A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #1,413 of 3,124
Bass hasn't definitely improved, your ears have simply adjusted to new parameters.

Read what I typed again and then post your opinion :p

Besides, I don't really side with either camp when it comes to burn-in. As long as it sounds good, I'm happy!

For sure it is better not with that awful ortho! (no it actually looks super sweet : (  )
when you are here gonna drag you to some new fun place :wink:  (trying not to make this sound filthy) (yeah earphone fun)

Haha it actually sounded better than I expected out of the Alien! I wasn't expecting a mere 55mA to help it along the way so much!

I'll be free during Easter c:

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,414 of 3,124

I would say your ears adapted. Put it this way, I far more believe that ear/hearing adaptation is more responsible (% wise) than an actual burn in for change in sound (whether that be bass or what not). If burn in exists (scientifically link me to technical non hearing proof) I would still argue that it is minimal, and that the real perceived burn in is like 90% ear adaptation 10% equipment.

When i initially got my Alien I was used to silly amounts of BBE/Bass, upon first hearing the Alien I was like 'ok... this is not as much Bass that I'm used to but its certainly not lacking, it feels kinda V shaped signature so I'm happy'. Forward on a few weeks later and I am finding the Bass plentiful and spot on, now I am sighing at my previous use of Eq/DSP settings which emphasised too much Bass. I am wondering how I ever found that acceptable in the first place. Point is my ears have changed, I now find the Shozy Bass plentiful whereas before I noticed it lacking. No Burn in, just me.

Don't be surprised if soon (or already) you can never use Jet Effects enhancements again after adjusting to flat setting. (especially one as engaging as Aliens sig) This was the case for me when I first threw away the Cowon evilness years ago. BBE sounds like over processed cheeseburgers now.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,415 of 3,124
Is there such a thing as battery break in? I'm being told the first several charges will take long and last shorter but after that it should be ok. Could another explanation be that its deathly cold here?

Sorry I'm the battery man. I wish I could talk about funner things like  sound quality (and burn in 
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,416 of 3,124
  Is there such a thing as battery break in? I'm being told the first several charges will take long and last shorter but after that it should be ok. Could another explanation be that its deathly cold here?

Sorry I'm the battery man. I wish I could talk about funner things like  sound quality (and burn in 
biggrin.gif
).

You're that guy who stumbles into the party, trips straight onto the table and spills all the beers. 
tongue.gif

Honestly, time for a return if you'd narrowed down the charger. (mine charged ok from day one)

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,417 of 3,124

Bass hasn't definitely improved, your ears have simply adjusted to new parameters. I doubt any Bass on any source or headphones can dramatically improve with a few hours of play. I have been collecting DAPs and IEMs for years and have paid close attention to placebo, on everything what you hear first is the same 100hrs in, it's YOU that changes, not the gear.

Hi Bruce, not to stir the pot too much, but I've heard several examples of actual equipment burn in over the years. The easiest way to experience it is to listen to something you've had for a couple of months and then listen to another sample fresh out of the box. Generally the effects are similar, the one that's been used for a while will sound more extended, smoother and warmer (in a good way). I've heard the effect in speakers, preamps, guitar amps etc. I'm not sure why people even debate this, It can be fairly obvious on some equipment although I won't say it happens on 100% of equipment.

Ironically the brain burn in that everybody talks about is probably the exact reason why blind A/B testing doesn't really work very well. If you listen to really good DAC for a couple of weeks and then substitute a crappy one you would definitely notice the difference, but quickly flipping back and forth between them they may sound nearly identical. 

Having said that, quite often,a well mastered 320 kb mp3 file can sound just as good as a higher rez file, especially in a mobile situation

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,418 of 3,124

Don't be surprised if soon (or already) you can never use Jet Effects enhancements again after adjusting to flat setting. (especially one as engaging as Aliens sig) This was the case for me when I first threw away the Cowon evilness years ago. BBE tastes like over processed cheeseburgers now.

