A long and lasting love
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 50
My beloved LP Sextetts weathered many storms including HD 600, 702's, DT 150's,DT 770's until my baby Stax...the lil proletariat electrostats simply shamed them all in terms of natural, transient response....I'm smitten....60 days in and and still in awe of these lil battery eating bastards......

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #19 of 50
I have one set of Grados 225s here to stay and the work horse of the headphone world the sennheiser HD-600 never going any where. Just recently bought the igrados and put a new cable on them and like them very much.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 50
The Stax SR-007BL.
It was my first "real" headphone (following a Grado SR80) and I have had it around for 3 1/2 years so far. Have gone through some 7-8 other Stax 'phones since then, but it is the only one left.

Says it all!
o2smile.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #21 of 50
I've kept my AKG K270 Playback for around a year and a half which is by far longer than any of my other current cans. I preferred it over all the closed headphone under $500 that I've tried.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 50
Headfiers recommended the AKG K501 to me many years ago. I still have mine, and it remains a favorite.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #23 of 50
I have owned same Koss ESP950 over 15 years now and one ER4S almost 9 years. Although my listening time with ESP950 has been less and less now due to many other phones that I am trying these days. But I still listen to ER4S as much as my other recent addition of IEMs.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #24 of 50
I have run the gamut of mid-fi headphones without ever getting really satisfied. Recently though I took the plunge with a pair of HD600 and don't think I will be selling them anytime soon. They don't quite have as wide a soundstage as either my AD700/900 headphones but I prefer their warmer sound and no fatigue issues due to brightness. The AD700 did not have the fatigue issue but was not detailed enough where as the AD900 was detailed but caused fatigue for me. Having said that I gave away my AD700 to my Mother for Christmas and I may buy another one as I do like their airy presentation.

I may also have a local head-fier create me some balanced custom cables and upgrade my amp for the HD600 if I am convinced after a visit and listening session that I want to take the plunge into the balanced waters.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 50
I still have AKG K701 #2896 that I bought in April 2006, but I wouldn't say it's been a "long and lasting love." I don't like it nearly as much now and it's only a matter of time before I toss it.

The Audio-Technica AD2000, on the other hand, is still my top dog. Though the actual unit I have now isn't the original I bought in June 2006, it's still kinda amazing I still have the AD2K despite everything that's since come and gone. I don't foresee tossing it either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #26 of 50
I've had my AKG K340 for about 19 years and they still look new. Within the last 2 years I've compared my stock K340 to two highly modded ones and mine came out on top both times and I wasn't the only one who thought so. Although it is not my go to headphone, I have no plans of selling it in the near future.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few headphones have withstood the test of time....The SR-001...I actually grew up on 'stats so to speak, only dabbling with dynamics here and there...The Omega 2 (Mk1) is also here to stay...The only real improvement I've seen lately has been in IEMs...high-end customs like the JH13...But good 'stats...are here to stay.

Same sense here - JH13Pros will stay, like the O2 Mk1s, till something outstanding moves beyond them (unlikely in my listening lifetime I suspect). Some stay for sentimentality (Sigma Normals - first ESP bought) as well as their sound (Sigma 404s, Lambda Normals, ESP950s, etc). SuperFatCat modded SR001 stays for 'electrostats on holiday' scenarios, even though the JH13s are also with me ALL the time. So it's horses for courses and available equipment synergies.
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #29 of 50
Great thread and very fun to read.

For me it is the Grado SR325i which has won my heart over the long run. I just can not find any headphones rewarding me with such listening pleasure as the SR325i. And it was love at first listen. I still remember listening to them at a meet the first time. I just knew I had to get these....

Yes - the ED8, HD800, PS-1000, RS1 I have heard on meets and all other phones I have owned over time has their great values. But the SR325i just has it all to me... The next one to meet the SR325i in battle will be the Beyer T1.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 50
still have and repair a set of HD555s. I find no reason to not own them. it's nt love per se, but if it aint broke dont fix it.... applies to what i own. I cannot see parting with them. they fall short in many ways but i am comforted by their sound. they do not suck in any area too much. it is good to have something predictable lying around. sometimes they even sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back