A little ritual I do every year this time...
Nov 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Every year, the day after my birthday (which was yesterday)

I begin a week long audio-gear fast.

I do this because I spend so much time listening to the gear for the sound quality and it often makes me forget about listening to music.  Sorta like that George Harrison lyric "The people who gain the world and lose their soul"....

I am fortunate to have such a nice collection of gear, but I would guarantee that someone using an iPod and Apple buds listening to their favorite song gets no less enjoyment than me.  And I use the week after my birthday (when I usually add audio gear to my collection), as a time to remember the music.

Just thought I'd share.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 11
...awww I was hoping it was a giveaway 
tongue.gif

Happy Birthday! That's really a very good idea. We all can get caught up in the gear aspect I suppose. I guess I'm doing that this week too although not intentionally. I have a pretty bad cold and everything sounds meh.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 11
During this week of fasting, what is the one song and one piece of gear you crave the most?

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
During this week of fasting, what is the one song and one piece of gear you crave the most?

LOL all of it...........right now the orthos I crave.

Song..........I tend not listen to classical with an iPod and buds, so I guess classical:)

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 11
Great idea! I'm in!

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 11
I've been contemplating doing something similar, except that I would still be allowed to listen to music. However, my idea is to use one of those crappy, unidentifiable cheap plastic headphones that come with portable CD players. I've got a Sony one I'm looking at right now. It would be a week-long hiatus from all my HiFi gear. I plan on taking notes during the course of the week and recording my odyssey for the general perusal and enjoyment of Head-Fi.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Happy birthday, Dave!

I like the fasting idea. I sometimes feel the same way whenever I catch myself lost in the music in the car. It has the stock Pioneer system it came with. Not worth replacing because 95% of the time NPR is on, but I feed it CDs on long drives.

Have to admit that I still enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back