1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

A Motherboard with usb dac's in mind

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by fluidz, Dec 6, 2013.
First

Back
1 2
  1. gr8soundz

Yeah, I was really surprised at the cpu heat. I triple checked everything and have some experience mounting heat pipes. Found out others had similar issues. I believe the heatsink design may be the issue, lacking enough depth or surface area for the heat generated (at least compared to my other builds using Zalman and Nofan hardware).

Unless you plan to use a 25w amd am1 cpu (streacom makes a mount for it), intel's coolest running cpus with igpu are 35w.

The Streacom 5 is much wider compared to the 8 so I don't know that it'll have all the same issues. Spreading things out should at least help with hard drive heat (theoretically). And the riser (if used) might add the extra beefiness the heatsink needs.

Good luck.

2. prot
    Thx for all the tips. Planning to keep all very simple and as lowpower as possible. Lowpower ram, lowpower cpu and just a small m2 drive. Or even an SD card. My media is on the NAS, only need space for the OS.
    Now I just need some time. And prolly wont have any before may. We'll see

3. blackie333
    I have Z87 chipset motherboard without USB DAC support, seems newer generations have this function.
    Is there some inexpensive PCI-e USB card which support usb power-off function?
    I don't want to spend 400-500 EUR for an audiophile card like SOtM Audio tX-USBexp, but some cheap card supporting functions offered by Gigabyte would be nice.

4. leeperry

Break the +5V pin of your USB cable and you're good to go [​IMG]

vnmslsrbms likes this.
First

Back
1 2