A little PSYCHOLOGICALLY uncomfortable with ER6i's. Help me out.
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

luciobar1980

100+ Head-Fier
So I just received them today. The clarity and detail is beyond anything I've personally ever used. Bass is there; just nice, detailed, and not overdone. I don't think you will ever FEEL bass with an IEM like you might with an over ear headphone with full size drivers.

Anyways, I'm a little scared with these things. I have them in deep, they sound good. What worries me a little is this: what prevents the eartip from coming off when I am trying to pull the unit out? I'm just a touch worried I'm gonna pry one out and leave the eartip behind. How far should these be inserted? Mine are in so that they are basically flush with the little hard cartilage part of the ear that is in the center of your ear, closest to your nose. (I just looked it up, I believe it's called the "tragus"). they certainly feel like they're in there pretty deep. I am finding them rather comfortable however, and think they will only become more comfortable when my ear adjusts. Any help with my anxieties?
blink.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 16
I remember a head-fier having to pull a flange out of his ear with tweezers...
plainface.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 16
Sounds like the same depth that I insert mine. I switched from the tri-flange to the foam tips and they feel much better. I am going to order some Shure tips in the next day or so.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 16
Heh, it's like losing your contacts in your eyes...it sounds scary but it will happen eventually and you will get around it. It's just one of those things that will happen as you use them. Most tips will stay on fine, but sometimes you might not put the tip on right or something and it will come off in your ear (the Shure clearflex PVC ones are notorious for this). If this ever happens just grab a pair of tweezers and carefully fish them out.

Once I was in NYC and this happened to me...and they got stuck in both ears too! I didn't have tweezers on me so I ended up using part of a belt buckle to get them out...once you go through that, you aren't afraid of anything anymore.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, it's like losing your contacts in your eyes...it sounds scary but it will happen eventually and you will get around it. It's just one of those things that will happen as you use them. Most tips will stay on fine, but sometimes you might not put the tip on right or something and it will come off in your ear (the Shure clearflex PVC ones are notorious for this). If this ever happens just grab a pair of tweezers and carefully fish them out.

Once I was in NYC and this happened to me...and they got stuck in both ears too! I didn't have tweezers on me so I ended up using part of a belt buckle to get them out...once you go through that, you aren't afraid of anything anymore.

as somebody who has had this happen AND wears contacts, i have to agree with this sentiment. in the ~2 years i had my 6i's, the triple-flange only came off and got stuck on one occasion- and oddly enough, BOTH came off at that time. i'll admit i panicked briefly, but luckily i always carry a small pocketknife with a pair of tweezers, and those pulled em right out; kinda tough to do it yourself, but you deal.
after that i tried the foam buds. i discovered those actually sounded better (i could get a better seal) and they were FAR more comfortable. never went back to the triple-flanges.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 16
The tips for the ER6i are pretty tight on the stem to begin with, never had issues with stuck tips. With the Shure grey flex, my pair practically disappears when I wear them over the ears, and I consider the Shure soft flex to be the most loose among the tips (complys, yellow foams, bi-, tri-flanges and soft flex) I've tried.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 16
I once pushed them in too far and now the flanges are rattling inside my skull
eggosmile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd like to repeat what has been said before and say that you should give foam tips a shot. They are quite comfortable and don't go in as deep while sounding quite good.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, it's like losing your contacts in your eyes...it sounds scary but it will happen eventually and you will get around it.

After having my family members search my eye as best they could, I had to go to the hospital for this one
blink.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by loquito316 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having my family members search my eye as best they could, I had to go to the hospital for this one
blink.gif

Yoww...that kind of stuff happens to me when I rub my eyes the wrong way or whatever, so it happens quite often and sometimes I'm actually able to pop them back in after rolling my eyes around a bit. Once when I took my contact out, it ripped and left a piece in my eye. I didn't realize this so I slept with the little piece in there...my eye felt kind of weird the next morning so I rubbed it a bit and the little piece came right out. Talk about weird
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eggosmile.gif

They wouldn't rattle if your skull wasn't empty
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eggosmile.gif

Grado has grattle.. I guess this would constitute.. Etrattle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They wouldn't rattle if your skull wasn't empty
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

HAHAHAHAHA that made my day.
etysmile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 16
heh, i think one of the main requirements for using IEM's is to have a pair of tweezers near u, maybe in a backpack or, as is the case with the um1 case that i have, the tweezers actually fit
smily_headphones1.gif

i had to steal the small ones my sister had, and when the flanges got stuck in my ear, i was lucky enough to have the tweezers at hand. i say that the fear isnt as bad when it actually happens to u, and though a part of me says for it to happen to u solely because of this hypothesis, i'll give u the benefit of the doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back