A lesson in size (Micro and SM3 photos)
Jul 28, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I need something that will fit easily in my pocket, and the Micro will not do it well for me.

Micro definitely isn't pocketable (unless you've got gnarely pockets), but I didn't find the SuperMacro was pocketable either. I mean the SM alone is pocketable, but it's the wires - the mini-to-mini, and it's not as if you can keep the iPod and SuperMacro in the same pocket. Either way, I needed a bag for the SuperMacro or the HeadRoom Coda.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #17 of 26
Is anyone else concerned with the spacing between the input and headphone output on the Micro? It looks like it may incur some space issues with connections?

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Is anyone else concerned with the spacing between the input and headphone output on the Micro? It looks like it may incur some space issues with connections?

I don't own one but I listened to one for a few hours in their store and I plugged and unplugged several phones and sources and I never had any problems. A little more space would have been nice but I never found to plugs that wouldn't fit together.

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Micro definitely isn't pocketable (unless you've got gnarely pockets), but I didn't find the SuperMacro was pocketable either. I mean the SM alone is pocketable, but it's the wires - the mini-to-mini, and it's not as if you can keep the iPod and SuperMacro in the same pocket. Either way, I needed a bag for the SuperMacro or the HeadRoom Coda.

Best regards,

-Jason

Which amps are truly pocketable? I've been looking at SM3, Portaphile V2 and the Micro. Small size is a premium consideration, but hopefully not at the expense of sound quality.

Nick B

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

I've actually found the position of the 4 switches on the SM3 to be more of an issue for me. I have to use a paper clip if I want to mess with them after I am all plugged in.

As far as size the Micro is a bit bigger than I thought it would be too but the build quality is exceptional and it really feels like you are holding something solid. On the same side of that coin the SM3 is smaller than I thought it would be. It really is an amazing amp considering it's size.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick B
Which amps are truly pocketable? I've been looking at SM3, Portaphile V2 and the Micro. Small size is a premium consideration, but hopefully not at the expense of sound quality.

The Emmeline Hornet might be just what you're looking for. However, you may have to wait a few weeks to get your hands on one.

Quote:

I own a HeadRoom Micro amp and have used a variety of headphone/mini cables without any problem in regard to this.

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

I keep an SM3/iPod-60 combo in my shirt pocket for a few hours most days. They fit nicely, but require that I use a highly flexible m/m cable and leave the PocketDock behind. The only thing I find bothersome is their combined weight of approximately 13 ounces. Tends to pull one's shirt a bit askew, but then that only serves to expose more of my manly chest and show off the gold chain with its gilded 'possum pecker.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 26
Any of the Micro, SR-71, Hornet, SM3 size amps are pocketable if you wear cargo pants/shorts
cool.gif
Otherwise it's a bit much with any of them to stuff in your front pockets, especially if you have your keys, phone, etc.

Winter is a different story

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Any of the Micro, SR-71, Hornet, SM3 size amps are pocketable if you wear cargo pants/shorts
cool.gif
Otherwise it's a bit much with any of them to stuff in your front pockets, especially if you have your keys, phone, etc.

Winter is a different story

I agree, Winter is primetime for portables. I get to wear my wool cap over the KSC-35 (best sound Evar) and my sr71 and ipod used to live very comfortably in my outside coat pocket.

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I have an enormously large cable going into the Micro Amp (it has two thick cables which join into a big tapering thing at the end), and it's slightly problematic, in that I have to angle it slightly when plugging the headphone cables in. But it still fits, and it's a huge cable, so I wouldn't expect problems in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back