A little advice for a audio rookie?
Mar 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AFAI

New Head-Fier
I've finally decided to invest a little more in music and buy a quality pair of headphones. I've always used the $15-20 earbuds at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, but I'm trying to decide on a pair for about $150-200 to upgrade. But I have a question I thought maybe you guys could help me with. I really don't want to buy an amp, so would there be a significant difference in sound quality if I just use the headphones without one? They'll be used primarily for listening to music on my laptop with an Audigy notebook sound card.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 11
for that budget id recommend the Goldring DR150 for around 150. easy to drive so dont require an amp.

what kinda music do u listen to?
do u need closed or open cans?
portability?

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Sorry i failed to mention before, I listen to all genres from classical, metal, r&b, so I'm pretty much in the market for a good all-around pair, and bass isn't really a factor. Open I think, I listen in my office away from the bedrooms, so others can't hear, but doesn't open cans have more clarity? And they'll be used at home only, so portability isn't a problem as much as comfort is.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, so far I've seen nothing but good reviews from everyone that has the 595's, my brother has a pair of SA5000's and loves them, but I've never tried sony headphones before, neither low or high-end, but I saw on the sonystyle website the SA3000's on amazon for about how much I can afford, and i gotta say, imo aesthetically they look awesome, but can they match up to the Sennheiser's? I've read a hundred posts about the 595's, almost all good, but only a couple of posts for the 3000's. I'm not sure if that means that the 595's are that good or if the 3000's have a lack of interest. So when it's all said and done for an all-around pair should I just stay with the crowd and get the 595's since it seems almost everyone else is satisfied with them?

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 11
I'll toss in a vote for the Alessandro MS-1, only because I think they sound really nice with just about anything I play through them, and more importantly, no matter what is driving them. Clean and clear sound with a decent soundstage and great midrange. My Sennheiser HD580 sound much better with certain types of music (acoustic, classical) but only when properly amplified. MS-1, on the other hand, seem just as happy being driven from an iPod or a computer soundcard as they do amped. In fact, I've had some of my best listening experiences recently with high-resolution vinyl rips played out of Audacity into a Echo Digital IO soundcard, and the MS-1.

Plus, at $99 new and slightly less than that used, the price is under your budget.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Without amplifier, Bose on-ear headphone is easy to drive by a computer if you adjust the sound a bit higher than earbuds. And, it is comfortable to wear with small body and light weight (143g).

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks everyone, I'll be making a trip to Guitar Center and a few other stores in the city this weekend, hopefully they'll have these models to check out.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the 595's if you want a good all rounder. they are a great pair of headphones. usually i recommend the 580's but since you are going for a pair of all rounders...get the 595's. you will love them.

x2...

great without an amp...
even better with an amp...
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Grado SR-225? It'd be a good match for your musical tastes.

x2
The SR-225's are a fine set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back