FTFY

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,419 of 3,124
    Hi Bruce, not to stir the pot too much, but I've heard several examples of actual equipment burn in over the years. The easiest way to experience it is to listen to something you've had for a couple of months and then listen to another sample fresh out of the box. Generally the effects are similar, the one that's been used for a while will sound more extended, smoother and warmer (in a good way). I've heard the effect in speakers, preamps, guitar amps etc. I'm not sure why people even debate this, It can be fairly obvious on some equipment although I won't say it happens on 100% of equipment.

Ironically the brain burn in that everybody talks about is probably the exact reason why blind A/B testing doesn't really work very well. If you listen to really good DAC for a couple of weeks and then substitute a crappy one you would definitely notice the difference, but quickly flipping back and forth between them they may sound nearly identical. 

Having said that, quite often,a well mastered 320 kb mp3 file can sound just as good as a higher rez file, especially in a mobile situation

I agree with out, on the needing to listen to a device for the sound to really set in and then compare and also, I have heard the change in sound, when comparing back to a control dap or amp, that is well burned in and the sound is stable. I heard the Alien and it sounded good but the bass needed more definition, and I didn't even need to compare to something to hear this. Then after 30 hours or so of time and now much more, the bass tightened up and is much improved. This both to my ears and also when comparing to a control dap that I use. Extension is another area I hear improvements in. And I also agree, that for whatever reason, not all equipment goes through this change very much. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,420 of 3,124
Continuing to be impressed by this little fellow; I feel asleep with it in my hoodie pocket and woke up 1.5hrs later, or so, and the Alien had gotten fairly warm. So I'm wondering what kind of amp this thing is driving with. Whatever the amp is it sounds amazing...I have been listening to my tunes at a louder level because the control, stability and balance is quite natural and addicting!

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,421 of 3,124
  Continuing to be impressed by this little fellow; I feel asleep with it in my hoodie pocket and woke up 1.5hrs later, or so, and the Alien had gotten fairly warm. So I'm wondering what kind of amp this thing is driving with. Whatever the amp is it sounds amazing...I have been listening to my tunes at a louder level because the control, stability and balance is quite natural and addicting!

Yes, I have experienced that as well. It gets fairly hot/warm.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,422 of 3,124
Feb 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,423 of 3,124
Read what I typed again and then post your opinion
tongue.gif

Besides, I don't really side with either camp when it comes to burn-in. As long as it sounds good, I'm happy!
Haha it actually sounded better than I expected out of the Alien! I wasn't expecting a mere 55mA to help it along the way so much!

I'll be free during Easter c:

LETS GO DRINK (j/k) (or may be not)

for the output power, well, don't trust the figure that much...

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,424 of 3,124

Don't be surprised if soon (or already) you can never use Jet Effects enhancements again after adjusting to flat setting. (especially one as engaging as Aliens sig) This was the case for me when I first threw away the Cowon evilness years ago. BBE sounds like over processed cheeseburgers now.

Yeh can see what yer saying. However, everytime i listened to 'Flat' on other sources such as Android, Sansa (and even Cowon), it sounded dull and lifeless, almost suffocated, each source was begging for some eq fiddling. The Alien is nothing like this, it sounds almost as if it has had some eq tweaking already, perhaps even a small amount of BBE (like 1-2/10), I can't agree that it is 'Flat' at all, least not from my other experiences of what Flat is like.
It sounds even more V Shaped than my Foobar running through a Fiio E9+E7 DAC combo which (up until the alien) was the most lively Flat i had ever used...

You're that guy who stumbles into the party, trips straight onto the table and spills all the beers. 
tongue.gif

Honestly, time for a return if you'd narrowed down the charger. (mine charged ok from day one)

lmao

Hahah nice... how much?

That's because it's an exothermic organism.

Hehehe. Mine has never gotten very hot FWIW.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,425 of 3,124
In response to the whole burn in debate and really any other technical point of dispute, I have two quotes I'm very fond of using in conjunction with one another:

1) "The more you think, the more you stink!" - Neil Young

2) "If it sounds good, it is good!" - Me

That is all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back