a new soundcard
Jun 10, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
You just might be better off sticking to onboard. What onboard audio chipset do you currently have?

Onboard audio? Most definitely not.

GForceXIII, what are you looking for on a soundcard?

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 22
it's a via vt1708s.

tbh I'm satisfied with how my speaker's sound. I'm just itching to try a dedicated soundcard lol.
well, maybe something good for headphones? I'm planning to buy a sennheiser hd555 for gaming. the ad700 is overpriced here.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
it's a via vt1708s.

tbh I'm satisfied with how my speaker's sound. I'm just itching to try a dedicated soundcard lol.
well, maybe something good for headphones? I'm planning to buy a sennheiser hd555 for gaming. the ad700 is overpriced here.

Ok. What I mean is what are you using it for. Music? Games? Movies?

Because there are several options on the list that work just fine, and miles ahead of onboard audio. Just a few (very few) worth considering are Asus Xonar DG, Creative X-Fi Titanium and Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. There are better options on that link you posted, but they go over your budget.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
sorry for the double post, but I don't know how to edit posts.
are the audiotraks no good?

Yes, Audiotrak cards are good. Given that you also want to game, the [size=x-small]Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1e X-Fi Audio [/size]would work, but for the same price you could get a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, with more features and a better gaming support, as well as actual audio pipeline offloading.

Basically I'm saying that if you plan on gaming, it should be a card based on the X-Fi chip.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
what about the vanilla titanium?
I don't think I need audio offloading, I have a six core processor.

LOL. Always the same smart answer. Audio offloading is usually paired with higher audio performance from the same audio flags that offload the audio pipeline.

But yes, the X-Fi Titanium works just fine, and it's currently at a quite good price.

What I said above on audio offloading is for non gaming cards and older Creative cards such as first gen Audigy cards.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
LOL. Always the same smart answer. Audio offloading is usually paired with higher audio performance from the same audio flags that offload the audio pipeline.

But yes, the X-Fi Titanium works just fine, and it's currently at a quite good price.

What I said above on audio offloading is for non gaming cards and older Creative cards such as first gen Audigy cards.

I still don't understand about this audio offloading thing. I thought it had something to do with offloading the audio processing from my processors to the soundcards so it doesn't sacrifice any cpu cycles for audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back