A Lesson in Audiophilism - Saving Wallets: 15 minutes reading this will save you 15% or more
Nov 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 55

Well, it's nice to have that fantasy that people live near high end audio shops but for the widest percentage of the population that's just not even marginally realistic. Only people living in select areas of the country have such things near them, and I'm unwilling to believe there are even that many in those areas. I can't think of a place in my state that would have high end headphones in stock, much less on listenable display. You'll note that many people even on this forum talk about having to order from Amazon and send something back if they don't like it because that is the reality of high end audio for most people. It's a niche market, it's irritating for those of us who simply can't go try it out to hear 'go try it out' from those of you who aren't willing to recognize the fact that not everyone exists in the same little market paradise you do. 

As for 'a day trip' to go listen to audio: Are you out of your mind? This is almost offensive given the number of things that normal people have to do in their lives every day. When you get those rare times off you go do something with the family, you don't go listen to headphones. 

No, you are!!!  and over sensitive by the way.  Go calm the F.. down.  People were just stating what they know and would like to suggest based on their personal experience/location.  If what they are saying applies to you, then fine, go do it.  If not, don't do it.  Plain and simple!

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #32 of 55

Well, it's nice to have that fantasy that people live near high end audio shops but for the widest percentage of the population that's just not even marginally realistic. Only people living in select areas of the country have such things near them, and I'm unwilling to believe there are even that many in those areas. I can't think of a place in my state that would have high end headphones in stock, much less on listenable display. You'll note that many people even on this forum talk about having to order from Amazon and send something back if they don't like it because that is the reality of high end audio for most people. It's a niche market, it's irritating for those of us who simply can't go try it out to hear 'go try it out' from those of you who aren't willing to recognize the fact that not everyone exists in the same little market paradise you do. 

As for 'a day trip' to go listen to audio: Are you out of your mind? This is almost offensive given the number of things that normal people have to do in their lives every day. When you get those rare times off you go do something with the family, you don't go listen to headphones. 

I don't even get what you want... so much of this hobby is entirely subjective.  You can listen all day long to how other people feel about a particular piece of gear, but it ultimately doesn't affect how you'll feel about it.

You simply do have to hear enough systems to have an idea of what you want/what other people are describing when they discuss that systems/how  it compares to other systems.  It's better to tell you that you need to go hear it yourself than to just tell you you're going to love something with no basis for doing so other than someone's own preferences.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 55

I don't even get what you want... so much of this hobby is entirely subjective.  You can listen all day long to how other people feel about a particular piece of gear, but it ultimately doesn't affect how you'll feel about it.

You simply do have to hear enough systems to have an idea of what you want/what other people are describing when they discuss that systems/how  it compares to other systems.  It's better to tell you that you need to go hear it yourself than to just tell you you're going to love something with no basis for doing so other than someone's own preferences.

No **** it's subjective Sherlock. I took offense in this thread at the pompousness involved in 'Go to your local hifi store and not Best Buy' and noted my specific disagreement with the content of that statement. I frankly don't care if you don't get it. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #34 of 55

No **** it's subjective Sherlock. I took offense in this thread at the pompousness involved in 'Go to your local hifi store and not Best Buy' and noted my specific disagreement with the content of that statement. I frankly don't care if you don't get it. 

The reference to Best Buy was regarding another, not you, poster mentioning visiting BB to audition high end equipment. The statement was to emphasize that BB is not high end.   Your statement about pompousness says more about you than it does about me. BTW This forum is a venue for us to share information & help where we can, if we can. It doesn't appreciate personal insults & general rude behavior.

Cheers,
kev

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #35 of 55
Stay classy guys. I went to Best Buy out of convenience and as a starting point. How many of you went to listening to HD800 straight from earbuds? Part of this hobby is the journey, and you really have to listen to the tiers in between to appreciate what the next one has to offer. I wrote this thread not to deter people from going on this journey, but to give tips on how to save money, and to do research so you get the best each tier has to offer for the price.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #36 of 55

Well, I responded to your comment that "go and listen to it" is not something you want to hear.  All I'm saying is that anything else is undeniably misleading.  If you don't go and listen to it, you really have no idea what you're in for, and it could be a waste of (quite a lot of, in some cases around here) money.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 55
  Stay classy guys. I went to Best Buy out of convenience and as a starting point. How many of you went to listening to HD800 straight from earbuds? Part of this hobby is the journey, and you really have to listen to the tiers in between to appreciate what the next one has to offer. I wrote this thread not to deter people from going on this journey, but to give tips on how to save money, and to do research so you get the best each tier has to offer for the price.

