A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,337 of 3,124
  Now that you mention I think most of the positive reviews I read were for the OVER ears, not the ON ears. I'll have to try them out as I have huge ears (thanks Dad!).

You might want to try the new Momentum wireless, the cups on those are a bit larger, however if you don't plan on using bluetooth connectivity it's probably not a good value.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,339 of 3,124
How can you tell?

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,340 of 3,124
  Is anyone actually able to charge theirs in 2 hours as per the box? Mine takes a lot longer.

What are you using for the wall wart? I use a Samsung that puts out 2 amps, so whatever I am charging can take what it needs and I get the fastest charge as a computer is a poor source for charging any of the daps, too little current available so it takes too long but it will eventually charge a dap, depending on the amount of discharge and size of the battery. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,342 of 3,124
  A few complaints:

1. The often mentioned repeat song bug when you skip too many songs
2. Extremely annoying that this DAC doesn't support gapless play 

3. I don't know if anyone wants to experiment with this but I think it's relatively safe as long as you aren't too aggressive...

One the male end of your cable is inserted into the jack of the Alien, hold the hand of the male end and tip the section of it that is closest to the female end towards the "back" of the DAC. You will notice that you lose signal to your left earphone. I almost ended up returning my cables because I thought it was the reason for this, but it's actually the Alien. I came across this issue when simply placing the DAC on a table while it is turned on and listening to music. A slight nuisance, especially for those using a straight end instead of a right angled end

Does yours cut out on one channel now? I experienced this with one set of headphones when I rotated the jack but it didn't happen with another pair. Its a little bit worrying although now I'm trying to recreate it its not happening. I hope this is not something that's going to worsen.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,343 of 3,124

Does yours cut out on one channel now? I experienced this with one set of headphones when I rotated the jack but it didn't happen with another pair. Its a little bit worrying although now I'm trying to recreate it its not happening. I hope this is not something that's going to worsen.

Don't try to recreate it, that's how it's going to get worse. If you had the issue only with one headphone the problem is more likely to be found on the male connector.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,344 of 3,124
I contacted Shozy when I discovered it (a few days after purchasing the Alien initially) and sent back my Alien for a new one. I'm happy to report that it doesn't happen with my new Alien.

Plus, the black Alien looks sick. I could slap myself for being reluctant on "settling" for the black one instead of wait a month for the silver or grey one

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,345 of 3,124
  How can you tell?

It wasn't even empty and last night I charged it for over 3 hours and it the orange light was still on. 

What are you using for the wall wart? I use a Samsung that puts out 2 amps, so whatever I am charging can take what it needs and I get the fastest charge as a computer is a poor source for charging any of the daps, too little current available so it takes too long but it will eventually charge a dap, depending on the amount of discharge and size of the battery. 

Using a motorola phone charger and also the computer. I haven't run it down all the way yet, but extrapolating for how much I though was left in my battery the times seemed well short of the 2 hours on the box. I'll have to test it more rigorously though,

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,346 of 3,124
  Don't try to recreate it, that's how it's going to get worse. If you had the issue only with one headphone the problem is more likely to be found on the male connector.

Just discovered to my relief it was probably the headphone jack as reversing the chord and turning it on the headphone end resulted in the same thing. 
  I contacted Shozy when I discovered it (a few days after purchasing the Alien initially) and sent back my Alien for a new one. I'm happy to report that it doesn't happen with my new Alien.

Plus, the black Alien looks sick. I could slap myself for being reluctant on "settling" for the black one instead of wait a month for the silver or grey one

Glad to hear they took care of you.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,347 of 3,124
A few complaints:

1. The often mentioned repeat song bug when you skip too many songs
2. Extremely annoying that this DAC doesn't support gapless play 

3. I don't know if anyone wants to experiment with this but I think it's relatively safe as long as you aren't too aggressive...

One the male end of your cable is inserted into the jack of the Alien, hold the hand of the male end and tip the section of it that is closest to the female end towards the "back" of the DAC. You will notice that you lose signal to your left earphone. I almost ended up returning my cables because I thought it was the reason for this, but it's actually the Alien. I came across this issue when simply placing the DAC on a table while it is turned on and listening to music. A slight nuisance, especially for those using a straight end instead of a right angled end

for point 1 :

How do you organize the songs on the sdcard, in folders or no folders, number of songs per folder ?

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,348 of 3,124
  Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out.

Yup, the Mikros 90's are very good indeed, especially when you consider that they often go on sale for ridiculously low prices. My only gripe about them is that I don't find them to be very comfortable. But others do, so ymmv.

The Kef M500's are very good on ears as well, and are very comfortable (at the expense of not staying on the head all that well when moving around). But they cost a lot more than the 90's.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,349 of 3,124
The Thinksound on1s are very good but for some reason they sound a little grainy or harsh with the Alien. Maybe because its underpowered for them? I'll listen more to confirm its not just confirmation bias.

Concur on the Mikros. Best sound for the money I've heard but comfort isn't... comfortable.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,350 of 3,124
Out of the box I am greatly appreciating how well the XBA-A3's+Comply T-200 and Shozy+E12A (I basically use this as a glorified volume knob) sound together. 

Will have to see how things are after a burn in and cable change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back