A new high end player: Colorfly
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #286 of 356
deadhorse.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #288 of 356
Those RMAA graphs are scary and hilarious at the same time. The only graph that is decent is the one where it is driving some 250 oh, Beyer DT880s. IMO, a portable player should be really good with IEMs and portables. The digital is nice to hook it up to your DAC, to drive more heavy duty cans. It seems to back up what Mike at Headfonia.com found, that the player has a lean sound and the bass boost is poorly implemented. Disappointing, but not really surprising. I liked the S:Flo2 and I love my QLS QA350, but this seems much worse in value and performance than both.

May 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #295 of 356
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!  I'm tired of all the pros and cons, everything has these. Function over form is what I'm interested in and it is my personal opinion, after months of constant use, there is no other portable player that can give me what the Colorfly can. It is an incredibly high resolution player that tells it how it is but it takes time to realise this. Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but it should be taken seriously.  Quote from German review  - "should take the Colorfly very seriously - especially in terms of its sound performance". 
Digressing slightly .... Last week I tried something different (for me at least). I fed the Colorfly into a custom built Amp, no EQ, no Bass or Treble control. Straight in, straight out and the sound was truly Gob smacking! Leads me to ask a question that slightly embarasses me....... What is the point of using head amps on anything that has no TRUE line out? If you have to use the headphone out then surely no additional head amp can improve on the sound quality? Only alter the way it sounds. Sound is not like other things such as, I dunno, an apple. We can see, smell and taste an apple, we know if it's gone bad or not. With sound however we have only that, sound. And, within reasonable techie specs, surely that must be very subjective. I sometimes prefer to listen through a good valve head amp but that does not improve on sound quality, it only changes it. When I was researching speakers in Japan one word kept coming up.... TONE. Why is the Stradivaris violin so sought after? TONE. Any half decent violin can reproduce a perfect note. The Colorfly was designed to reproduce classical music and convey the tone of the various instruments and the sad fact is, most music is not mastered or recorded with the same attention to detail and 'naturalness' as classical. Fact.
As we say in the U.K." Horses for courses"
If you make a playlist some tracks will sound great, some mediocre and some pretty bad. If only one track sounds truly great then you know your gear is good and the other tracks are simply not up to the mark. Sadly, for some perhaps, the Colorfly is very unforgiving of poor recordings. I have to say, my QLS at 16/44 can sound pretty good through a full size system but again it depends on how good the recording is and I wonder how often people forget about this side of things.  

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #298 of 356
Wrong. The Colorfly easily drives any IEM, effortlessly and with excellent control. Channel balance is also superb. I have used it with several IEM's and also top spec full size pro cans, all with no problems. There is a review on Amazon U.K. that you might find of interest.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #300 of 356

It was originally quoted for that price. Not a drop. Only that people always compare things arbitrarily will find that the selling price in US or Europe is higher and suddenly searched that the selling price in the place of origin (China) is lower which will lead to a conclusion that something quality-wise or sound-wise causes the price drop.

This is a free forum and we are living in a free country. But I really wish to see that people can respect themselves by telling what they really hear in first person, not from hype or imagination. Lots of people, including me, as a forum newbie, rely on the information to make a decision for the most suitable product we can buy with the hard earn money.

I can tell you, from my experience, that product from China may have quality issue, but so do things from US or Europe. I had a Rolex (purchased directly from authorized dealer) which crown came loose; and a Hermes bag with broken belt after a few times usage. The point is, and the most important is, their aftersale service was good. I am looking forward to seeing things like this to be happened in China manufacturers. Wish Colorfly be one of them.

Quote:
Price of C4 dropped a lot in China now (RMB3500 for 16GB now, sub-600 usd)
HM801 asks for RMB5000, or sub-800 usd.
A signal
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back