100+ Head-Fier
So a little background.

My dorm room has the following noise/sound producing devices:

Axiom speakers:

M22's bookshelf mains (2x5.25" drivers)
VP100 center
QS4 surrounds

HSU STF-2 Subwoofer

Now, noticing that any speaker lover gets sentenced to death on these boards, I don't know how many of you know about the speakers I have. Anyways, the M22's are very forward sounding speakers. They are also very neutral speakers with a flat response down to about 90 Hz. I have my sub crossed over at 80 Hz.

I sit about 3-4 feet around from the speakers.

My set up: Yamaha RX-V557 with direct SPDI/F from computer. All music in lossless format. Headphones plugged right into the reciever.

So, after listening to the 595's and letting my brain adjust to listening and picking out their sound signature, I'm really appreciating their sound. If I were to pick a couple words about the midrange they would be: rich and liquid. These are very plesent sounding mids. If I do a switch back and forth between my mains, it sounds pretty similar. Actually, the Senns sound VERY much like a speaker set up. When I first got them I thought my speakers were on. Actually, sometimes I have put my senns on, forgotten to plug them in, and have listened to my speakers for a little bit and didn't notice the difference for a few seconds. Anyways, the Senn's definately have a warm sound to them. The axioms have more of a forward "cold" sound.

What's the difference? In electric guitars and midrange music, I would say my Axioms give a very "how it is" sort of sound. Senns give it a sort of "glowing" sound, which is a very nice alternative.

Highs. The Senns have a very graceful way of articulating the high sounds. Plenty of articulation here, but not overdone. After listening to my friends SR80's for about 5 minutes after listening to my 595's. All I could think was: "Holy crap, these highs suck....ouch...is that my eardrum cracking!?!".

Compaired to the 595's, the SR80's highs sound like they are going to break open a crack on a frozen over lake only have fire spew up from under these cracks and rain down on unsuspecting beholders. Each time a cymbol struck it was like a figernail was taking a scratch and swipe at my eardrum. But you guys knew that already. While I'm at it, what I also noticed swapping the SR80's with the 595's, it's like the midrange of the SR80's were completely gone, only leaving the kind-of-bass and the highs left over.

Back to the 595's highs. Very articulate and accurate. They layer themselves in the soundstage, separating the instruments and vocals around my ears. Very nice encompasing sound.

Now the most "debated" or whatever side of the 595's, the Bass. The bass is laid back. The only thing in my opinion that is missing is lower extension. I have huge doubts any headphone (even beyers) can get the extension of bass I'm used to from a subwoofer. My favorite bass lines in some rap and techno music were almost non existent on the 595's. However, these bass frequencies are very low, probably in the 40-60 range I am guessing. Looking at many headphone graphs, it doesn't look like many get down to that range. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the bass that is there is very textured and pleasent. I tell you, I'd rather have bass that I have to listen for and pick out than bass that overpowers the sound of the music. The 595's bass to me was textured and quick. The bass from the kick drum pairs very well with its higher frequency counterpart to give it a punchy sound. To me, I wish this sound was a little more punchy, but I am always trying to listen for that punchy sound with the 595's, so I guess they keep me coming back wanting more, which is good I think.

A +2 db boost on the bass on my reciever really brings out the bass on the Senns. That's all they need.

Yea, and these things are super comfortable.

That's my review. Thanks for reading.

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 16
Ditto on most of your comments. The bass is mostly fine, but on rare occasions I do wish there was more slam. I'll never understand when people say they are "muffled"

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 16
I found the comment on Grado quite wierd. No mids? Grados are nothing but mids cuz their soundsignature is almost equalised to reverse-curve "V". They are bright, yes, especially if your ears are adjusted to Sennheisers. I wonder what EQ settings you used. Might be bad synergy with amp aswell, dunno.

For my ears HD595 was muffled for my ears. When i compared HD595 and SR225, SR-225 was superior in about every way except soundstage was too small. I have been in couple of classical concerts and my friend played in rock band and i have been listening many times when they jammed around. Grado sounded much more realistic to real sounds of instruments than Senns. Senns were too warm and soft.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Wow! Nice review Dan! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new cans! I was curious as to how they would match up to your Axioms. I know I'm very happy with how my MS2i matches my M50s but I was wondering how the Senns related since other folks have been talking of the 595s quite a bit, and now I have an idea of what they sound like.

