A little luv for Bruce Hornsby
Mar 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ampersand

100+ Head-Fier
Any one else here a fan? I finally got around to picking up his Greatest Radio Hits. It's a fairly good compilation AND sounds great too!!! I've seen Bruce in concert twice and wish he'd come back to the area soon. There's just something about a good rockin' song that utilizes so much piano. That's probably why i like Marc Cohn so much as well. Guitars are great, but a master behind the piano can REALLY ROCK.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Mr. Hornsby as even branched out into the field of jazz with his latest release Camp Meeting on the Legacy label. The recording is straight ahead piano trio date with Jack DeJohnette (drums) and Christian McBride (bass) joining Hornsby. In spite of the fact that Hornsby as spend most, if not all, of his musical career playing rock music, he acquits himself rather nicely and has produced a very listenable and quite enjoy jazz recording.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm a great Hornsby fan, I've seen him three times in concert. he always does a terrific show, very engaging, takes requests plays for 3+ hours.

Intersections 1985-2005 is an outstanding collection, four CD's and a DVD.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any one else here a fan? I finally got around to picking up his Greatest Radio Hits. It's a fairly good compilation AND sounds great too!!! I've seen Bruce in concert twice and wish he'd come back to the area soon. There's just something about a good rockin' song that utilizes so much piano. That's probably why i like Marc Cohn so much as well. Guitars are great, but a master behind the piano can REALLY ROCK.
biggrin.gif

Agreed!

I heard Bruce played piano on Marc's Walking in memphis song. Not sure about any other tracks/albums though.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 15
I've seen him a couple of times as well. Amazing musician and showman. What's even more amazing is that he didn't even start playing piano till he was 17 yrs. old.

I like the request thing too, even though it is total showbiz schtick. When I saw him, he had everybody write down their requests. That way he could look at them, and play the stuff he was going to play anyway...

Still great shows though.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a great Hornsby fan, I've seen him three times in concert. he always does a terrific show, very engaging, takes requests plays for 3+ hours.

Intersections 1985-2005 is an outstanding collection, four CD's and a DVD.

I'll have to give this compilation a try.

BTW, I forgot how much I loved The Valley Road. What a great song! And a message to boot!

mike

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I loved "The way it is" and didn't even know about him playing on "Walking in Memphis" wich I allso like.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Yeah have most of his CD's and you gotta luv those free downloads he had over Christmas time...

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Found him when listening to "China Doll" from "Harbor Lights" by a chance and just loved the drum sound. Branched out from there and I'm now a fan, and mind you, this was as late as a couple of months ago. 

It sure is fun discovering great musicians.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back