A little help needed from any Hong Kong HeadFi-er
Jan 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm not from or in or have ever been to Hong Kong. I just saw zero replies and figured I'd have a crack.

This place has a couple of suitable models it seems?
Tin Cheung Camera Co.

Who knows if that is a good HK price. But here is a link where they discuss places to buy cameras - where you might find better rates or service. You might be able to find better opinions with a better websearch.
70-200 purchase in Hong Kong?? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Cheers, enjoy the trip
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to Hong Kong in mid February and want to get the Canon 70-200 F/4 lens, so can someone find out for me how much in HK $ it cost over there? I am trying to figure out if its worth it than getting it in England. Thanks a million in advance.

well, i'm from HK but i don't know nothing about camera. i'll try to see if anyone i know know about this. also, i suggest you go to some big, bigger shop. it's better for foreigners to shop there. one suggestion, if you stay on the Island side. go to Causeway Time Square 7th or 8th floor. you'll see all the big shop that sell electric stuff, including some audio stuff there.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Hong Kong rocks for electronic gear, but it has been much too long since I have been there. Good deals on pearls too.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 8
I just looked around on Nathan Road and I don't like what I saw: none of the stores had price tags on their wares. The stores in Tsimshatsui district (Kowloon downtown) have a vile reputation: although there are many shops, all are reputedly owned by just a few people, and they collaborate to make sure tourists break their banks for junks they don't ask for. I'm writing this because I've just read another case of a Chinese tourist being scammed.

If you're looking for common-brand electronic products, large chain stores are reputable; but your lens might be a bit upmarket. If I were you I'll buy it in the UK and have some peace of mind.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
No no no don't go to Tsim Sha Tsui for electronics! They are famous for ripping off foreigners! Mong Kok, Shum Shui Po, etc are far better places to go "bargain" hunting. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Hong Kong, otherwise I may have been able to help you get one! I have to say your lens is quite expensive, but I reckon Fortress or Broadway, etc will carry it.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 8
I'd find the best price on Ebay and have the stuff you need shipped to HK. No import tax whatsoever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back