Yep, most of us have budgetary considerations & have to make compromises. It's all about finding the best you can manage within your comfort zone. It's supposed to be fun & learning what makes a difference for you is where most of the work/fun happens.

Cheers,
kev 

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 55
I had to laugh at the idea that traveling to pursue this hobby is somehow a negative. I've driven 12 hrs (round trip) to go to a Sterophile audio show, from Pittsburgh to Chicago for CES (consumer electronics show), hell, I drove 6 hrs to pick up my used Billy Bags rack! I could go on and on. I must be nuts 'cause I considered it tons of fun!!

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 55
Agreed - travelling may be annoying, but it's certainly not impossible or wasteful. Many forums like the one I run have generous members offer auditions for other members in their homes. This is about community too! jbarrentine - I think you're being very defensive. Many audio companies offer in-home trials for full size speakers, and most headphones can be heard at someone's home or a store relatively near by. If not, and you're comfortable buying blind, of course that's your perogative - just don't expect to be as successful in finding your magic recipe as those that audition.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #40 of 55
Some kids a few years back did a cross country trip for Doritos locos tacos at Taco Bell. Granted they probably got funded by Taco Bell, but traveling for this hobby is far from the worst thing you could be traveling for.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #41 of 55
  Wrong again... 
tongue.gif
 Take another 15 minutes and look around again.  There are quite a few other names that, IMO, McIntosh can barely keep up.  Of course, budget is always the restriction...

Thank you....but again everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. Something sounds like crap to one person, it may be the best thing ever happened since the slice of bread to another one.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #42 of 55
  Thank you....but again everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. Something sounds like crap to one person, it may be the best thing ever happened since the slice of bread to another one.

To an extent..., I agree with you but if something sounds like "crap to one person", the chance it sounds like the best thing ever happened since sliced bread for someone else is very small.  Stop exaggerating to the extreme and yes, it's a subjective hobby but there is still right and wrong when it comes to certain things/aspects.  It's like saying "I only have $100 to buy a pair of HPs and to me it's the best thing...Your HD800 sounds like crap".  Finally, just like a..hole, everyone has one and entitled to it.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #43 of 55
I had to laugh at the idea that traveling to pursue this hobby is somehow a negative. I've driven 12 hrs (round trip) to go to a Sterophile audio show, from Pittsburgh to Chicago for CES (consumer electronics show), hell, I drove 6 hrs to pick up my used Billy Bags rack! I could go on and on. I must be nuts 'cause I considered it tons of fun!!

Each to his own but I don't mind driving either.  Though, not as crazy as you.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 55
I'm starting to realize how lucky I got with this apartment. I happen to live on the bottom floor at the last unit at the end, and my bedroom where my speakers are set up is a room at the corner of the building, with the rest of my apartment in between my bedroom and the other units of the apartment. Of course there's a unit above me, but I think soundproofing is better between floors than walls.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #45 of 55
  To an extent..., I agree with you but if something sounds like "crap to one person", the chance it sounds like the best thing ever happened since sliced bread for someone else is very small.  Stop exaggerating to the extreme and yes, it's a subjective hobby but there is still right and wrong when it comes to certain things/aspects.  It's like saying "I only have $100 to buy a pair of HPs and to me it's the best thing...Your HD800 sounds like crap".  Finally, just like a..hole, everyone has one and entitled to it.

I mentioned earlier that the more you listen to high end equipment the more you learn to hear. As in astronomy, the more time you spend looking through a telescope, the more you are able to see. It's a learned skill & the same is true in audio. It's evident when you have one person listening to a stereo at a loud level & enjoying the immersion into the music & another comes by & just hears very loud music. The one enjoying the music doesn't think it is loud at all. People "listen" differently. Inexperienced or uninitiated listeners often don't perceive things like soundstage & imaging until these things are pointed out to them. Then they learn to listen with different ears & start to hear subtleties in the music that were beyond their ability to perceive previously. For the most part, we are not comparing equipment that sounds like "crap" to a wire with gain. Most of the moderately priced equipment available sounds decent at least & can be very entertaining within it's limited abilities. It's when you become accustomed to large doses of high quality music reproduction that you become hopelessly addicted to the pursuit of just-that-little-bit-more improvement. Learning to "hear" what a fine stereo has to offer is what it's all about & it's not just about the components that you choose. 
Cheers,
kev  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back