A new DAP - the constant struggle of finding a good new player.
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Foolwolf

Head-Fier
Hi fellow Head-FI:ers. I have a dilemma in picking out a new DAP. In that regard I see that many have the same problem lately.
It is a sign of good fortune though, since it means that there are many new players on the market. So I'm sharing some of my thoughts and I will be grateful for any commetns and tips, ideas testimonials of owners of DAP's and people in the same situation who are happy with their (new) DAPs.

I live in Sweden so finding shops to listen to players are very - or even impossible to find. I have to take posts, video's, testimonials etc and try to find something worth giving a shot.
Most likely I will also hve to order directly from eBay/China.

First of all, I have plenty of different headphones, ranging from IEM's in the midfi section to higher end open and closed over ear headphones. HE400i, Momentum 2, AKG Q701 etc. Will most likely get new headphones and change my range of headphones. Today I own an iBasso DX90 and am fairly pleased with it. What I'm looking for is something that will make an impact. Good sound-stage, clean audio and good representation of the music I listen to. I mostly listen to FLAC from CD rips - but also owns a variation of HRA files. DSD is nice - but not something I think I will invest in in a foreseeable future. 

Good audio qualities are number one, but also a stable and somewhat easy to handle product is essential. I don't aim to redo all my FLAC's due to lacking software etc.
Bluetooth or WIFI is also nice to have - but no deal breakers since I aim to mainly use it as a on the go system with headphones and not as a streamer. Sound should be engaging and clear. 

DAPS I have been looking into:

Colorfly C10
Colorfly have a nice reputation and I like the vintage slider and it is said to have a nice sound. A bit on the low-tech area perhaps. Very little reviews to be found online.

Cayin N5 
The Cayin sailed up as something to look into thanks to a nice review here on Head-FI. Looks like a good powerful player. Not sure if it will be a big enough step from the iBasso DX90 though.

Astell and Kern JR
Mostly a tech-savvy solution of the ones I have looked into as well as having a very sleek design. Sharp edges and a question of sound quality in comparison to other players since the price will be more or less the same as the above mentioned.

iBasso DX80
Only rumors and a few posts here and there but this one could be something of a smaller up-grade. Don't know so much about it yet, but may prove to be worth holding the buy notion a bit.

PONO
Was looking into the PONO but after some discussions with PONO owners I don't know what to think. The reviews are both high and low. Seems like a love it or leave it player. Not the easiest to handle and feature wise not the best of players. It will be expansive with import from US though. UK could be an option but the price will be high regardless.

if we are to spend more money...
Because nicer toys.. :wink:

*Cayin n6?

*Astell and Kern AK1**?
Don't know enough about them and the price is getting at the point where you really like to listen to one before making up your mind. And I don't know of any places where I live where you can listen to them.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 20
None of the above mentioned DAP's will outperform the DX90. That's just how it is. The DX90 is simply that good.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 20
  None of the above mentioned DAP's will outperform the DX90. That's just how it is. The DX90 is simply that good.

Thanks for the input - but based on what? Have you heard the Cayin or Colorfly? Those are the ones I have heard SHOULD sound great - not sure if as great or equal though. Just curious :)

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 20
Had the AK Jr., AK 100 II and the Cayin C6 on loan and heard the Pono from an friend. Don't get me wrong, they all sound great. But none of them are a really a step forward compared to the DX90.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 20
You need to hear a 901 , the only affordable player that is noticeably better than dx90, or get a better for the dx90 eg Lehmann Traveller.

The daps you mentioned are more of a sideways move.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 20
Thanks both for explaining.
So if the players I have mentioned are only sideways steps - what would be the step up? 901? Anything else that you could recommend or is the iBasso just very price-worthy contender that it is more sense to save up for better headphones? I mean, I won't shy away from buying more headphones! :wink: :D

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 20
  Thanks both for explaining.
So if the players I have mentioned are only sideways steps - what would be the step up? 901? Anything else that you could recommend or is the iBasso just very price-worthy contender that it is more sense to save up for better headphones? I mean, I won't shy away from buying more headphones! :wink: :D

Yeah, the DX90 is just that damn good for it's money. I would rather spend some money on a new headphone, which tailors the sound you want more than a DAP would do.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 20
dx90 is great for its money , i upgraded to ZX2 which sounds better but not more than probably a 20%

i managed to get one used at a terrific price , so i guess it's worth the money

but bang-for-buck, dx90 is king

cheers

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 20
i am looking for an upgrade from the dx90 because of its poooooor battery life. 6 hours for me. i have tried daps you mentioned above, except the pono, and none beats the dx90, so i am pretty sad here. only sony has more than 20 battery life, but the a series has a loud background noise even for outdoor use. and i don't likethe android on zx1/2. sound wise, the zx1/2 is on the level of dx90 though. on the go, i use rockbox on dx90 for its top ui and i don't play hires in a noisy environment.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 20
How can  six hours not be  enough? are you flying every day?
Portable chargers are cheap and easy to carry

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 20
I must say I'm torn on battery life, having the AR M2 (8hrs), QP1R (10hrs), and the ZX2 (a helluva lot of hours) I like the set and forget notion of the Sony, yes I have a portable battery or two (Aukey 12000mah fast charger and Anker 20000mah IQ charger) with me at any time, but if you want to travel light... (I commute for 5hrs a day and have a lunch break, so the DX90 would be virtually a no go for me, and if I stayed out somewhere one night...)

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 20
Forget about the charger, get yourself some Samsung Galaxy S3 Batteries (they are like 10€ a piece here in germany) and you are good to go. I always have 2 of them
with me when i am out and about with my DX90. Thats a total of min. 18 hours. that should be enough for the day.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 20
I must say I'm torn on battery life, having the AR M2 (8hrs), QP1R (10hrs), and the ZX2 (a helluva lot of hours) I like the set and forget notion of the Sony, yes I have a portable battery or two (Aukey 12000mah fast charger and Anker 20000mah IQ charger) with me at any time, but if you want to travel light... (I commute for 5hrs a day and have a lunch break, so the DX90 would be virtually a no go for me, and if I stayed out somewhere one night...)

I'm totally with you. I quite frequently have to work overtime and with everyone gone, I will turn the music on. I used to have the chance to charge it at work but not any more. I will probably look for a higher capacity battery that will fit or go for the PAW 5000. My friend reported 15+ hour of play time on that machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back