A Little Love for the Rio Carbon
Jun 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

barnaby1

New Head-Fier
*Begin Rant*
Hello; after trying numerous DAPs over the past few years, I thought I would share some of my experiences. I came to the DAP arena via the MiniDisc and immediately became sold on the convenience benefits. I started with an iRiver iFP (Flash-based) player and quickly craved more storage and went with the iRiver iHP-100. Excellent sound quality, all the inputs and outputs you could want, but the thing was built like a brick. I desired something smaller and more sleek. I then went the iPod route. I can easily see why people always say the iPod is the easiest to use - because it really was. But I was displeased with the horrible battery life and - in all honesty - the sound quality. This was shortly before the iPod minis made it to market, so when they came out, I had to try one of them. At the time, the size of the mini was simply amazing, but it was still plagued with the same problems as its older, bigger brother (sound quality and battery life).

Enter the Rio Carbon. I had one of the original ones (yes, with the headphone static problem and all...) and found the form factor to be pretty close to ideal. Sleek enough to put in a pocket with tactile buttons that allowed navigation through a playlist without having to look at the device, very good sound quality, custom EQ, excellent battery life, audible support, etc. etc. I had the Carbon for over a year before the new wave of players with color screens and 'subscription audio' support arrived. I did fall for some of the 'niceties' of these new machines and went with the iRiver H10. I hated that machine. Who knew that the very thing that tempted me about the H10 would be the thing I would come to hate the most - the screen. I didn't realize I how much I would miss being able to look at a device and instantly see what song was playing! With the new color screens, you have to first turn the screen on (by pressing a button) before it will come to life. This becomes a huge nuisance when you wish to navigate the device...you have to first press a button to 'activate' it and THEN you can move forward or backward. HUGE nuisance.

I recently tried both the Sandisk e270 and the iRiver Clix. Both of these players have tactile navigation, but they are incredibly difficult to operate, particularly if you have the player in your pocket. In fact, I defy anyone to operate the Clix while it is in a pocket - you reach in and *oops* didn't mean to push that button! It is WAY to easy to press one of the sides inadvertently. The e270 suffers from the opposite problem - the navigation keys are practically non-existant. Yeah, the 'coolness' of the video playback is tempting, but what it comes down to is this - the Rio Carbon has been the best DAP I have owned over the years. Tactile navigation, Janus, 20+hr battery life, easy charging, good sound quality, sufficient storage, etc. make this machine a winner. I just wanted to show it some love in this forum...
*END RANT*

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby1
I recently tried both the Sandisk e270 and the iRiver Clix. Both of these players have tactile navigation, but they are incredibly difficult to operate, particularly if you have the player in your pocket. In fact, I defy anyone to operate the Clix while it is in a pocket - you reach in and *oops* didn't mean to push that button! It is WAY to easy to press one of the sides inadvertently. The e270 suffers from the opposite problem - the navigation keys are practically non-existant. Yeah, the 'coolness' of the video playback is tempting, but what it comes down to is this - the Rio Carbon has been the best DAP I have owned over the years. Tactile navigation, Janus, 20+hr battery life, easy charging, good sound quality, sufficient storage, etc. make this machine a winner. I just wanted to show it some love in this forum...
*END RANT*

They don't have hold buttons?

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 21
the ipods screens dont have the problem you mentioned. i knew one person with a carbon. the wheel snapped (apparently a very common problem) and i attemped to fix it with the very elaborate guides online but i wasn't able to get it right.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 21
I find a lot of MP3 players are very poor with regards to tactile buttons. One of things I liked about the Shuffle. Great buttons. Almost bought a Carbon only for the problems I read about them breaking. Went for a Zen Micro and never really got on with the touch buttons on that.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 21
"Sleek enough to put in a pocket with tactile buttons that allowed navigation through a playlist without having to look at the device, very good sound quality, custom EQ, excellent battery life, audible support, etc. etc."

Yeah -- I've been very happy with mine. Photos certainly don't do it justice -- it really is quite slim ... the full frontal photos online make it look bulbous. I've logged a lot of airplane miles with it playing in a shirt or jacket pocket. I haven't needed a color screen or games, because it's usually tucked away when playing and I'm not selecting a genre, artist or year to play. I was surprised by how much I liked the Rio DJ. The sound is quite good. And the only lock-up occurred when I first connected it to my computer and I didn't disconnect it properly. No problems with the wheel, but then I don't operate it like it's a GameBoy ... and I haven't dropped it, which I hear is not a good thing with the Carbon.

