A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,382 of 3,124
I just crossed airport controls, and the guys required to listen to the Alien, they didn't believe it being a music player...

Oh man, with your H8's? I would be so pissed if security insisted on using my >$1k ciem's to prove my Alien was a DAP and not a bomb. Jfc that sucks if it was

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,383 of 3,124
Ugh. Even charging with the ipad charger I'm at 3.5 hours and its not charged yet. I doesn't sound like a big deal but one of the reasons 8 hours run time is managable is because of 2 hours charge time. Could the cord be an issue? If not I guess I'll have to contact Shozy.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,384 of 3,124
  Ugh. Even charging with the ipad charger I'm at 3.5 hours and its not charged yet. I doesn't sound like a big deal but one of the reasons 8 hours run time is managable is because of 2 hours charge time. Could the cord be an issue? If not I guess I'll have to contact Shozy.

I have good news, for you at least. After I had charged my Alien till the red light went off, 1h 45min, the battery only lasted for 4 hours at best, although the reason for this has yet to be determined.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,385 of 3,124
Mine came in a while ago (silver SN 00490) but I finally got around to listening to it tonight. Sounds bass-light but that's just because I'm used to having some bass EQed up on my DX50/627 MICRO combo so I have to get used to it.

@NLNH thought you might be interested :p

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,386 of 3,124
LOL. Watch out! Aliens will be listed in prohibited goods soon... checked luggage only :wink:

this has been the first time in my life I touched soil in the USA, only for transiting. ..and boy these security checks ARE freaking frightening. ....first time i was afraid of cops in my life....

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,387 of 3,124
this has been the first time in my life I touched soil in the USA, only for transiting. ..and boy these security checks ARE freaking frightening. ....first time i was afraid of cops in my life....

Haha, I thought that was strange, French authorites are probably a bit jumpy after what happened in Paris. I was under the impression things like that only happen in the US and violà ...

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,388 of 3,124
Mine came in a while ago (silver SN 00490) but I finally got around to listening to it tonight. Sounds bass-light but that's just because I'm used to having some bass EQed up on my DX50/627 MICRO combo so I have to get used to it.

@NLNH
 thought you might be interested :p

iam listening through my jh16 which is already abit bassy,

The quantity is not too much but certainly it is punchy, tight and of high quality.

to my ears i feel the bass is more cleaner than my x5.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,389 of 3,124

They are all in album folder, so there's not more then about 12 files per folder.

I purchased one as flac so I can't reconvert can I? I have the CD for the other but its buried somewhere in some box. 

I tried verifying the file integrity using foobar and there's not problem. 

I suppose 2 tracks failing out of about 400 loaded isn't that bad, although I haven't listened to all yet.

When converting bought FLAC, make sure not to use Auto settings for stuff like bitrate, the Shozy can't handle top range of bit rate (i think), 16bit is most? Be sure to have it off Auto and select 16 might help...

So what are peoples favourite pairings?
I knew a few people have mentioned the FX850.

I thought the pairing with my Tralucent Ref1's was amazing however lacked a LITTLE control.  That said, the resulting sound is natural.
I am currently using it with my Senn Momentum In-Ear as my knock around set and it sounds nice enough, but doesnt blow me away.

I've been running my Alien with the Rain2's for about a fortnight now and don't yet feel the need to try another set of IEM's. Although I'm keen to try them with a pair of momentum on ears for extended travelling.

This current pairing sounds so good to me that I have listened to them constantly till the batteries run low (songs start to stutter) on 3 or 4 occasions with no discomfort or fatigue at all.

The Alien is so simple and sounds so good I can fire it up, press play and completely forget it even exists whilst I truly enjoy the music.

With the exception of my Fender Strat, the Alien is probably the best musical purchase I have made in the last 10 years, as it has allowed me to really focus on listening to music with enjoyment, despite my hectic and busy lifestyle.

Thanks to you guys for putting me on to it!

