A good year in rock music: 1991....pick your favorite album
Nov 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #76 of 96
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life...
p.tree is just so much more of an interesting band than any of these others.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life...
p.tree is just so much more of an interesting band than any of these others.

This^

I forgot about this one. Thanks for reminding me.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #78 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Other) Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

Yeah, I was surprised that this wasn't on the list. I voted for _Loveless_ but listen to this at least as much.

And another shout-out to the one or two who mentioned Smashing Pumpkins' _Gish_, which is a stunning first effort.

Yikes! And another thing, Dinosaur Jr.'s 1991 _Green Mind_.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #80 of 96
I guess I don't really like 90's rock at all. Can't find any on the online lists I found that I'm that into. But I'd have to say Radiohead, Flaming Lips, and Phish. I don't listen to Phish anymore, as they're a bit washed up thinking they're singer/songwriters and all. But in their day, they were fantastic.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #83 of 96
I notice the bias for male 'rock' singers in the posts and choices here.

My favourite stand out 1991 rock album is "Cruel Inventions: by Sam Phillips:

41J4R7KB6CL._SS500_.jpg

Completely original - nothing before in rock music had ever sounded like it. Marc Ribot's incredible twangy guitars and Sandy Bull's contributions along with Van Dyke Parks and Jerry Scheff made this album one of the stellar and most impressive ever assembled cast of artists who worked to produce a sound of spectacular coherence. Even Rolling Stone Magazine eventually caught on and voted Sam Phillips' the Best Female Vocalist of the Year and her album as one of the best releases of the year. Her collaboration with T Bone Burnett spawned a whole generation of pitter-patter catchy rock with a philosophical twist in one's poetic muse. Suzanne Vega's '99 degrees Fahrenheit and countless other female artists started the same trend in search of that iconic Sam Phillips sound.

Amazing listening to this album 18 years on: unlike formula rock of the 90's her sound is still as fresh and original......and that killer voice.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #85 of 96
Three of those stand out to me -- Loveless, Laughing Stock, and Achtung Baby. Of the three, I go back to Laughing Stock the most -- not only was it genre-defining (with Spirit of Eden, of course), it's still one of the best examples of that genre as well.

And I have waxed poetic many a time about Loveless -- it's just such a unique album -- Kevin took some of the most unlistenable snippets of guitar noise and looped them and made you listen to them until you heard the beauty in it that he heard. It's not just shoegaze, it's on another plane entirely -- by itself, unfortunately.

Achtung Baby sort of hits me the same way indian summer does -- it's that last bit of brilliance from a band that left me cold a long time ago (Rattle and Hum). So holistic in its production, songs range from their best ("One") to only above average (e.g. "The Fly") -- yet still sounds great within the context of the album.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #86 of 96
I was born in 1988 so I was too young to actually be a part of 1991, but Achtung Baby blew my mind in high school! I thought that whole album was great, well, except for Love Is Blindness. One was obviously incredible, but I thought the best ones were the weirder songs like Mysterious Ways and The Fly. Ultraviolet lacked impact on the album, but sounds great live.

I have to disagree with Dusty, though. I felt that All You Can't Leave Behind was sort of U2's last hurrah. Achtung Baby was a transformative album that led to the--IMHO--awesome Zooropa and Pop albums.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #87 of 96
What? No, I was saying that Achtung Baby was U2's last hoorah. I pretty much didn't like anything that came after it, neither (in addition to Rattle and Hum).

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #88 of 96
I'm trying to rack over my brain right now but the first thing that is coming to me right now is the Telescopes 12" for their song Flying. Seriously,I could listen to that song for ages and ages. It is very much one of the shining moments for the shoegaze genre. The sheer wall of sound along with the great bass line and Joanna Doran's vocals are really quite heavenly.

I have to say,I like Loveless but I think the recording quality of it was pretty subpar even though something like 160,000-250,000GBP was apparently spent on the album though those figures are constantly disputed. I would have thought with all of those studios they were hopping around to that they'd find one that would offer them good sound quality.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #89 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough call. I picked BSSM. For me Blood Sugar is THE album to pick for RHCP while the others have had other albums that are comparable or better than the ones listed. Oh and its also the best sounding album of the bunch, I go "WOW" everytime I listen to that album. So that kinda made my vote slightly biased.

Ten is probably the closest second although I'd vote for that as well if I could vote for 2 albums instead of 1.

Nevermind is a crucial album in music history, and so is Black album but both artists have had better albums before or after IMO.

Funny someone mentioned Out of Time as well, cos that shouldve been on the list for sure.

Oh and also worth noting is how one of the best metal albums out there missed 91 by 2 months, coming out in Feb 92. "Vulgar Display of Power " by Pantera. Wouldve made this an even tougher decision to make had it come out 2 months earlier.

Everything he said x2.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back