A little help please?
Jul 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kclives

New Head-Fier
As you can see by my post count, I'm new here, and new to the whole thing of spending a fair bit of cash on a pair of headphones
icon10.gif

I had some Sennheiser HD205's and they were pretty good for the price I paid, but the jack decided to split inside my iPod, which I luckily managed to remove, and now need a new pair of headphones.

My budget is ~£40 (~65/70$), meager I know, but it's what I can afford.

I've been doing some browsing on Amazon and so far have found the following, which are under my budget and look half-decent:
-Creative Aurvana DJ
-AKG K514
-KAM KHP 1500 DJ
-Sennheiser HD205

Could anyone/someone tell me if these are actually any good, or better still recomend me a pair I haven't listed.

My primary use will be with an iPod/Laptop/Stereo mostly on my own in a quiet room, but sometimes in noisy environments. So electronic noise-reduction isn't a must. I'm looking primarily for over-the-ear cans.

Thanks
beyersmile.png

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 10
I know you're new, but can you describe what type of sound signature you like? Check this thread to see what words to use. IMO it really helps determine what suggestions we can give you.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR60i

These are like £80/90 (~140/50$), like double my budget
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're new, but can you describe what type of sound signature you like? Check this thread to see what words to use. IMO it really helps determine what suggestions we can give you.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, from highly classical music to deep bassy electronica to distorted heavy metal. I really just want a pair that is good for all round listening, I don't really want to target one musical sound.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
iGrado? seems to go for £35 and has the same drivers as the sr60, just in a plastic enclosure. Those are pretty nice headphones and give a look into the famous Grado sound though they are a bit darker than the ones I've got here (325i/rs1i). Supposedly the pad-mod improves this but I didn't dare try this, my girlfriend uses these.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Could fixing your HD205s be a possible solution?

I pretty sure you could find somewhere that would re-attach the mini jack for a couple of quid (you can buy a new jack for a few pounds if it's broken).

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Just noticed a typo in my previous post, was meant to be "aren't the style...".

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you recommend Grados? He obviously lives outside the US, Grados are ludicrously expensive outside of the US. I'd recommend:

Koss KSC75, Koss Portapro, Senn PX100, Yuin G2A, JVC HA-RX700, dbi Pro700

Thanks for the reply, I just purchased the KAM's I was looking at, they seemed good for the price and I found some good reviews about them. They should arrive in a few days, I'll see how they are.

I wish I'd seen this post beforehand though as I'd have looked into the DBI's, although a quick Google yielded little or no results for purchasing in the UK. I also wish I could afford the Grado's, how much do the S60i's retail for on avergae in the US?

On another note, is it me or do the PortaPro's look absolutely awful?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could fixing your HD205s be a possible solution?

I pretty sure you could find somewhere that would re-attach the mini jack for a couple of quid (you can buy a new jack for a few pounds if it's broken).

Frankly I could chop of the jack and solder myself on a new one, but I'm using them breaking as an excuse to buy myself a new pair :p. My Sennheisers are over a year old and are pretty battered tbh.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kclives /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iGrado's are the style I'm looking for, over-ear cans.

I just noticed the Behringer HPX2000, any pros/cons?

I wouldn't recommend the Behringers. I've got HPS3000s which, in all fairness, suck big time. Bass is weak; muddy mids. Overall very congested sound. And build quality is very poor: mostly plastic, which look and feel rather cheap. The cable is single-sided, but there's a hole in the right earcup where a cable would go if it were a Y-cable.
eek.gif

I've got the HD205s and they beat my Behringers hands down, in both sound and build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back