A good tube amp for Grado PS500
Apr 26, 2016 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yurivv

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I have a system that consists of Chord Mojo and Grado PS500 headphones. I would say I’m pretty satisfied with the sound quality and find my listening experience truly magnificent. That said, I wouldn’t mind running some experiments and taking it up to the next level (if there is one) and for that reason I’m looking for a suitable tube amplifier. My possible expenses are limited by the $600 notch. I currently have the following amplifiers in view:

Little Dot Mk9

Line Magnetic mini 218 IA

I can get these easily.

I would like to get some feedback about whether these are a good match for my Grados or whether I should probably start looking for something else. In my case an amplifier must be designed to use the voltage of 220 - 240 volts, which narrows down the list of those that would suit me. Thank you.

P.S. I have heard all sorts of good things about Mappletree Ear+ HD, but it’s rather costly. Do you think it’s worth paying 1.5 times the price of either LM or LD?

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like the Project Ember Tube Rolling thread might be right.  I love my Ember and the tube rolling can be satisfying.  I use it with my HD650 and Ether C.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Demo3,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it. But I'm already starting to feel that's a good match for me and just great in terms of the price.

It would be awesome to hear some other opinions as well. C'mon, people, you do know/have a great tube amp or two so spill it out, please! :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Not sure if it is worth the 1.5 times the price...but the Mad Ear is wonderful with Grados....I used it with the RS1 headphone and the combo was fantastic.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi have you heard a tube amp before most tube amps will kill the grado's detail and attack making them sound a bit flat.I have grado sr80i and ps1000e I think you will be better with a solid state amp class A is best.check this review out on what hifi lehmann audio black cube linear class A sounds amazing with grado's. £614 pounds. What hi fi gave it 5 stars.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Best amps for grado's are Lehman black cube linear graham slee solo ultra linear sugden masterclass ha4 oppo ha1 Lehman rhinelander project headbox s I have heard all the amps with grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back