a new budget IEM: Maximo iM-390
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #121 of 150
hey guys,

whats the difference between the im 490 and 390? THis company has no central website set up
frown.gif
.. hard to find info.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #126 of 150
Rec'd at their whse last week, and looks like they just started shipping today (even though Buy still says "out of stock" at this moment).

And I still owe all the current owners an update for the upgrade program. Will have that shortly...

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #128 of 150
Bingo,... just checked Buy.com's order status page and the NEW iM-390's are on their way to my house,... ALL OF THEM! Every single one. Nah, just kidding, just mine is on it's way to me. All the others I imagine have other destinations!

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #129 of 150
Well I have them in hand and in ear! They do sound better than the originals. I can actually hear a difference. If they're like the 1st pair, they'll prolly improve on their sound over the next few days too!

Andrew,... please let us know what the process will be for the exchange. What will you need from us.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #130 of 150
Upgrade to Latest Version

For those interested in upgrading to the newer version, thanks for your interest and patience. If you were a head-fi member as of 9/30/07, and you received the original version of iM-390, we'd like to offer for you upgrade to the new version (full retail package) for US$12.

No need to send back your old product. But you will need to provide proof of purchase (a copy of a sales receipt or similar) along with your payment. If you registered for our mail-in rebate, let me know the name it's under and I should be able to find you that way.

We're able to take Paypal, MC/Visa, or check payment. For anyone who is interested, p/m me and I'll provide the necessary details for you to submit your proof of purchase and payment. Or let me know if any questions.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #131 of 150
OK,... it's been a couple days since receiving the new versions. With both the new and old version in hand, I can definitely say there is a difference in how they sound. I'm able to tell the two apart by looking at the back of the units, the old version has @ sign, but instead of the 'a' in there, there's an 'm'.

On both sets, the bass (which is most inportant to me) is incredible, but the new versions seems to do a better job of balancing the bass with everything else. Also,... the new version seems to do a better job with the mids as well. I don't have to EQ down the middle so much to get a good clean balance. Fact is, I don't have to tweak so much with the newer version as I did with the old.

I will definitely replace my old version with the new! Twleve bucks sounds like S&H. Sweet customer service! Like I said before, I wished Maximo made Kitchen Appliances like refrigerators,... hell, I wished they made cars!

Thanks again Andrew H.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #132 of 150
I received my new ones today. After about 7 hours burn in, I'm trying them out now, as I type. The difference is dramatic! They sound great! Well worth the list price, even better if you get a discount, rebate, etc. There may be a little less bass, but the greatest change is that the mids are controlled. These sound really very good. I'll see what happens with more burn in, but right now, I'm happy.

Hey Andrew, way to stand up for your product! I will wholeheartedly endorse these every chance I get!

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #133 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drpepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my new ones today. After about 7 hours burn in, I'm trying them out now, as I type. The difference is dramatic! They sound great! Well worth the list price, even better if you get a discount, rebate, etc. There may be a little less bass, but the greatest change is that the mids are controlled. These sound really very good. I'll see what happens with more burn in, but right now, I'm happy.

Hey Andrew, way to stand up for your product! I will wholeheartedly endorse these every chance I get!

Yeah,... got my upgrades today as well. Haven't opened them yet,... I'm still enjoying the 1st revised pair I got back on the 24th of last month. I bought ordered them like days after I ordered the old versions. Wanted to catch the old price point before it changed, plus I knew from the moment Andrew said that there'd be an upgrade path, I would be exchang the old for the new. And since Andrew's upgrade program didn't force me to visit the local Post Office to return the orginals, I gave them to my second son. He can only hear bass anyway (hell that's all the music he listens to has in it),... now he's in heaven.

You're right,... the difference IS dramatic. Much cleaner!

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #134 of 150
I just received my iM-390's from Amazon two days ago and they were the old version unfortunately so they still have some old stock around, just a heads up. I like this old version but I really want to try the new version now. After many hours of listening I can see that the mids could be improved and have more control which the new version is supposed to improve on and possibly more of a controlled bass would be nice. These iM-390's are comfortable and do not fall out of my ears like my stock Meizu M6 earbuds did when moving and also compared to the Meizu earbuds they need 35% less of a volume setting. The bass (loving this), highs and isolation are much better as is the look, they look pretty sweet inserted, don't stick out much and are not flashy as may be suggested from pics. I don't have any other earbuds/IEM's to compare to sorry. Something about the metal alloy makes them feel more solid and give it a unique look, they are not heavy when inserted.

edit: Got in touch with Andrew and I'll be getting my upgrade pair shortly.

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #135 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by jTF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys,

whats the difference between the im 490 and 390? THis company has no central website set up
frown.gif
.. hard to find info.

Just got 490's, but don't have 390's to compare to
frown.gif

They are supposed to sound very similar...

There's a seperate thread on the 490's.. so I won't go OT here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back