A new contender in the NOS realm of DACs " Lab 12, DAC1 Reference"
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #91 of 101
Hi,
nice to hear your DAC has arrieved and you are happy with it at the moment.
So it seems that mine is defective :tired_face:
What music do you listen to?
What source do you use?
I listen all sort of music, but mainly jazz/vocal, world music and classic. I love Chopin, and I have some pieces that are key for me to judge a DAC.
I use mainly my streamer TotalDac, either via NAS or via Qobuz in streaming

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #92 of 101
The only classic i have is some soundtracks from Hans Zimmer where i have problems with.
The most problems is with metal.
Perhapse i call the German distributor for checking my device.
If you were also in Germany i would ask you to check it in your system...... if you would do that of course.......

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #94 of 101
@Lucus
I still have the problem with the distortions.
It is also not genre-dependent.
It is strongest with fast metal or even Hans Zimmer.
Don't know if your unit is faulty.

But, I remember some of my 'metal-head' friends frequently remarking how metal was more satisfying when played on cassettes than on any other media.
That was a prevalent notion in their scene back then, so you might consider that as a kind of advise.

To elaborate on this, 'fast metal' you are mentioning, is basically a distortion-ridden extravaganza of sound packaged as convincingly as possible as music.
This is by default. You can't change that i suppose, but it might be beneficial to stick to less revealing sources for that genre.
Ones that can facilitate a 'smoothing' effect and make things more palatable.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #95 of 101
As an experience: On sunday, before going to the opera, I was listening to AC DC 'Live in Buenos Aires"= Never has this album been more satisfactory than played on the Lab12 ! I would say that this DAC is meant to play such music, heavy metal, Hard Rock etc...The chips and tube output are somewhat softening the attacks and adding even harmonics which make it very pleasurable and nice to hear, never harsh of fatiguing

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #96 of 101
It´s not only with metal.
I have the same problems with Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean) or other music.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #97 of 101
Hi Running Wild
I will also take the bet of the Lab12 Ref, after a disapointing experience with the Ferrum Wandla. As always, the final result depends on the synergies of your set up...You have lot of headphones, and I am a loudspeaker hearer, so I can not really judge the future results, but I expect from the Lab12 saturated sound colors, non-tiring hearing sessions (I canlisten to music hours long...) and a nice sound. I don't really care for "neutrality" (what is neutral anyway, as you never heard the original sound) and was quite disapointed by the "new" DACs= Lot of details, but poor music....
Yeah this DAC and the Holo May have alot of people thinking they are musical DACs which couldn't be further from the truth..Most of the reviews you're reading are paid (in some way shape or form) advertising for those DACs. GoldenSound for example schills hard for these two brands..They are Flavor of the Month DACs, they don't make music, they make You tube videos talking about things that have nothing to do with music..Like "bass extension" and timbre, etc..Who really cares about breaking down the nuances, music is about the whole, coherent message. Lab12 does that.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #98 of 101
I´ve listened to some variation of tracks on satursday.
First i listen to Dire Straits - there is no "distortion" in the music, very spacious, detailed - liked it very much.
Then some Diana Krall - there is little "distortion" but listanable - sound also great.

I think the busier and more complex the music is there is more "distortion" in the mix.
Like Hans Zimmers "Pirates of The Caribbean Orchestra Suite Part 1, I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time / At Wit's End" from the Album "The World of Hans Zimmer - A Symphonic Celebration" when the Horns (i think) begans or some Death Metal from Dark Oath "Gold I (Dawn of Time)" or Seven Spires these are unlistenable.

The same music played with my Gustard X26 Pro, Questyle CMA15 or the DAC in my SPL Phonitor X - not problems........

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #99 of 101
That's very strange indeed: If it was a "hardware " problem, it will always distort, not randomly...I rather suspect a compatibility problem with your streamer/player, or the source in front of the Lab12.
As for me, Hans Zimmer just sounds glorious with the DAC1 ref !

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #100 of 101
That's very strange indeed: If it was a "hardware " problem, it will always distort, not randomly...I rather suspect a compatibility problem with your streamer/player, or the source in front of the Lab12.
As for me, Hans Zimmer just sound glorious with the DAC1 ref !
Mmh......
I have tried it with different sources (Auralic Aries G2.1, Macbook Pro M1Pro with Audirvana), different Amps (Flux Labs FA-10, SPL Phonitor X, Questyle CMA15), differnt USB cabkes (Tellurium Q SIlver, Audioquest Coffee) and a Audioquest Digital Coax cable.
Changed the tubes also to a set of Amperex.
Nothing helps.........

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #101 of 101

I think the busier and more complex the music is there is more "distortion" in the mix.
Like Hans Zimmers "Pirates of The Caribbean Orchestra Suite Part 1, I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time / At Wit's End" from the Album "The World of Hans Zimmer - A Symphonic Celebration" when the Horns (i think) begans or some Death Metal from Dark Oath "Gold I (Dawn of Time)" or Seven Spires these are unlistenable.
I am listening at this piece of music at this very moment, and it sounds absolutely wonderful. I love this album of Hans Zimmer. Such a spacious sound, well recorded, and the DAC manage to render all the layers of the orchestra as well as the richness of the different instruments. It is marvellous! My preferred pieces are the 3 “Gladiator” ones. The DAC manage very well the complexity of the sound: No confusion, it sounds like a real orchestre when you go to concert
I am also amazed by the quality of the highs: such fine highs I have never heard previously on any DAC I have had ( and there are a lot…). Never aggressive, perfectly integrated and very informative: I think here is the added value of the valve output stage !
On “now we are free” the toms are really coming from behind, with such a depth: Impressive ! And there is a lot of small percussions/ cymbals/ glockenspiel which you can hear very finely within the big orchestral arrangement.

I think this DAC excels at big orchestral pieces and classical / acoustic music. It is on the other hand perhaps a bit limited for modern music, where it does not hit and slam like a more modern layout ( ESS for ex.) also the bass is full and there is plenty of it, it is just perhaps not as dry and low as with a sabre chip

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back