A little about the Shozy Alien
May 25, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,937 of 3,124
Absolutely.
Certain combinations just now you away.
Dx90-portatubr-um mentors is another combination I found amazing.
Dx90-portatube-my (Jensi's) sr80i mods. Amazing.
Alien and momentum in ears sounds better than the $$ but not amazing.
N6 with ref1too is the best I have heard period.
Alien with ref1too on some albums is just breathtaking but boring on other albums.

I have a plan to pair 1Plus2 with DX90, for that reason I threw A83 back with Alien.

It all come rushing back why I used this pairing originally.

I do not enjoy the sound of HD25 or Amperior with Alien, along with a lot of other gear here. (as much)

its a mere A83 / Alien party all day long.

May 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,939 of 3,124

I have a plan to pair 1Plus2 with DX90, for that reason I threw A83 back with Alien.

It all come rushing back why I used this pairing originally.

I do not enjoy the sound of HD25 or Amperior with Alien, along with a lot of other gear here. (as much)

its a mere A83 / Alien party all day long.

Nice.
Let us know how the 1p2 goes with the DX90.
I would imagine you might come across some awkward highs with the level of resolution in both.
But it could be a magic mix!
HOPEFULLY!

I am currently listening to the Ref1 with the Plenue p1.
Too soon to give impressions.  GUI is great, more features than you can poke a stick at but I think it relies too heavily on EQ.
Sounds quite dull and boring without it, sounds great with it, but EQ for me is a curse.

May 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,940 of 3,124

Nice.
Let us know how the 1p2 goes with the DX90.
I would imagine you might come across some awkward highs with the level of resolution in both.
But it could be a magic mix!
HOPEFULLY!

I am currently listening to the Ref1 with the Plenue p1.
Too soon to give impressions.  GUI is great, more features than you can poke a stick at but I think it relies too heavily on EQ.
Sounds quite dull and boring without it, sounds great with it, but EQ for me is a curse.

I'd be interested how you think Alien compares to a 'flagship' from Cowon.

Is the Plenue noticeably better? (without its dramatic EQ / BBE) 

May 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,941 of 3,124

I'd be interested how you think Alien compares to a 'flagship' from Cowon.

Is the Plenue noticeably better? (without its dramatic EQ / BBE) 

Its a little early to pass judgement on the Cowon.  However as it stands, the Alien certainly keeps the Cowon close.
I was initially underwhelmed by the P1's sound, particularly with no EQ.  After EQ I had a few wow moments but soon tired of the sound.

This was however on the ollllldddd firmware.
I have since updated to the latest FW and I do not know if it is wishful thinking or some other temporary voodoo, but it really seems to have stepped the SQ up a big margin.  And this is pre-EQ.  I really dont like EQ, I am not against it and I guess I am glad I have the option of a well implemented EQ, which I might use to bump the odd Freq up or down for some headphones.  But I dont think I will ever use the reverb or surround type crap.  Just makes the music sound un-natural,  BUT the simple EQ does seem to work well.

I did use the BBS or what ever it is lol, BBE I dunno, on the Dark Knight and INception soundtracks and I must say the increased sense of space and bass etc did have a pleasing effect, but then going to something like tool or Dream Theater or even JOhn Mayer sounded un-natural to me.  So yeah its handy to have but I am more of a set and forget kind of person so I dont think it will get used often.

I will need more time with it to ensure I am really hearing what I am hearing and also to let the device settle in.

That being said, my Alien cost me $130, my P1 cost me over 10x that.  Diminishing returns is biting particularly hard on this one.

May 26, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,942 of 3,124

Its a little early to pass judgement on the Cowon.  However as it stands, the Alien certainly keeps the Cowon close.
I was initially underwhelmed by the P1's sound, particularly with no EQ.  After EQ I had a few wow moments but soon tired of the sound.

This was however on the ollllldddd firmware.
I have since updated to the latest FW and I do not know if it is wishful thinking or some other temporary voodoo, but it really seems to have stepped the SQ up a big margin.  And this is pre-EQ.  I really dont like EQ, I am not against it and I guess I am glad I have the option of a well implemented EQ, which I might use to bump the odd Freq up or down for some headphones.  But I dont think I will ever use the reverb or surround type crap.  Just makes the music sound un-natural,  BUT the simple EQ does seem to work well.

I did use the BBS or what ever it is lol, BBE I dunno, on the Dark Knight and INception soundtracks and I must say the increased sense of space and bass etc did have a pleasing effect, but then going to something like tool or Dream Theater or even JOhn Mayer sounded un-natural to me.  So yeah its handy to have but I am more of a set and forget kind of person so I dont think it will get used often.

I will need more time with it to ensure I am really hearing what I am hearing and also to let the device settle in.

That being said, my Alien cost me $130, my P1 cost me over 10x that.  Diminishing returns is biting particularly hard on this one.

That's it really isn't it, all about value for money end of the day. 

Not a super fan of EQ anymore, alters the sound between albums, tracks etc.

Sounds like Plenue is still very Cowonish for the tinkers and sound adjustment fans. 

May 26, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #1,943 of 3,124

That's it really isn't it, all about value for money end of the day. 

Not a super fan of EQ anymore, alters the sound between albums, tracks etc.

Sounds like Plenue is still very Cowonish for the tinkers and sound adjustment fans. 

I would say that is accurate.
For such an expensive player it is nice to have EQ, but I dont really want the sound to rely on it.

It sounds ok without as I said, but its just... Dull.

May 26, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,947 of 3,124
I am looking for one alien in bst. At thd moment with no luck... But i am patient.

Getting the better of you hey? Ha.

That's the problem with Head-fi, read enough opinions on any product good/bad etc it simply becomes confusing. The only real way is hands on, find out for yourself.

Many a dollar been spent that way here.

May 26, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,949 of 3,124
Getting the better of you hey? Ha.

That's the problem with Head-fi, read enough opinions on any product good/bad etc it simply becomes confusing. The only real way is hands on, find out for yourself.

Many a dollar been spent that way here.

Correct, so confused that even considering other daps.. what i want is SQ (i am not audiophile ) but can only go for used .... Even considering new DAPS that have good reviews.. but as you said... your ear and feeling for how you perceive the music will make you choose the right one for you... and every ear is different!!

Thanks

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,950 of 3,124
Guys I just wrote my review of the Hippo Biscuit+, thought i'd link u here as I do mention the Shozy at times during the review. Anyway... cheers.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hippo-biscuit/reviews/13280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back