A good year in rock music: 1991....pick your favorite album
Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #33 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oasis best rock band of the 90's

I LOLed. Hard. Very hard. Lets look at Oasis vs REM (nevermind any other bands into the bargain).

1990: ______________ : ______________
1991: ______________ : Out of Time
1992: ______________ : Automatic for the People
1993: ______________ : ______________
1994: Definitely Maybe : Monster (Monster is better)
1995: Morning Glory? : ______________
1996: ______________ : New Adventures in Hi-Fi
1997: Be Here Now : ______________
1998: ______________ : Up
1999: ______________ : ______________

Be Here Now is rubbish.
Definately maybe is okay.
Morning Glory is awesome, but sounds like **** and isn't as good as Monster anyway.

Nuff said.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #34 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I LOLed. Hard. Very hard. Lets look at Oasis vs REM (nevermind any other bands into the bargain).

1990: ______________ : ______________
1991: ______________ : Out of Time
1992: ______________ : Automatic for the People
1993: ______________ : ______________
1994: Definitely Maybe : Monster (Monster is better)
1995: Morning Glory? : ______________
1996: ______________ : New Adventures in Hi-Fi
1997: Be Here Now : ______________
1998: ______________ : Up
1999: ______________ : ______________

Be Here Now is rubbish.
Definately maybe is okay.
Morning Glory is awesome, but sounds like **** and isn't as good as Monster anyway.

Nuff said.

Do I get a special prize for thinking Oasis is overrated and REM is hopelessly boring? I saw REM live, and I walked out... I am not kidding.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #35 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I get a special prize for thinking Oasis is overrated and REM is hopelessly boring? I saw REM live, and I walked out... I am not kidding.

No.

But substitute who you like. RHCP?

Hell Muse and Pink floyd only managed 1 album each during the 90s and they're both better than Oasis in contenders for 90s glory.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #36 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind changed rock history. None of the other albums on that list can claim that.

Loveless might. It influenced a lot of artists, including Radiohead as probably the most obvious, but also Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, even U2, not to mention basically the entire shoegazer genre.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #37 of 96
Quote:

No.

But substitute who you like. RHCP?

Not a fan of RHCP. Personally, I'd take Ten and Vs. over just about any mainstream band's releases during the 90's. It's just an opinion, like all here, but my last post was more of a wondering aloud about why Oasis and REM were/are so popular. I do not get it.

Quote:

Hell Muse and Pink floyd only managed 1 album each during the 90s and they're both better than Oasis in contenders for 90s glory.

As a big fan of The Division Bell, I totally agree.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #38 of 96
Out of Time was definitely a beloved album and topped the polls that year. I believe it should be on your list and not relegated to "Other" personally. However, it is not my pick. That would be:

Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91: The Empire Strikes Black

And yes, I define "rock" very broadly. If that doesn't fit in your criteria, then I pick Out of Time.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #39 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between, Nevermind, Spiderland, and Loveless, it was a super tough choice. I chose Loveless though.

this.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #40 of 96
I'm going with Badmotorfinger. Close call though, I could have gone with Metallica's black album. A good amount of Soundgarden was in my playlist during my formative years of music appreciation..."Outshined", "Jesus Christ Pose", "Slaves and Bulldozers" were all classics.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #41 of 96
Loveless I think is my favorite from the ones on the list, but Nevermind is important (and great). Laughing Stock is no slouch in the quality stakes either - the rest I really don't care for.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #43 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loveless might. It influenced a lot of artists, including Radiohead as probably the most obvious, but also Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, even U2, not to mention basically the entire shoegazer genre.

no.
loveless is a (fine, but still) rehash of the brilliant 'isn't anything' that came out three years earlier.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #44 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no.
loveless is a (fine, but still) rehash of the brilliant 'isn't anything' that came out three years earlier.

hahaha, well maybe an extension, refinement and amplification rather than a "rehash."
wink.gif

But are you saying Loveless didn't have a major influence? Isn't anything might have set shoegaze in motion, influencing bands who would then come to be in that genre. But Loveless went much further than that, and influenced artists who aren't normally associated with "shoegaze," both musically, but also maybe even more so for production.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #45 of 96
Quote:

I'm going with Badmotorfinger

I wouldve gone with that as well if it weren't for Superunknown which is a vastly superior and more consistent album. Chris Cornell was in phenomenal form in Badmotorfinger however.

As for Oasis and REM, REM can get boring real fast, a lot of their stuff sound very similar, and the vocal melodies especially end up sounding very monotonous. But Out of Time was a stand out album. Not sure about Monster though.

Oasis on the other hand have had their fair share of really good songs, but never albums IMO, they have some stand out pop anthems and rock n roll music but their albums are never consistent all the way through IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back