A little about the Shozy Alien
May 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,816 of 3,124
I've noticed a few times I haven't used my Alien for a about a week and when I go to use it the battery is dead. Not sure if its gotten accidently turned on or if it just loses charge on its own.

Anyone else experience this?

May 4, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #1,817 of 3,124
Can't say that I have, but then mine gets used frequently. What i have noticed is I think I turned it off, but I didn't, that happens a fair bit.
I'll be able to report back sooner because the Hippo Biscuit is being trialled quite a bit at the moment, so the Shozy will be seeing some drawer time :O

And about the Hippo Biscuit, I have managed to get wav files to behave themselves on the Biscuit, so long as they are converted using the winamp file convertor, and not foobars.
I don't know why it works but there are a lot of pulldown menus in the winamp convertor, perhaps foobar too has some advanced options that might do the trick, but it looks as tho default winamp options differ slightly to default foobar and the end result (for the biscuit) means no nasty loud prolonged static between tracks :)

May 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,818 of 3,124
I have another slightly off topic question, I'm kinda just posting here because there seems to be quite a good healthy (and similar like mindedness) answers :)

I'm looking for another portable amp, this time something to pair with the Hippo Biscuit rather than the Alien Shozy.
The Soundmagic A10 is a very good match for the Shozy, whereas with the Hippo it's created too large a 'V shaped' sound (so yeh I would argue the Hippo is a notch up on that V shape signature the Shozy appears to have).
With this in mind I was thinking an amp that is more neutral or flat might be better suited for the Biscuit... so the criteria might be;

1) sub 100g in weight, smaller the better
2) Flatter frequency response
3) Bass/Treble adjustments might be a welcome addition
4) Budget anywhere under $150

Basically in summary the Hippo is fast becoming a replacement for the Alien Shozy, simply due to size and weight. It is far better suited to Gym life, and then if I can keep using it for work but slightly improve things (especially volume to which it is not as loud as the Shozy) whilst not overly 'muddying' the sound that would be ideal.
I'm even thinking the little Fiio E06 might be enough...

Again apologies for talking slightly off topic (it's just I see the Hippo Biscuit as a poor mans shozy lol)

May 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,819 of 3,124
  I have another slightly off topic question, I'm kinda just posting here because there seems to be quite a good healthy (and similar like mindedness) answers :)

I'm looking for another portable amp, this time something to pair with the Hippo Biscuit rather than the Alien Shozy.
The Soundmagic A10 is a very good match for the Shozy, whereas with the Hippo it's created too large a 'V shaped' sound (so yeh I would argue the Hippo is a notch up on that V shape signature the Shozy appears to have).
With this in mind I was thinking an amp that is more neutral or flat might be better suited for the Biscuit... so the criteria might be;

1) sub 100g in weight, smaller the better
2) Flatter frequency response
3) Bass/Treble adjustments might be a welcome addition
4) Budget anywhere under $150

Basically in summary the Hippo is fast becoming a replacement for the Alien Shozy, simply due to size and weight. It is far better suited to Gym life, and then if I can keep using it for work but slightly improve things (especially volume to which it is not as loud as the Shozy) whilst not overly 'muddying' the sound that would be ideal.
I'm even thinking the little Fiio E06 might be enough...

Again apologies for talking slightly off topic (it's just I see the Hippo Biscuit as a poor mans shozy lol)

Best thing I can think of that checks the boxes is the JDS C5.
Its JUST heavier at about 120g
Its very neutral
has bass and gain boost
Its over your budget by a margin, but 2nd hand on the forum, well within range.
New they are around $270, but much less 2nd hand.

I have owned the c5d and found it to sound fantastic and very flat.  Not warm like many Fiio amps in this price/size range.
In fact the only fiio amp I liked was the e12diy, but it doesnt fit what you are after.

May 5, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,820 of 3,124
I've noticed a few times I haven't used my Alien for a about a week and when I go to use it the battery is dead. Not sure if its gotten accidently turned on or if it just loses charge on its own.

Anyone else experience this?
i have this issue as well. Thinking of going back to ask them to check it for me.

May 5, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,821 of 3,124
i have this issue as well. Thinking of going back to ask them to check it for me.

I think this is a fairly common issue with lots of electronic devices. These days I'm stunned if something still does have battery life 2-3 weeks after use. Mobile phones wouldn't, I have other DAPs that discharge like this also. As long as it charges back up that's all that matters.

May 5, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,822 of 3,124
I think this is a fairly common issue with lots of electronic devices. These days I'm stunned if something still does have battery life 2-3 weeks after use. Mobile phones wouldn't, I have other DAPs that discharge like this also. As long as it charges back up that's all that matters.

Rsa and shozy amps have rather fantastic battery life

May 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,824 of 3,124
Amps tend to, they have like 30+hr battery life. Even my Cowon C2 rated at 50hr battery life might still switch on a few months later. But when the battery life of a device is aimed at providing 8hrs, don't be surprised if its discharged in 1 week.

Well screenless like most amps and just not that smaller and that much lesser capacity for battery

May 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,825 of 3,124
From Shozy's fb page in my feed this morning;

"Our apologies for the delayed Alien Gold Ver. production, there are currently something we want to improve and is not yet sorted, therefore we are trying to arrange something special with our distributors. Details will be announced shortly and big apologies again for the long wait and any inconvenience caused! Our decision will not let you down :wink: "

May 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,828 of 3,124
the ONLY thing I would want different on the alien is the ability to have 1 extra level of folders and be able to skip but folder then by subfolder.

EG.
Long press track skip skips sub folder, long press volume down skips down folder.

root/artist/album

Other than that I wouldnt touch a thing.

May 9, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,829 of 3,124
I'm afraid I'm going to get unfaithful....been tempted for a while to go back to a classic DAP since 80% of my music are not wav neither flac...the ak120 is flirting dangerously with me...not sure if I'll sell the alien or not...

May 9, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #1,830 of 3,124
I'm afraid I'm going to get unfaithful....been tempted for a while to go back to a classic DAP since 80% of my music are not wav neither flac...the ak120 is flirting dangerously with me...not sure if I'll sell the alien or not...

you will regret if you do 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back