A list of USB portable headphone amplifiers that support Android powered cellphones?
Sep 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kawaivpc1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys.
I'm looking for a portable headphone amp with USB input that support Android cellphones and other devices.
I will going to use it with a USB Audio Player PRO app.
Please list all of them you guys know! so far, the only thing I have found is iDSD Nano.

It seems like some of USB portable headphone amps doesn't work with android... :/

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 18
What Smartphone do you have?
What HP/IEM will you use?

LH Lab's Geek Out 100 for IEM, Geek Out 1000 for HP

Best bang for the buck IMO. They have this volume bug for now on the volume buttons that will be fixed soon thru firmware.
Small, powerful and sounds amazing.

But you know Android its a trial and error thing because USB Audio is not officially supported yet.

Go to this post for further info:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5310#post_10854839

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 18
What Smartphone do you have?
What HP/IEM will you use?

LH Lab's Geek Out 100 for IEM, Geek Out 1000 for HP

Best bang for the buck IMO. They have this volume bug for now on the volume buttons that will be fixed soon thru firmware.
Small, powerful and sounds amazing.

But you know Android its a trial and error thing because USB Audio is not officially supported yet.

Go to this post for further info:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5310#post_10854839

What a great list! thanks!!!!
I have Virgin Mobile Supreme and Shure SRH 1840, Audeze LCD-X.
I'm looking for a 3D like wide sound stage.
Geek Out 1000 sounds interesting... does it really have that 3D sound?

http://www.amazon.com/Geek-Out-1000-Headphone-Amplifier/product-reviews/B00JD0CV3M/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

According to this review, it doesn't work with Android phones... It seems like a great unit though.

It seems like this list explains pretty much all I'm looking for.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 18
Got Galaxy Note 3, Note 10.1 (2014) and Tab S 8.4 LTE with Android 4.4.2 all working.

Same with a friends Galaxy S3. But with S4 its not though.

So I don't know if it will for for you sorry. Just like all Dac/Amp on Android.

That is why I gave you a that list for your perusal.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 18
I'll be honest, I've been looking for a different amp/dac for my note 3 but not coming up with anything and when he mentioned the geek out, it was like a bit of a light bulb moment, so I just bought one.  

Kinda excited to see how it works and if I can hardwire a OTG connection onto it.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 18
Like this one?

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 18
SQ just like on the reviews...Amazing!

One thing with Note 3 though, Stock, Neutron MP, Poweramp players work flawlessly. In UAPP you need to run the previous players mentioned to trigger. And UAPP now plays DSD btw.

With Note 10.1 (2014) or Tab S 8.4 LTE I don't have those problems though.

With colors. Now not much (got mine on their IGG campaign). Now you have Silver - GO450, Black - GO720, Red - GO1000 where number are its power rating (mW). GO100 for IEM forgot the color.

If you plan it to run on Windows - Don't Touch the Bottons! It has this volume bug to go Max. They will be releasing a new firmware to address this issue along with some (SQ improvement, better Android integration).

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 18
  One thing with Note 3 though, Stock, Neutron MP, Poweramp players work flawlessly. In UAPP you need to run the previous players mentioned to trigger. And UAPP now plays DSD btw.

With Note 10.1 (2014) or Tab S 8.4 LTE I don't have those problems though.

If you plan it to run on Windows - Don't Touch the Bottons! It has this volume bug to go Max. They will be releasing a new firmware to address this issue along with some (SQ improvement, better Android integration).

Great. does it sound the same on both PC and cellphone??
I'm just worried because cellphone will supply less power for sure. and this Geek Out 1000 isn't battery-powered.

I heard about its bugs...

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 18
SQ in smartphone is just amazing especially when you go DSD using UAPP (with the workaround).

Yes Geek Out is not battery powered but I have a solution...

Y cable, battery pack, taped 5V pin on connector to host (disable power, better sound). 

With GeekOut1000 (1W) alone MP3 is around 3.7 hrs, DSD around 3 hrs.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 18
  SQ in smartphone is just amazing especially when you go DSD using UAPP (with the workaround).

Yes Geek Out is not battery powered but I have a solution...

Y cable, battery pack, taped 5V pin on connector to host (disable power, better sound). 

With GeekOut1000 (1W) alone MP3 is around 3.7 hrs, DSD around 3 hrs.

Great idea... but it won't be easy to carry this set up around..
How does Geek Out 1000 sound when you use it without this battery pack set up?
I have a Y cable and battery too.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 18
What I can say is with the tweak (battery powered, 5V pin covered), there was a bit more separation to already amazing sound I have.

I have GO1000 with my tablet however (it has more battery).  

Mike Mercer was all praises with it using his Audeze HP. And the maker Larry Ho used HD800 and LCD-X to design these.

So for SQ for your cans no problem. Battery would be an issue though if it will not be a fuss for a battery pack.

But hey, what's important is good sound right?

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 18
  What I can say is with the tweak (battery powered, 5V pin covered), there was a bit more separation to already amazing sound I have.

I have GO1000 with my tablet however (it has more battery).  

Mike Mercer was all praises with it using his Audeze HP. And the maker Larry Ho used HD800 and LCD-X to design these.

So for SQ for your cans no problem. Battery would be an issue though if it will not be a fuss for a battery pack.

But hey, what's important is good sound right?

awesome. I can't wait to try this GO 1000. as long as it works, I will buy it.

But where the heck can I find the Black color version??
I don't like red color :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back