A little about the Shozy Alien
Nov 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #122 of 3,124
The Tera player is $3680 euro :-/

Lol 
confused_face(1).gif

Over 5K AUD...

I can buy a high end headphone setup with that much. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #124 of 3,124
  Have you ever heard one? I haven't had the chance, but at that price have always been interested to see what the fuss is about.

No, but for me, the lack of a screen is a killer for any DAP over $500 or so, let alone $5000. 

I don't imagine the sound would even come close to any full sized DAC/amps around that price though. 

I'm quite interested in the Shozy though, looks very promising but only FLAC and WAV is a bit annoying. I see you've put your X5 up for sale? 

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #126 of 3,124
  No, but for me, the lack of a screen is a killer for any DAP over $500 or so, let alone $5000. 

I don't imagine the sound would even come close to any full sized DAC/amps around that price though. 

I'm quite interested in the Shozy though, looks very promising but only FLAC and WAV is a bit annoying. I see you've put your X5 up for sale? 

Yeah, and the reason is...

Lololol fiio for sale. :p .. You guys should also try the hum pervasion
smily_headphones1.gif

...I'm hoping to buy one of these to replace the X5. I really like the X5, but the Alien has it beaten on SQ so I'm taking the opportunity to take a punt on something different. I'm a bit like H20 in that I really enjoy trying unique, niche gear and have no problems with the occasional challenges they present - there's always a work-around

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #129 of 3,124
To each his own. Guys that like their Teras have what's right for them and fortunately most got them under $2k. It's just not for me, even though I suspect i'd like it's sonics. I've heard the Altmann home DAC with the recommended battery and even bypassed with a well chosen electrolytic to improve it's attack and thought it was quite good but not top home kit great.

Daps shouldn't be expected to be top home kit great but at $2k plus those expectations will change a bit. When they have limited function, perhaps more so. A Hugo with a good SP/dif succeeds but it's really the only one I've heard that does. That said, a Tera is a unique device and for some, the only game in town. Makes it perfectly valid for those that feel that way. Just like the feeling that AKs are a poor value. Doesn't matter if it brings it's owner some joy. I'm sure Tera owners feel that it's stopped them chasing their tails looking for nirvana. That's not a bad thing...if you feel it's that good, are willing to fork over the funds and live with it's functionality at that price. Too many/strong ifs for me, personally.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #130 of 3,124
Apparently Terra was actually an inspiration for Shozy Alien, heard from a friend of a friend.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #134 of 3,124
  Wrong. It was the inspiration for 24 Aliens!
wink_face.gif
I am 24 times more likely to accept the alien's OS.

Ha,,

Well, if we're going to dress one up in a little mini skirt and send it down the catwalk I know which one looks more appealing. 
wink_face.gif

Btw: I've been having a ball with Alien this evening. Listening to all sorts of music, Taylor Swift, Andrea Bocelli, Ane Brun, Alien certainly has a specific sound you pick up, very very clear, high detail and resolution, rich in clarity. Like Loquah said separation is quite strong, well accurate is a better word. The only thing you'll need to live with is hearing the first 3 seconds of which ever track is first up on your card before shuffling on. Bonus is I'm hearing all sorts of new tracks I'd usually skip past or overlook with a screen guiding me.

Fun, different, random, surprising call it what you wish. I"m also learning to drive one handed quickly! (two hands for beginners)

You'll find the casing design is completely user friendly to the palm of ones hand.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #135 of 3,124

Bonus is I'm hearing all sorts of new tracks I'd usually skip past or overlook with a screen guiding me.

This is rather telling. It's not just the screen as those tracks are as easy to skip as before. You've listened to more than a few secs of these tracks in the past. It has to be better at playing music to stick with them. The closer you get to the emotional message, the more you understand the art and diverse your taste becomes. 

Last night I was listening to Radiohead, Itzhak Perlman, Joan Armatrading, Kurt Elling, Yes, Quartet West, Andreas Vollenweider, Joni etc, etc. There's so much good music out there.
beerchug.gif

My issue is that I go where the flow takes me which isn't what a no screen players does best. That said, I don't do this nearly as much on the go which is the only time I use a portable so i'll be OK if it sings like you guys say. If i feel the need, I can always build a playlist folder or hit random which is always fun and interesting. It does have a skip feature.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back