Anyone else have favorite pairings that particularly impressed them?

for those who have got the first version try with pfe (any in the series), superb synergy! =D

I use my PFE 232's and the Shozy absolutely sings! Mind you, most things sing with the PFE 232's, unlike my Yamaha EPH-100's, they sound very hissy (highest hiss I have ever heard) and pretty average connected to some other sources, but once inserted into the Alien they absolutely sound superb (with no hiss at all!).

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,390 of 3,124

@NLNH thought you might be interested :p

The bass improves after a while and it gets more solid and defined. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,391 of 3,124

The bass improves after a while and it gets more solid and defined. 

Is it too controversial to suggest that burn in doesn't exist but rather your ears adjust to what you're hearing and new standards are set?

Before the Shozy I was using a Cowon i9+, with BBE and Jet Effects in full swing, the DSP tweaks were not subtle lets put it that way.
I used all 4 custom EQ slots for basically keeping the same sound signature but with different Bass emphasis (Custom 1 being the most Bass down to Custom 4 being the least).
When I shuffled music, and I was running from a Jazz song into a metal song into a techno/house song and then into a rap song I found I had to constantly change to a different EQ slot because either the Bass was underpowered on a metal track or too much on a house/techno or rap song etc. I was accustomed to pretty much riding on the peak of Bass on any given genre via toggling through these custom slots, so much to the point I was drowning out other aspects of the song. Tut tut...

The Shozy on the other hand can't allow for any EQ toggle, instead WYSIWYG (or hear in this case), and to begin with I was questioning the Bass as to decide if it was enough (coming from previous listening). I came to the conclusion that it provides the perfect amount of bass, and the quality of Bass is also high. No longer is it overpowering other aspects of a song, and no more do I find myself having to lower volume or being disappointed that I can't increase or lower Bass from one genre to the next, somehow it is just spot on for everything I throw at it.

If i could have found this 'sweet spot' on my Cowon i9+ I would have been so much happier as I wouldn't had to toggle all the time, but the fact that you can toggle on a Cowon means you will never find that sweet spot, because you will always tinker...

It is of my opinion that you get used to hearing your own music in a different way, new Bass standards are set, your ears forget the amount of bass you were once experiencing and now find this to be an acceptable amount.

Since i have been using mine for the last 2 months I wouldn't say anything has changed since day 1 of hearing.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,392 of 3,124
  I have good news, for you at least. After I had charged my Alien till the red light went off, 1h 45min, the battery only lasted for 4 hours at best, although the reason for this has yet to be determined.

Yeah after charging mine for about 4 hours last night it went dead after about four hours today. 

I would really like to know if I've gotten a lemon or if this is standard. If the former, I'll get it replaced. If the latter I'll try for a refund. A 1:1 run:charge time ratio isn't acceptable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,393 of 3,124

Yeah after charging mine for about 4 hours last night it went dead after about four hours today. 

I would really like to know if I've gotten a lemon or if this is standard. If the former, I'll get it replaced. If the latter I'll try for a refund. A 1:1 run:charge time ratio isn't acceptable.

1:1 run time:charge time = charge at night listen during the day?
Weren't you the one with the probably incompatible charger?

I have to test it further how long mine runs after charging it till the red light goes of, because I have my Alien usually on pause for prolonged periods.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,394 of 3,124
  1:1 run time:charge time = charge at night listen during the day?
Weren't you the one with the probably incompatible charger?

I have to test it further how long mine runs after charging it till the red light goes of, because I have my Alien usually on pause for prolonged periods.

Yeah I was but I switch to the higher power ipad charger.

I suppose you are right about night:day except when you may be travelling and want to recharge quickly in the airport. The bigger problem is not getting 8 hours of run time. That's kind of the minimum acceptable, given the standard work day.

Let me know how your tests go.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,395 of 3,124
Just for reference, I am getting between 5.5 and 7.5 hours run time. Shorter times if I am constantly turning the unit on and off, longer times if I just let it play with no interruptions. Total recharge time off my PC via USB is approximately 90 minutes.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back