A little about the Shozy Alien
Jan 10, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,001 of 3,124

You should not.
Its measurements are downright awful : http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087
I got two and each one sucks BIG time, even with my best op amps (MUSES, Burson, etc). IMHO everyone should forget this piece of crap, sincerely.

Zishan DSD seems far better : http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107744
Too bad this DAP is so ugly, though...

The design of the Alien + is just... meh.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,002 of 3,124
The walnut sounds great with many hp's, just not sensitive BA iems where it will affect their FR. Walnut sounds great with hybrid ibasso IT03, and koss portapro. Walnut has some bass and treble roll-off, but it is not missed as the sound is so dynamic, sounds great to me! My alien is collecting dust while my walnut is collecting scratches from use. Zishan DSD is also an excellent dap that gives daps 3x it's price something to think about.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,003 of 3,124
  The walnut sounds great with many hp's, just not sensitive BA iems where it will affect their FR. Walnut sounds great with hybrid ibasso IT03, and koss portapro. Walnut has some bass and treble roll-off, but it is not missed as the sound is so dynamic, sounds great to me! My alien is collecting dust while my walnut is collecting scratches from use. Zishan DSD is also an excellent dap that gives daps 3x it's price something to think about.

How'd you think it would fair with my PFE 232's? Bare in mind I like my choons LOUD! hehe... might grab one anyway, for sh!ts and giigles.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,004 of 3,124

How'd you think it would fair with my PFE 232's? Bare in mind I like my choons LOUD! hehe... might grab one anyway, for sh!ts and giigles.

Honestly hard to say, I'm not sure because that is still a pure BA iem, but at least it's not an overly sensitive one, so it could go either way. It would depend on what the PFE 232's measured impedance curve looks like. I would be wary though, walnut completely robs the bass from my triple BA Fischer TBA-04, but the triple BA Sony XBA-03 sounds ok, so it really depends on impedance curves, walnut is basically picky with BA because they don't have flat impedance curves and walnut has high output impedance, don't blame the walnut that people use hearing aid drivers in earphones :p Just grab a pair of Koss Portapro or KSC-75 and let the tunes roll, loud!

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,005 of 3,124
I just like some of the things the walnut has going for it;

Pros
- screenless with a resume from last left off (Alien can't do this)
- decent battery life (tho I'd take less for a lighter DAP, 99g means it's heavier than the Alien which I think is also too heavy for screenless)
- Analogue volume
- Simple 'feelable' buttons.
- And price obviously
- MP3 support

Cons
- weight
- mixed reviews of sound quality, more fussy perhaps with what the user has on hand to pair with.
- no folder navigation (lack of search, no interesting 'long presses of buttons' features
- no shuffle (tho my Shuffler program can circumnavigate that issue
- tags may cause an issue

I might grab one just to see...

I need more DAPs as you can clearly see;

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,006 of 3,124
Not trying to derail the thread but as I have Alien and Walnut I would like to chime in;
The RMAA response - we are measuring the FR out of the PO, not what is actually coming out of the phone. I have been using with Monk+ as my budget portable and really enjoying it and below is an RTA of the FR coming out of the ear bud post some minor EQ via FB2K

Call it synergy but I'm just not missing much. Perhaps I'm not as concerned with infrasub freqs as I listen to Cohen, Bowie etc but Daft Punk sounds fine too.

Do I like Alien, sure I do but defaulting volume and memory location can be tiresome. I feel Alien has a wider sound stage and better resolution.

Do I like Walnut, sure I do. The sound stage is more narrow but still okay, call it engaging, and the dynamics are great! Not too mention it resumes at the exact moment you turned it off which is awesome and makes Walnut a clear winner in my book. So I have to adjust EQ slightly to make it right for my ears/preferences, no biggie. I try to be a purist but other sound systems get EQed and no one cares as long as you are not sacrificing FR or Dynamic range.

Being able to adjust digital volume to vary range of the analog volume is also nice. I was listening a pretty low volume yesterday and had a nice range of motion via the pot.

Weight - it's light weight to the point that my earbuds almost pulled it off my desk the other day. Easily pocketable without issue. The C3 is heavy IMO.

I would recommend Walnut just for the fun of it! It has an enjoyable signature.

Back to Alien...

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,007 of 3,124
Not trying to derail the thread but as I have Alien and Walnut I would like to chime in;
The RMAA response - we are measuring the FR out of the PO, not what is actually coming out of the phone. I have been using with Monk+ as my budget portable and really enjoying it and below is an RTA of the FR coming out of the ear bud post some minor EQ via FB2K

Call it synergy but I'm just not missing much. Perhaps I'm not as concerned with infrasub freqs as I listen to Cohen, Bowie etc but Daft Punk sounds fine too.

Do I like Alien, sure I do but defaulting volume and memory location can be tiresome. I feel Alien has a wider sound stage and better resolution.

Do I like Walnut, sure I do. The sound stage is more narrow but still okay, call it engaging, and the dynamics are great! Not too mention it resumes at the exact moment you turned it off which is awesome and makes Walnut a clear winner in my book. So I have to adjust EQ slightly to make it right for my ears/preferences, no biggie. I try to be a purist but other sound systems get EQed and no one cares as long as you are not sacrificing FR or Dynamic range.

