A lot of ZMFs in Classifieds
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

zlayde

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all - I'm considering getting a pair of ZMFs (not sure which yet). I did notice A LOT of ZMFs end up on classifieds. Any idea why that's the case? Just curious. I'm wondering if people just get bored with their gear or if there's some other reason.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 64
They are just very popular with the new releases from 2022.

Many sell their old ones to "upgrade" to an Atrium or Caldera.
Some bought both of the new releases but can keep only one.
Some bought a limited edition in ZMF November and now have to let go if their regular Version.

There is no quality issue if you're concerned about that.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 64
Helpful to hear this. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 64
I'll chime in as someone who owns a lot of ZMFs and has also sold a pair or two...

I think a big reason is because there is so much variety in the wood types/colors with the limited editions. I've certainly been tempted to buy another color/variety of the same headphone I already have (with the intention of selling that one).

Another thing (for me at least) is that ZMFs tend to hold value particularly well, so it's easier to try out a headphone I might not have otherwise, knowing I can likely sell it without too much of a loss. I chalk it up to my rental fee :)

Zero quality issues with ZMF stuff. However they can be a bit divisive. I find they are also REALLY hyped by some reviewers. I LOVE ZMF, but it's tough watching some reviews really hyping up the VC, Atrium, and Calderas. That's not ZMF's fault. I think the wood/aesthetic gets people really excited sometimes, and you want to really love the headphone due to that (plus Zach + the company being generally really great) so you end up with that unintentional little bias going in. Some people probably listen to these reviews and are pretty disappointed when they listen. I find that a lot of reviews of ZMFs online do not match up at all with what I was hearing. Atrium is a good example. I had to change pads before I enjoyed it. Listening to the reviews with the stock pads after I tried it out...I was pretty confused. Wasn't hearing the same thing at all.

In my case, I loved the Atticus and thought the VC would be right up my alley as my next upgrade. Turned out I wasn't a huge fan and sold it. Then bought another limited edition earlier this year and told myself THIS time I will love it, plus look at how gorgeous it is! And then was reminded why I didn't like it so I sold it again...:triportsad:

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 64
I think if you're looking at a headphone from ZMF then you're not necessarily buying it just for the sound. You have to see the whole thing as a package.

The build, wood, metal work, the lifetime warranty on drivers, the packaging etc make for a nice ownership experience. The sound of most ZMFs have a certain "signature" and may or may not be to everyone's liking. Which is why I think so many ZMFs end up in the classifieds. Not saying that they sound bad but there are headphones that may offer better SQ/value. This is sadly more so the case with their recent flagships. Similar to what kaakow said; I love the Eikon but I kinda didn't understand Atrium or Caldera. Defintely audition before you buy.

I'd like to add an Eikon to my collection this year. Let's see.

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 64
They just want to upgrade to new one mostly, the risk of being a manufacture that release a new product and different kind cosmetic, actually, many selling listing imo it's a good sign because it's popular and you can tell by the fast the listing gone as well as good or bad indicator, not a secret that ZMF after sales is one of the best, top notch i've ever seen in audio gear, no wonder ppl like them

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 64
The thing we get the most with in house customer service is that a user will try our headphones, and try it with "x" piece of gear/source chain which is vastly different than "y" reviewer who seemed to love it and speak of a completely different sound and maybe different pads. The new owner will wonder "what the heck!" and have buyers remorse and sell very quickly.

Anyways - the point is this -

I design pretty eclectic headphones with a ton of personal and subjective tuning options from pads to changing sound from their high impedance as well as front filters, pad material and drivers with thick surrounds that do burn in with use. This leads to an experience that is usually appreciated more with time, and minor tweaks to a system until our headphone becomes a major cog in that personal audio journey.

Reviews and experience can vary a lot regardless of the headphones, but it can certainly seem like it varies more outwardly with ZMFs because of both the build and Sonic modularity.

So what I usually see from emails and stories is that owners will either get our headphone, listen on their existing gear, write off the headphone quickly and sell it, or they will keep the headphone and go on a journey with it. Whatever the end result is will vary ofcourse, but as others have mentioned above the different "personalities" of our headphones do make it fun to try different options in the zmf collection as they are all different.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 64
I think if you're looking at a headphone from ZMF then you're not necessarily buying it just for the sound. You have to see the whole thing as a package.

The build, wood, metal work, the lifetime warranty on drivers, the packaging etc make for a nice ownership experience.^^ The sound of most ZMFs have a certain "signature" and may or may not be to everyone's liking. Which is why I think so many ZMFs end up in the classifieds. Not saying that they sound bad but there are headphones that may offer better SQ/value. This is sadly more so the case with their recent flagships. Similar to what kaakow said; I love the Eikon but I kinda didn't understand Atrium or Caldera. Defintely audition before you buy.

I'd like to add an Eikon to my collection this year. Let's see.
^^ This is truly evidenced by the immense & growing anticipation of & excitement about “ZMF November”.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 64
The thing we get the most with in house customer service is that a user will try our headphones, and try it with "x" piece of gear/source chain which is vastly different than "y" reviewer who seemed to love it and speak of a completely different sound and maybe different pads. The new owner will wonder "what the heck!" and have buyers remorse and sell very quickly.

Anyways - the point is this -

I design pretty eclectic headphones with a ton of personal and subjective tuning options from pads to changing sound from their high impedance as well as front filters, pad material and drivers with thick surrounds that do burn in with use. This leads to an experience that is usually appreciated more with time, and minor tweaks to a system until our headphone becomes a major cog in that personal audio journey.

Reviews and experience can vary a lot regardless of the headphones, but it can certainly seem like it varies more outwardly with ZMFs because of both the build and Sonic modularity.

So what I usually see from emails and stories is that owners will either get our headphone, listen on their existing gear, write off the headphone quickly and sell it, or they will keep the headphone and go on a journey with it. Whatever the end result is will vary ofcourse, but as others have mentioned above the different "personalities" of our headphones do make it fun to try different options in the zmf collection as they are all different.

Heard it from the man himself!

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 64
I'll chime in as well and say that ZMF is not just audio or a headphone company...it's an entire experience. A hell of a good one at that! I encourage anyone to take the journey Zach is mentioning here at some point if your wallet can allow it of course.

Whatever the end result is will vary ofcourse, but as others have mentioned above the different "personalities" of our headphones do make it fun to try different options in the zmf collection as they are all different.
^^Case in point! So true!!

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 64
It could also be an indication of a lack of manufacturing consistency. I for one can’t deal with that.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 64
It could also be an indication of a lack of manufacturing consistency. I for one can’t deal with that.

That’s not the case with ZMF :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back