A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 13, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,366 of 3,124
Anyone else get a freeze up occassional that seems to happen when taking out/putting in a headphone jack? The sound stutters and the blue light stays one. Don't know what its all about.

Yeah I had this a few times when I was a/b against my ak100ii.
Considering how many hours I have put on my alien though it's pretty rare

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,367 of 3,124
  I experience the same "beep" noise when changing songs. The reason I asked was to make sure you didn't mean the click from the physical buttons, people are just too used to touchscreens nowadays.

On a different matter, charging takes, with a standard microUSB phone charger from empty to full(or at least till the red light goes off) in exactly 1h 45min.

I'm jealous. I'm 2.5 hours in using a phone charger and its not full. And it wasn't empty to begin with either. What could explain the difference in charge times?

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,368 of 3,124

I'm jealous. I'm 2.5 hours in using a phone charger and its not full. And it wasn't empty to begin with either. What could explain the difference in charge times?

What's the output of the charger?  They aren't all the same.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,370 of 3,124

Its hard to read but I think its 5.1 V and 850 mA.

Edit: Still charging btw, 3.5 hours in.

I would take it off charge now, just to be safe.

Look into getting yourself one of these (you can find one on your eBay) They're 4 port USB hubs and max out at 2.1amps. This is what I use to charge virtually everything, from my phone, DX90, DX50, X1, Colorfly C3, Alien etc etc, you get the idea.

Well worth it and you can throw away several chargers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Ports-USB-Wall-Home-AC-Charger-Adapter-for-IPAD-3-4-Samsung-Galaxy-s5-i9600-/181482018951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a412bd887

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,371 of 3,124

I would take it off charge now, just to be safe.

Look into getting yourself one of these (you can find one on your eBay) They're 4 port USB hubs and max out at 2.1amps. This is what I use to charge virtually everything, from my phone, DX90, DX50, X1, Colorfly C3, Alien etc etc, you get the idea.

Well worth it and you can throw away several chargers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Ports-USB-Wall-Home-AC-Charger-Adapter-for-IPAD-3-4-Samsung-Galaxy-s5-i9600-/181482018951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a412bd887

That looks cool. I also have an ipad charger which is 2.4 amps I could use.

Does this indicate an issue with my battery? Are people getting much shorter charge times with the same output charger?

I've charged it till the orange light went off before so I know it does shut off.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #1,372 of 3,124

That looks cool. I also have an ipad charger which is 2.4 amps I could also use

Does this indicate an issue with my battery? Are people getting much shorter charge times with the same output charger?

I think its worth your time buying another charger, obviously 3.5 hours is a long time. I think you should really look into getting a 4 port USB charger and not use the phone one anymore. For now, I would just charge Alien from your laptop USB to be safe. You won't hurt it with the ipad charger though, a charging circuit will only draw the amps it requires. Sounds like the phone charger you're using just isn't doing the job correctly. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,373 of 3,124

Its hard to read but I think its 5.1 V and 850 mA.

Edit: Still charging btw, 3.5 hours in.

There are cell phone chargers that go up to 2.4A now, so they could charge almost 3 times quicker.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,374 of 3,124

There are cell phone chargers that go up to 2.4A now, so they could charge almost 3 times quicker.

It depends. Generally a device will only take the amperage needed to charge its internal battery.

If you use a 2amp charger and the device only requires 1amp then it will only take 1amp. Using higher amperage doesn't always mean a device will always charge quicker.

Have a read of this information.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Faskscience%2Fcomments%2F1lk5vf%2Fwhat_happens_if_i_plug_a_device_that_uses_a_1a%2F&ei=mcPeVOGwOMPDmwWo74GoDA&usg=AFQjCNESWs0X6qEKR-JD_q2NHAhAcjQDDQ&sig2=wPhGLC6NtWcH_QpIJdHGbQ&bvm=bv.85970519,d.dGY

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,375 of 3,124

It depends. Generally a device will only take the amperage needed to charge its internal battery.

If you use a 2amp charger and the device only requires 1amp then it will only take 1amp. Using higher amperage doesn't always mean a device will always charge quicker.

Have a read of this information.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Faskscience%2Fcomments%2F1lk5vf%2Fwhat_happens_if_i_plug_a_device_that_uses_a_1a%2F&ei=mcPeVOGwOMPDmwWo74GoDA&usg=AFQjCNESWs0X6qEKR-JD_q2NHAhAcjQDDQ&sig2=wPhGLC6NtWcH_QpIJdHGbQ&bvm=bv.85970519,d.dGY

Yep I'm aware of that.  850mah is definitely on the lower side.  Shozy is obviously a bit sparse on the tech specs, but even if it is a 1amp input it would be 17% faster using a 1amp charger.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,376 of 3,124

Yep I'm aware of that.  850mah is definitely on the lower side.  Shozy is obviously a bit sparse on the tech specs, but even if it is a 1amp input it would be 17% faster using a 1amp charger.

There's also this qoute from the link I provided. (I"m guessing) the Alien likes 1amp and using 850mah just isn't cutting it.

However, plugging a 1A device into a 0.5A charger may cause a problem. The device will ask for 1A, but the charger can only supply 0.5A. What happens depends on how the charger is designed. In some chargers, it could unrepairably damage the charger. You might hear something pop, smell some burning metal, or see some smoke. If it was a really cheap charger, that's probably what will happen. In better chargers, there will likely be a fuse or other current limiting device to cut off the power before the charger is damaged. Your device won't get any power, but the charger either won't be harmed or is much easier to fix.

Could be a case, could not be, either way, a new charger for Stuff Jones would be advisable. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,378 of 3,124
I faced the same freezing with stuttering but it was not related to taking out / putting headphone jack.

It stuttered and freezed at the start of the same song each time, after reconverting it to flac or wav again using dbpoweramp, the song worked normally.

Yeah I had this a few times when I was a/b against my ak100ii.
Considering how many hours I have put on my alien though it's pretty rare

Mine is pretty reliable in this regard - it stutters/freezes when the battery is empty at which point I turn it off, after that it's good as new.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,379 of 3,124
I just crossed airport controls, and the guys required to listen to the Alien, they didn't believe it being a music player...

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #1,380 of 3,124
I just crossed airport controls, and the guys required to listen to the Alien, they didn't believe it being a music player...

That's hilarious! It does look kind of 'Space Ninja' though... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back