A Little Love for the Rio Carbon
Jun 21, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
....anything less than 60GB makes me nervous.
tongue.gif

What
confused.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 21
Well, I like lossless and am very indecisive. So I need a fair bit of space. If I was limited to 2GB, I would be pulling out my hair every morning trying to figure out what to bring with me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 21
I don't think the carbon is flash though. It is a microdrive (hitachi hdd? nitrus was cornice).

robert, I had the problem you described with my karma. It would operate and play fine with no lockups but when transferring it would always lock up and click at certain points in the drive. I have to pull it out and reset it and it would do it again 15 out of 16 times. Once it does work it will continue to transfer without error until it reaches another bad point in the hdd. The only solution I found was to replace the hdd and I don't know how easy it is for the carbon or availability. With a relatively small capacity hdd you might want to unload and load tracks pretty often so it is not a bad idea to invest in a new harddrive, even if it is the same model.

Jun 22, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 21
I'll give my Carbon a little kiss to show it how much I love it. I've had it for a year now, and it's been a great little player. Nothing on it has broken (I treat the wheel very gently), and although there's a lot of dust behind the screen and the back is beginning to resemble brushed aluminum (which I think would have been a much better choice than the iPod-lookalike chrome), it's held up well and still looks great, despite living a caseless life in my pocket.

That said, I think I still love my old Nitrus more. Sure, it has an itty bitty drive, and it's not drag and drop, and the battery has a habit of spontaneously discharging itself, but overall I think it still has far better controls (with the exception of the chintzy volume buttons, although they are impossible to set off accidentally) and just looks much cooler.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 21
I loved my Carbon dearly. I had it for one who week. Then it went through the clothes washer. And dryer. It still worked (except for the wheel) but to all you audiofiles with your amps and the like, who needs a wheel? Then the developer's cut firmware came out, and I was all the more in love. Then, it died. I think either A. the water from the dishwasher corroded the parts, or B. I nicked the battery when I tried to open it (those are tough buggers to open) and it corroded the innerds. Either way, it was gone. So now I have the charger (which could be used to plug in a USB cable and charge something (like an iPod) on the other end, and a Seagate 5GB microdrive. I don't know if it still works, I need to test it. It was a short relationship, bittersweet. I shall miss it. Somewhat. I have about 13 GBs of music now, so a 5GB microdrive ain't doing much. I picked up an X5 and never looked back. It's a lovely piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back