At the time of its release, I found it superior to the iPod Mini (I did like the textured surface of the Mini, though -- very practical). But Rio didn't advertise, and there seemed to be no plan for moving on and continuing to compete in the marketplace. Oh, well ... my Carbon and Karma are hanging in there.

By the way -- the Wherehouse chain of CD/DVD stores still carries the 2.5GB capacity Carbon, the CE2100 (it was an odd capacity when it came out, and even more so now), in black or green, for $79 after rebate. Just some info for those going through Rio withdrawal or looking for a bit of retro DAP action (LOL that 2004 is already "retro," but the marketplace is changing rapidly, that's for sure).

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 21
I bought my Carbon around Christmas 2004 because it was small, lightweight, had great performance and most of all had long battery life. I used it for about a year when the wheel unfortunately broke. I considered getting another, but was wooed by the new iPod instead. It seemed to have caught up to the Carbon - battery life had improved, it was thinner and now had video. I like my 5G, but I do miss the sleek appearance and great performance of the Carbon. I especially miss the Carbon's tiny body that was so easy to slip into a pocket or hold in my hand - the iPod seems like a hulking mass next to it. It really is a shame that Rio decided to throw in the towel, their great players will be sorely missed.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jar1087
I especially miss the Carbon's tiny body that was so easy to slip into a pocket or hold in my hand - the iPod seems like a hulking mass next to it.

did you check out the ipod nano?

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 21
I find myself going back to my Rio karma over the iaudio for the same reasons. It was just well thought out and intuitively designed in the features it did own. Just put in a new hard drive and discovered further how shoddily crafted it was much like the carbon- wheel falls off very easily (can be glued back in place, should've been done so at the factory) and lock switch usually breaks when you open the case (no force necessary). a rugged carbon using solid state would have been the best complement to this egg shell of a player, but it is unfortunate to hear that it is no more durable.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 21
I too still love my rio carbon...it's excellent. battery life is (still) great, i can go for about a week or more, listening to it every day for approximately 2 hours (on the bus and sometimes in class) ..

Plus they have a new "developers cut" that makes on the go playlisting available...and some other neat features. You can get it at riovolution.com.

Still got love for the Rio Carbon...and I won't get something new until it dies
smily_headphones1.gif
. I would get a new Carbon if they hadn't gone out of buisness...:p

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 21
I've been using my Carbon for everyday for months. I'd been taking my Karma to the gym, but it would skip or freeze and it got old after a while.
The Carbon has rarely (never) skipped and has never frozen. Very good sonics using Shure E3Cs (portapros at home) plus good battery life and I'm hoping it lasts a good while longer.
My only wish is that it had a bigger font for when I take my glasses off at the gym.
Lean form factor makes it ideal for sliding in and out of the pocket.
Buy one!

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 21
I gave a Rio Carbon Pearl to my sister last summer and she's still loving it as she did on day 1. No crashes/scratches/battery issues and sounds great.

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 21
I have had the carbon for a few months now, and I really like it with the senn px100's , but I have problems transfering songs to the carbon from the computer, It locks up a lot. I have to delete a couple of songs first , After doing that I can transfer about 3 albums before it locks up again.

Reading from the carbon is no problem. I even bought a special self powered usb hub , but that didn't solve the problem.

Anyone who has suggestions?

Greetings Robert

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 21
I love my Rio Carbon 5GB. I bought a factory refurbished one last October. It has served me very well. I own various players (Nano, Muvo2, Iaudio 5, Shuffle, Sansa E130, and IHP-120. Recently, I have been using the Carbon, the Iaudio, and the Sansa the most and mostly for listening to audio books and Audible.com books. As previously mentioned. the tactile buttons on these players make them easy to use in the pocket and in the dark.

I especially like the Carbon because of the slim size, tactile buttons, bright screen, long battery life, and drag and drop design. It is easy to charge. I use a portable battery extender with USB port to charge it and other players. The Carbon is easy to load and to choose tracks. The newest firmware provides for folder and tag navigation. When this one bites the dust, I would look for another one (new or refurbished).

The Nano is a great player but it takes undivided attention to operate it. You cannot operate it blind.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back