Cool!
Rich.

...yeah, interesting comments on Grados indeed!

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by undeRdEFonE
Are your 595's burned in ? Cause they perform better after burning in

Sorry, I don't believe in burn in. But, I'll take your word for it. :)

Try this: EQ your phones ever so slightly with a random arrangment of levels. Your ears will learn to pick up the sounds and get "used" to that EQ setting. Break in? No. Mental flexability? Yes.

But seriously, after a month I should probably be enjoying them more.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
I found the comment on Grado quite wierd. No mids? Grados are nothing but mids cuz their soundsignature is almost equalised to reverse-curve "V". They are bright, yes, especially if your ears are adjusted to Sennheisers. I wonder what EQ settings you used. Might be bad synergy with amp aswell, dunno.

For my ears HD595 was muffled for my ears. When i compared HD595 and SR225, SR-225 was superior in about every way except soundstage was too small. I have been in couple of classical concerts and my friend played in rock band and i have been listening many times when they jammed around. Grado sounded much more realistic to real sounds of instruments than Senns. Senns were too warm and soft.

No EQ settings.

I really couldn't believe it that much either, but I switched right back and forth. The SR80s just had a lack of mids. Sure, they might be further back, but the bass and especially the trebel were really high compare.

What confuses me is...I have very, very forward speakers. Switching back and forth didn't make the senns sound "laid back" at all. Oh well.

Everyone has a different pair of ears. I enjoy them.
580smile.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 16
I must buy that new HD595 already...

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7
No EQ settings.

I really couldn't believe it that much either, but I switched right back and forth. The SR80s just had a lack of mids. Sure, they might be further back, but the bass and especially the trebel were really high compare.

What confuses me is...I have very, very forward speakers. Switching back and forth didn't make the senns sound "laid back" at all. Oh well.

Everyone has a different pair of ears. I enjoy them.
580smile.gif

VERY wierd!
blink.gif
Grados are harsh i admit, especially if one isnt used to their sound, but all grados i know have huge spikes in midrange that gives, for example, electric guitars a very vibrant and alive sound. Very forward midrange is Grados speciality aswell.
blink.gif
Did he use original bowl pads, not flats?

Quite a mystery. Perhaps they were faulty, or perhaps your amp just had bad synergy with headphones, who knows.

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
VERY wierd!
blink.gif
Grados are harsh i admit, especially if one isnt used to their sound, but all grados i know have huge spikes in midrange that gives, for example, electric guitars a very vibrant and alive sound. Very forward midrange is Grados speciality aswell.
blink.gif
Did he use original bowl pads, not flats?

Quite a mystery. Perhaps they were faulty, or perhaps your amp just had bad synergy with headphones, who knows.

Another thing, you have SR225's. I have huge faith that they sound leaps and bounds better than the SR80's.

Bowl pads and all.

It might have been the warmness of the 595's that made me think that the SR80's had no mids. However...what really really stood out was the tinny highs. They are just sooo unrealistic and sharp.

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Perhaps they were faulty, or perhaps your amp just had bad synergy with headphones, who knows.

This is what I’m beginning to think. I find it very odd the Grado's are perceived as having laid back mids. I have the SR 60's and find just the opposite. I also have an idea of what kind of sound Dans speakers have, I have the same brand but a different model with the same sound signature. Very odd indeed.

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Not perhaps leaps, but SR225 is the sweet spot in Grado line and better than SR80. SR80 isnt considered good Grado anyway since SR60 offers better value for money. Still, all grados have similar basic soundsignature.

And yes, Grados tend to sound bit tinny on some music cuz they are not good at soft bass-sounds. They are practically made for rocking, especially hard rocking where there are no soft bass: Tight kicking bass drum and picking and grunting of bass guitars, not to mention vibrant overdriven electric guitars.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 16
I just love the warm and fuzzy sound.
580smile.gif

Makes me feel happy. I like that about these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back