A new DAP - the constant struggle of finding a good new player.
Oct 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #18 of 20
so, if 6hr is good enough for you or you have mobile charger. dx90 ftw. and rockbox it for the ak level ui

Haven't tried Rockbox - does it make a huge difference? Have to admit that I'm mostly an Album by Album listener so the UI doesn't really bother me on teh DX90

I think if u want a player upgrade, ur looking at Cowon P1/M, the AK higher end series and perhaps also Sony ZX2/100.

I have many happy memories with Cowon players befor and liked them. Been awhile since I ditched my Cowon D2 and got a DX50 and haven'¨t looked back. This one looked really nice.

I'd go with the ZX-2. It's right up there with the 240, so I've read. Was very impressed with the Jnr as well.

Do you mean the AK Junior? Have read that people are either really impressed or they are somewhat wanting something more and that it doesn't compare to the DX90. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 20
In that habit of usage, rockbox does not offer more and even limits the power of the dx90. you can only play 16/48 using rockbox. but the lurker mod though, is a must imo.

I look for an side-grade, not necessarily upgrade from dx90. In your case, I may go for a zx2 for it's a good all-rounder, not for a sound upgrade. N6 out-performs the dx90 by a little bit, but it has loud hiss with iems and is very heavy. Hifiman DAPs are also great choices. even the "lower end" HM650 has a solid dac section comparable to the dx90 and they have switchable amp sections that are top notch in the dap world. but they are also big and don't last long in terms of battery. i don't even think the ak100ii can compare to dx90 in sound, so i stayed away from ak products. plenue m has a decent sound, but i can't find the queue list and don't know what my next song will be(not a problem if you play albums).

In the recent future, x7 may worth waiting for while the dx80 is not intended to outperform the dx90.

other than those choices, you will have to look at totl daps like PAW Gold.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 20
I will have to check out the lurker mod
  In that habit of usage, rockbox does not offer more and even limits the power of the dx90. you can only play 16/48 using rockbox. but the lurker mod though, is a must imo.

I look for an side-grade, not necessarily upgrade from dx90. In your case, I may go for a zx2 for it's a good all-rounder, not for a sound upgrade. N6 out-performs the dx90 by a little bit, but it has loud hiss with iems and is very heavy. Hifiman DAPs are also great choices. even the "lower end" HM650 has a solid dac section comparable to the dx90 and they have switchable amp sections that are top notch in the dap world. but they are also big and don't last long in terms of battery. i don't even think the ak100ii can compare to dx90 in sound, so i stayed away from ak products. plenue m has a decent sound, but i can't find the queue list and don't know what my next song will be(not a problem if you play albums).

In the recent future, x7 may worth waiting for while the dx80 is not intended to outperform the dx90.

other than those choices, you will have to look at totl daps like PAW Gold.

I will have to look into Rockbox. Thank you for the reply, a lot of good feedback there! :) I'm starting  to do list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back