A little rant about USPS' price increase..
May 18, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #31 of 59
Sovkiller, did you by any chance send it by Express Mail? If you read in the Post Office Regulations for Venezuela, it says insurance is not provided as well as merchandise (ie your laptop) aren't allowed under it. If that fits you, I'd say you got a bad clerk.

In terms of domestic insurance though, 909 is correct.

May 18, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller, did you by any chance send it by Express Mail? If you read in the Post Office Regulations for Venezuela, it says insurance is not provided as well as merchandise (ie your laptop) aren't allowed under it. If that fits you, I'd say you got a bad clerk.

In terms of domestic insurance though, 909 is correct.

I know that probably they are right, we have letters, they are not going to put in black and white one thing, if they were not true. The problem is that they offer it to us, we are two persons, so he has witness, and we never asked for it...
It is their responsibility to update the computers they use, to show the right information to the clerk...I don't know what is allowed, and what is not...Ok they can say that it is my responsiblity to find out, right? OK well if I say that the package is full of TNT, or that I'm going to mail explosives, would they accept it? Of course not, and in that case who cares if I found out or not, they know that, so why not checking if they can mail this or that instead, before charging for it...

Aslo, ok well it is not allowed, they made the mistake, return the package to me and period, there is no reason to mail a non allowed item outside the border, to find out later on that the item is not allowed, that is ridiculous sorry....

Anyway they charged us for the insurance, insurance that is not allowed, and there was where they srewed it up, and they will end in at least small claims court...

Sorry about the other topic, but the declared value is one thing, and the insurance is another. The insurance is not included in the price, and has nothing to do with the declared value, but you can purchase it, and it works, domestic or international, both...

BTW I over-read the link you provided and there is no mention of electronics or computers at all....and valuable items could be anything, even a baseball hat....

May 18, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 59
Yea, the clerk is responsible for knowing the regulations and procedures. If anything he should be reprimanded. If only you had used Priority Mail because it includes an indemnity coverage you could've claimed as well as your laptop would be allowed under it.

I would presume laptop falls under merchandise which Express doesn't allow. Regardless, insurance isn't offered for Express or Priority Mail services.

Package handlers usually don't care about what's on it but the shipping address. They just send it to where it needs to go and let Customs deal with it.

May 18, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

I would presume laptop falls under merchandise which Express doesn't allow. Regardless, insurance isn't offered for Express or Priority Mail services.

Are you talking about USPS domestic or is this exclusive to international?

Cause about a week ago I mailed a used amp (USPS domestic) Express and the clerk told me (and this isn't the first time) express includes $100 worth of insurance, but if I wanted I could buy more.

May 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Cigarettes has no redeeming value to it as it can cause lung disease and various other health problems. All these problems can thus cause the person to go to a hospital, taking up a bed someone else could've used, and another reason why so much money is wasted into health care. This in effect means cigarettes causes unnecessary costs in health care.

Oil on the other hand despite it's continual negative of emissions to the environment is valuable since it's used for various things such as transportation and many other byproducts that can be had from it. It's rising in costs because there is more demand than there is oil.

Sure it has. I wanted to jump off a building, had a cigarette, felt better, went home

Cars have no redeeming values either then. It causes people to get less exercise (read: fat), killing the world AND puts people in hospitals.

I've visited head-fi less and less lately since i'm pretty happy with what i have and am kinda broke.. But i managed to notice your posts stuck out like a sore thumb

*psst, that's not a compliment*

Back on topic.. i noticed though that with larger packages it's actually a little cheaper

May 18, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure it has. I wanted to jump off a building, had a cigarette, felt better, went home

If your life is so bad that you feel like jumping off a building, you are better off in seeing a psychologist than lighting up a cigarette. It's called getting professional help.
Quote:

Cars have no redeeming values either then. It causes people to get less exercise (read: fat), killing the world AND puts people in hospitals.

I see you blatantly forgot that it's useful as a mode of transportation for people to travel long distances and to places where it is hard to reach such as suburbs which rely solely on cars to get around. So yes, it does have redeeming value.

In regards to getting people killed, it's a reason why driving is considered a privilege and not a right. You have to be reasonably competent in order to drive. Unfortunately, many states including my own is very lax in this regard.

Quote:

I've visited head-fi less and less lately since i'm pretty happy with what i have and am kinda broke.. But i managed to notice your posts stuck out like a sore thumb *psst, that's not a compliment*

Thanks nevertheless!
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #38 of 59
Buncha drama queens in here...

As long as the USPS has fierce competition (ie. e-mail) it will continue to raise prices to make up for that lost income. I'm surprised they (the feds) haven't set up a pricing structure for e-mails yet...or try to set up flat "e-mail tax" to isp's who would in turn pass them down to us, the consumers.

.02 is not a lot of money, imho...pay your bills online whenever you can to save a few stamps a month. There's really nothing else you can do about it.

May 18, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.02 is not a lot of money, imho...pay your bills online whenever you can to save a few stamps a month. There's really nothing else you can do about it.

Yeah or fax a bit more. But this got me thinking - Why would anyone here go to that extreme because head-fi would be arguably a luxury hobby.

May 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 59
It's not just the $.02. It's the fact that they have been raising the postage stamp price on a consistent basis, as if it is a pay raise and not out of need.
1/2 dollar (I know it's only $.41) to send one thin envelope is a lot.
4 envelopes is a price of pizza. It's going up faster than cable.
Have I been know to drink a cup of $1.89 cup of coffee, which is a lot of money for coffee. Yes.
Am I willing to spend $2,000 on a black box that has glass tubes sticking out of the top that glow orange and makes funny sounds after touching a bunch of wires. Yes.
But if we rationilized evrything like that, than we wouldn't be able to afford anything.
There are certain staples in our lives, that keep things going at an expected rate. Milk, bread, and a postage stamp need to stay as reasonable as possible for life to sustain itself.

May 19, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 59
anyways back on topic...USPS is cheaper than anything out there and when it comes to international it's still cheaper and is right under par with the rest...what they are focusing on more so now, as someone mentioned is "volumetric" or "smart packaging" meaning, instead of people wasting away space and things like that, they want people to have the item fit exactly into a particular box/flat/envelope/letter etc. as that is how the price will be determined..at any rate what i'm seeing more so, is a failure of communication, on the consumer end of things there are some serious misconceptions due to lack of knowledge, you can go into your local post office and ask for more information, visit usps.com, there is plenty of information, but i see a lot of bitching if anything because they don't understand, it makes a lot more sense once you 'get it' but it's a bunch of 'chaos' right now...

example: mailing a small item and using a huge box...before the rate change it wasn't a big deal, now they charge you for that huge box, that 'extra space' that you are utilizing, by this 'volumetric' 'smart packaging' method, you should mail the small item in a box that fits it, almost exactly, thus not wasting space, thus it cost less...you can't just mail anything and put it in a huge box, because now it goes off the size, weight and so forth...so people think it costs a lot, when it really doesn't, you just need to be smarter about how you package your items

May 19, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah - It's just the rise in inflation like I said in an earlier post. Heck, I remember that gasoline used to be $2 or less during the time when stamps were 32 cents.

Gas was $2/gallon last October just before elections and the price of a stamp was $0.39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back