A new contender in the NOS realm of DACs " Lab 12, DAC1 Reference"
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #46 of 105
@Lucus What you have described is exatcly Rockna WaveLight minus all the issues with tubes. Have not heard Lab12 dac so I can't comment how big or small the difference is.
@alekc
Do you own the Wavelight?
Have you experience with other DACs like this?

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #47 of 105
@Lucus What you have described is exatcly Rockna WaveLight minus all the issues with tubes. Have not heard Lab12 dac so I can't comment how big or small the difference is.
First: The Wavelight is twice the price of the Lab12...! I 've already had experiences with R2R, and I was not fully satisfied: Lack of attacks (Totaldac), too sweet (Gustard R26)...
Second: I don't see tubes as an issue in this DAC: These are preamp tubes (double triodes), easy to find, with life expectation for about 10/15 000 hours without issues. Tubes may be problematic in poweramps, not in output stages like this DAC...
I just wonder why Stratos has choosen the TDA1543 as chips, and not more "modern" ones like AKM or BurrBrown. Apparently the Philips chips have a very analog sound, that's why, but I can not say, I've never heard this kind of chips before

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #49 of 105
Thanks !
One thing also really really bother me: It is the insane price increases in this sector, especially from european/US manufacturer. It is not rare to see 50% price increase for nothing in sound improvement, just another design/chip/look...At least Lab12 remains moderate (for a european) in his price evolutions.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #50 of 105
@alekc
WL costs about 6200€ here in Germany :scream::sob:

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #51 of 105
@Lucus

Hi
just as undecided as I am, or have you already bought one?
Or perhaps decided on a different one?

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #53 of 105
@Lucus
Cool.
Did you ordered it directly from Lab12?
But if you are coming from a Gustard X26, it will be quite a change for you !
What do you mean by this?
Will it be an step forward or back?

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #54 of 105
I think it will be a completely different sound: X26 is an ESS chip DAC, very dynamic and with a lot of details. I have tried him but could not really enjoy, I find him a bit brutal, details obsessed and with this ESS digital glare I hate...
The Lab12 is a completely other philosophy and sound: NOS, multibit, tube output, old Philips chips : It will be much softer, rounder, warmer, nore "analog" (whatever it means...)
But it of course all depends on the synergies with the rest of your system, the music you like, your room accoustic....
Welcome in the High End universe !

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #55 of 105
@Lucus

My music style is most of the time Metal like Black Metal, Power Metal, Progressiv Metal, Death Metal,….
But also Rock, Blues, a bit of Jazz.
I‘m listen with HPs like Kennerton Rognir and ZMF VC with a SPL Phonitor X witch is very neutral sounding. It add‘s nothing to the music.
I want to enjoy the music but also dive into it - get the details and nuances.

Btw have had a look to the Schitt Yggdrasil Multibit DAC?
It has modern chips but without the tube.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #56 of 105
Can this DAC handle fast music tracks like Metal or is this better on other DACs with R2R or Sigma/Delta chips?

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #57 of 105
It really depends what you are looking for, and the rest of your system: If itis slam, punch, bass and dynamic, I would rather go toe the Ferrum Wandla, for ex., which is a beast in these areas. I see that you have already a SPL, so why not try the SPL Diamond ? It has an AKM chip (4490), so it would be halfway between your X26 and the Lab12. But if you seek to "soften" your music, to have a warmer groundtone, with less slam and punch, the Lab12 could be a good solution !
Your music, your choice ....

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #58 of 105
@Lucus
I can get one for 1700€
But if read this it could be not the right one for me. I don’t want a „soft“ sound, just more warmth.
🤔

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #59 of 105
@Lucus
I have a Cayin Tube CD player (listed in Clasdifieds) with the same tubes.
I liked the sound of it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #60 of 105
Got mine a few day ago.
Overall sound is very good - great soundstage, good details, nice trebles and midrange, more relaxed sounding.
Not that bass heavy and detailed as my Gustard.
I think that there is a bit of distortion in the sound, a bit scratchy witch i don´t like.
Could this be coming from the tubes?
At the momet i have the stock EH tubes installed.
Perhapse i will switch them to Philips JAN tubes that i have as spare parts from my Cayin CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back