Being able to adjust digital volume to vary range of the analog volume is also nice. I was listening a pretty low volume yesterday and had a nice range of motion via the pot.

Weight - it's light weight to the point that my earbuds almost pulled it off my desk the other day. Easily pocketable without issue. The C3 is heavy IMO.

I would recommend Walnut just for the fun of it! It has an enjoyable signature.

Back to Alien...

I think it's fine to talk about the Alien vs some competition, especially when that competition is very relevant (screenless DAP etc).

Might I think ask you a couple more questions;

-Would u mind weighing your walnut on some kitchen scales, exactly what weight is it (in grams)?
-Yer talking about EQing the walnut here, via foobar? I'm confused, please explain? Are you saying you can make files or something for EQ in foobar and somehow get the walnut to take those eq tweaks across? That's pretty amazing if it can do that! Or are u amping the walnut and then pairing with a phone or device that has a portable installation of foobar etc. Curious minds want to know as I'm a bit of a EQ junkie.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #3,009 of 3,124
  I weighed mine at 100g exact. I feel like it weighs nothing... My phone is far heavier.

Yeh weight can be deceptive when the size of the thing varies. For example, the colorfly C3 is 100g, but it's small therefore feels heavy, something like this I imagine should look like it feels more due to it's size but actually weighs less than your mind thinks it might, therefore seems light.

FYI my phone is 98g (Blu Vivo Lite) :p

I just come from a school of thought that says if yer missing a screen yer a 'shuffle like' DAP, therefore suitable for exercising scenarios, but 85-99g is too heavy really for that. It doesn't put me off, especially at that price, I woulda just been more attracted to it if it had 8hrs battery life and half the weight.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,010 of 3,124
  Yeh weight can be deceptive when the size of the thing varies. For example, the colorfly C3 is 100g, but it's small therefore feels heavy, something like this I imagine should look like it feels more due to it's size but actually weighs less than your mind thinks it might, therefore seems light. FYI my phone is 98g (Blu Vivo Lite) :p

I just come from a school of thought that says if yer missing a screen yer a 'shuffle like' DAP, therefore suitable for exercising scenarios, but 85-99g is too heavy really for that. It doesn't put me off, especially at that price, I woulda just been more attracted to it if it had 8hrs battery life and half the weight.

My phone is 150g, LG G3 with 5.5" screen. I am completely fine with Walnut's weight. Actually if it weighed less that would be a turn off... It already feels light to me, I don't want a cheap feeling device.

I'm kinda the opposite of you, when I'm looking at products I associate weight with quality, I hilariously have been known to buy the heavier product purposefully 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,011 of 3,124

I think it's fine to talk about the Alien vs some competition, especially when that competition is very relevant (screenless DAP etc).

Might I think ask you a couple more questions;

-Would u mind weighing your walnut on some kitchen scales, exactly what weight is it (in grams)?
-Yer talking about EQing the walnut here, via foobar? I'm confused, please explain? Are you saying you can make files or something for EQ in foobar and somehow get the walnut to take those eq tweaks across? That's pretty amazing if it can do that! Or are u amping the walnut and then pairing with a phone or device that has a portable installation of foobar etc. Curious minds want to know as I'm a bit of a EQ junkie.

​Unfortunately, I don't have scales but I will trust everyones measurements. I took my C3 out of the silicon cover and just by handling the C3 feels heavier but again it may be the size differential that is throwing me off.

If you go into the FB2K Converter function...

under Processing chose Equalizer...

The little bit of EQ I'm using is above. I can PM you the EQ preset file if you would like. You can also adjust to your own preference.

This is why I love FB2K so much, I have different Converter presets for my car USB stick, my Alien, Walnut, C3 etc. It has mostly concerned tag and format handling but the EQ function works rather well.

I think there is a way to do 4-band Parametric EQ as well but I'm happy with this Graphic.

I recall you liking the AP100 specifically for it's EQ and SRC functionality!

Cheers!

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #3,012 of 3,124

​Unfortunately, I don't have scales but I will trust everyones measurements. I took my C3 out of the silicon cover and just by handling the C3 feels heavier but again it may be the size differential that is throwing me off.

If you go into the FB2K Converter function...

under Processing chose Equalizer...

The little bit of EQ I'm using is above. I can PM you the EQ preset file if you would like. You can also adjust to your own preference.

This is why I love FB2K so much, I have different Converter presets for my car USB stick, my Alien, Walnut, C3 etc. It has mostly concerned tag and format handling but the EQ function works rather well.

I think there is a way to do 4-band Parametric EQ as well but I'm happy with this Graphic.

I recall you liking the AP100 specifically for it's EQ and SRC functionality!

Cheers!

Ah yes, yer EQing the files during the conversion process, makes sense. Yes I use foobar, not to that degree, but it was necessary to get to grips with the conversion tool for the Alien and especially if I wanted to shuffle a lot of tracks and use replaygain for playback.
Didn't know it could EQ tracks, that's great.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,015 of 3,124
People saying 100g too heavy... I think my headphone jack weighs more than that :p.

Ok maybe not.

I do miss my alien, but I just do go portable enough anymore to justify buying another one.

It really was amazing for what it is.

I think is all down to the form factor more then the weight itself.For example the Tera Player is 80 gr but has a heft to it, because is so small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back