A new monster has born. His Name is: Denondynamic D2000
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Wilashort

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah, as the title says, a new monster of headphone has born....
Making some test with my recent adquired Denons. At first, i find it sounded as a boom boom box, with some recessed mids, very bright highs and shalower soundstage. A very good, but prominent low and midbass obscuring the mids (and the micro details in the music). It was opening up, after of various hours of burn in. But even so the low and mid bass is very prominent....
Then a little ago, i was experimenting a little; trying the DT990 velours that i have in my headphones, and i put them + the beyers foams in the Denons and viceversa by curiosity, to see what could happen.... Well, i find at first that this headphone sounded very sibilant with very bright mids and highs and with little bass; but now they have been settled down. Making this headphone sounded better as never imagined. Definitively a different Headphone...
This headphone sound as the DT990, but with a deeper and a little bit more bass depth (More now with my Denon AH-D5000 Cable) and a lower midbass presence with a little more weight in it (again, more with my current Denon cable); and slightly stronger upper bass, but with a little less midbass (i think that between the DT880 and DT990). The mids and highs have more presence that before. And the best of all, is that they have a LOT more soundstage, much wider and deeper, and is a LOT more spacious, and airier and much more holographic, than the stock Denon, which sounded something constricted/closed in, in comparisson. Even this soundstage and headstage is bigger and more coherent than my DT990 in stock form, being it more spacious (and a little bit more airier too), wider and deeper too.
The comfort was improved too. They are much more comfortable with the velours than in my DT990 and viceversa (i find the DT990 more comfortable with the Denon leathers too....).
Resuming, this headphone sound as my DT990 but brighter in higher volumes (much more than that my DT990 reach in my amp) but with less sibilance, faster and with more microdetails (even more with the current cable), which wasn't there in the Denons and DT990 in stock form. With a bigger and more spacious soundstage, compared to my DT990, and much more than my Denons.
This result, was a very positive and unexpected result, that be got with this "Mod" (My second).
And that that this headphone still haven't completed his burn in time (it have to settle down a little bit more), but this sound is improved at each minute that it pass.
Definitively a very nice mod that is recomended to do...

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 54
Well, after of some test. I did use a double layer and a much less porous foam* (because the DT990 foam is very porous and it let through hairs to the drivers diaphragm, and make to distort the bass (as occur in the DT990)), and the bright mids and highs, and sibilance has vanished almost for complete (the sibilance is lesser than stock DT990 and a little bit less than Denons), but the bass has improved** [it is as the Denon in stock form, and DT990 in quality too (but more balanced), when it doesn't get a little distorted for the hairs hehehe...] and the image. Now the separation is supreme (much better than stock Beyer DT990 and Denons) and the mids are more sweet and the best of all, is the soundstage [is the same of ginormous (almost double of DT990 size, specially depth)] but without the extreme brightness of before....
Ah yes, i forget the details.... they are more detailed (even more eith the current cable) than both, and sound more transparent too (much more than stock Denons)....

*replaced in the final form, by simple pillowcase cloth
**beter quality with the current cable (i dare to say, that one of the best in the world).

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 54
Pictures??

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 19, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 54
Sorry, i don't have/use cell phone....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use your Phone to take shots.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 54
weird...

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimPrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
weird...

Actually I think he is very lucky. Can't wait till retirement so I do not have to use either.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 54
Dude find a camera, and take pics! We want to see!!!!

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 54
Still no pics? Damn, I want to see these Denodynamics, lol...

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 54
I could buy a cheap/"cheap" (not so cheap) digital camera, but this site "temps" (need to buy some drivers (not need of more headphones after of this mod...)...) me to don't ...

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 54
Sorry, i don't understand at all, that you mean to say. But the stock earpad has a more prominent low and midbass and a constricted soundstage (sound much less spacious and airy in comparison), specially the width (seems to be collapsed). They open up, but these characteristics never change...
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you differentiate attendent "burn-in" effects--believers need only apply--from the effects of the mod itself?

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 54
Since DT880 pads are the same as the DT990s I will try that...but please don't be mad if I'm skeptic from my experience what happens to closed cans when listened to with open cans pads.

m00h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back