a new mpx3?
Dec 4, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 60
ross22,Mikhail also has 1954 CBS/Hytron 6SN7 tubes which I've found to be as good as the Syl VT231 and were $150 for three.

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
ross22,Mikhail also has 1954 CBS/Hytron 6SN7 tubes which I've found to be as good as the Syl VT231 and were $150 for three.

I don't think I can really afford to spend much more then the $775 for the amp. I'm digging pretty deep as it is. (I'm a college student without any type of stable income. I can't even divert money away from food, because my meal plan is prepaid :p)

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 60
I've got the classic MPX3 with the EH tubes (without the upgraded caps) and it sounds mighty fine. You can hold off on NOS tubes until you can afford them and still have plenty of amp.

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by ross22
I don't think I can really afford to spend much more then the $775 for the amp. I'm digging pretty deep as it is. (I'm a college student without any type of stable income. I can't even divert money away from food, because my meal plan is prepaid :p)

Have you considered the secondary market? There's one that's been on sale for awhile:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=mpx3

I have to agree with the thought that the stock tubes are pretty good. I think you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it with the EHs. In my set up, with just the stocks, it was as good if not better in certain respects to my old RKV.

Just think, it'll be a purchase that you can grow with. Instead of buying a new amp in a couple of months, you can improve by buying new (old) tubes!

Dec 4, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 60
That amp is sold, unfortunately.
I keep getting amazed by that pic that is posted in this tread...so gorgeous to look at.

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #22 of 60
Very nice looking amp - thanks for the picture, SteeleBlayde. And I need a new amp for my headphones/stereo system, too....A bit more than I wanted to pay, but it may be hard to resist.

Anyone know if the Singlepower amps will sound good with AT W1000s?

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
Anyone know if the Singlepower amps will sound good with AT W1000s?

I may have heard a W1000 with the Supra once, but it would have been at a meet a while back. I can say that the Singlepower Supra is a great amp for the W2002. Whether that will generalize to the W1000 is something I can't know for sure.

Dec 4, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 60
Well, I wish I could say that the W1000s are comparable to the W2002s so they'll work great with the Supra, too, but.....
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info, Hirsch; hopefully someone here has heard the amp with the W100s.

Dec 4, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 60
OakIris,

I should be getting my PPX3 in the next couple of weeks if that's of any interest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

I should be getting my PPX3 in the next couple of weeks if that's of any interest.

Yes it is of interest, elnero. If you don't like it, send it to me!
wink.gif

I take it you've heard the amp with your W100s? Is it nice? (I'm still hoping to get a pair of W100s, believe it or not!) Let us know!

Dec 5, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 60
Nope, never heard it. I'm taking a big leap of faith on this one but I'm assuming from everything I've heard about it that it's pretty much what I've been looking for.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #28 of 60
Hmmm - hope you land on solid ground, elnero! Since I live in Colorado, perhaps I can audition one of the Singlepower amps with my headphones.... I've emailed Mikhail; I'll see what happens.

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
That amp is sold, unfortunately.
I keep getting amazed by that pic that is posted in this tread...so gorgeous to look at.

I'm the lucky one who bought that. It's on the way now along with some Ken-rad and Sylvania VT231's that I picked up on Tom Hankins' suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #30 of 60
Lucky you, busaganashi! Does your MPX3 have the lovely wood sides on the case like the picture in this thread? What headphones will you be using with it?

Also, arnett has an MPX3 for sale in the Gear For Sale forum, for a great price; it doesn't seem to have the same case (looks as if it is aluminum all around??) arnett also said that this amp and several of the other MPX3 amps he has heard has a definite hum in the left channel:

Quote:

Please note that there is a *barely audible* hum in the left channel. I can barely notice it with my Beyerdynamic ’phones so, for me, it hasn’t been an issue at all. The hum is a little louder using Sennheiser ’phones, but it still isn’t a problem. You certainly cannot hear it when music is playing. I believe the hum is a design flaw and not particular to this amp because I’ve heard it in 2 different MPX3s.

Anyone else experience this with the Singlepower headphone amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back