A good starter can
Dec 9, 2007 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Hoeboe2k

100+ Head-Fier
I've had two IEMs. One was the Etymotic ER-6i but the the plug shorted out constantly and so I got the Super.fi 5 Pros because I wanted to try something new. I still appreciate the Er-6i more, not saying I don't like the Super.fi's but I enjoyed the clarity of ER-6i which probably tells you guys I don't need much bass to keep me happy (although I would like more bass than the ER-6i put out).

Well, so I was looking at a few cans and the SR-60 caught my eye. It's cheap and the reviews are good for a can under 100. I was also thinking SR-80 but I heard it's better to just save your money and go for a SR-225 if you're going to do that. I was looking at the Sony 7506 but there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews about the sound, which is the most important to me. I was really desiring to get the Audio Technica AD-900 but I don't have the cash to buy something like that now

So my question is what other cans are good for about a $100 and under? I highly rate clarity and would like some bass but that's not a necessity. I've heard my friend's HD212 and it sounds like mud and tin at the same time. I enjoy the ER-6i but would like more bass and the super.fi is a bit bassier but a tad too muddy. I listen to occasional piano, jazz (not smooth), r&b, little hip hop, and rock (indy mostly). I would like something circum-aural but I know at this price range, most of the good headphones are supra-aural. Needs to not have a crazy high impedance rating because I am going to plug these directly into my laptop for now.

So please add to my list
SR-60
PX-100
AKG K 240 S

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 21
Maybe the Alessandro MS-1, they can be had for exactly $99 and free shipping all over the world. I think they are supposed to be the more "analytical version" of the grado line up. The grado sr 60s are more in your face, great for rock.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm in a similar boat as you, not sure what I'm going with.

Equation Audio RP21 - 80 on amazon
Sennheiser HD280Pro - 80 on amazon
denon ah-d1000 - 100 on amazon
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 - 90 on audiocubes
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 (more portable) - 99 on amazon

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 21
The SR-80s are a terrific set of cans...fun, engaging, impactful, and lively. IMO, they are a step up from the SR-60s because the bowls sound that much better than the comfies. You can get the SR-80s for around $75 with a first time buyer's discount from TTVJ.com

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-80s are a terrific set of cans...fun, engaging, impactful, and lively. IMO, they are a step up from the SR-60s because the bowls sound that much better than the comfies. You can get the SR-80s for around $75 with a first time buyer's discount from TTVJ.com

Great advice. Go Grado and be corrupted for life. Do it now and thank us later.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great advice. Go Grado and be corrupted for life. Do it now and thank us later.

Haha, I totally want to. But the fact that Grados are "fun" makes me worried. I have the super.fi 5 pros and they're described as "fun" and I don't exactly like the sound of them cause they don't seem to have the clarity as ER-6i's which has a sound more favorable to me. I just want the ER-6i's just to have more bass which is the only thing I would complain about and do like about the super.fi's.

Basically are Grado's clear? The super.fi's sound muddy cause the bass doesn't seem too well controlled. If the Grado's bass muddies the sound I am guessing Alessandro's are what I'm looking for. Haha but at the same time I don't want to not have bass. I hope someone feels where I'm at.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Keep them coming. Seems like there's a lotta Grado heads and that Grado is the way to go for headphones about 100 and under. I hope something out there will really speak to me like Grado's do for some of you guys!

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 21
I chose the AKG K701s as my first can and have absolutely no regrets (Sept that I waited this long to get a amp).

But then again, it's a demanding phone that is more neutral than fun. I suggest a Grado if your looking for a good music phone that does not need significant ampage, or Senns if you have a budget for amp.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 21
i also prefer the ER6 to the SF5P. the SF5P was a big let down with its muddy presentation and muted highs. either the SR60 or MS1 are a great value for their price but i would suggest the MS1 over the SR60. the MS1 are typically compared to SR125, which is more expensive.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 21
MDR SA1000 look REAL crazy. Wow. Well I don't know about Sony's, are they really good? Cause the other Sony models in this price range I know aren't too good but I'll give them a check cause they are circum-aural.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the Alessandro MS-1, they can be had for exactly $99 and free shipping all over the world. I think they are supposed to be the more "analytical version" of the grado line up. The grado sr 60s are more in your face, great for rock.

I agree that Grado's are a good choice for under $100 phones.

My MS-1 are fairly good when I compared them to my RS-2 when they still had the stock cable. MS-1 don't keep up with the RS-2, with less bass and more grainyness, but they are less in your face than the SR-60. I felt they are smoother and more balanced than the SR-60 or SR-80, but with a tad less bass than SR-80 when both are used with Bowls. I use the stock pads or Headphile C-pads with rock, and the bowl pads with jazz.

My order of Grado preference from low to high, from (what I have heard) is to start with the iGrado for a more balanced sound if your goal is under $50 (with burn in the highs mellowed out significantly and might need a dime sized hole cut in the foam). The next step up being the MS-1 for $99, the SR-225 are the next ones I'd consider (great bass, crisp highs), and the RS-2 another step up (great bass, smooth balanced sound). The 325i are the only ones below RS-2 that I haven't heard, but they are out of your price range anyway.

I've seen SR-225 for as low as $140 used, and $175 new (ttvj.com). If that is too much of a stretch, then do the MS-1. I'd say the MS-1 are a notch above the Senn PX100, and the PX100 are tied with iGrado for price and sound quality (sometimes I like PX100 more, sometimes iGrado more).

With bowl pads, the MS-1 are VERY similar to the ER6i.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 21
I'd go with the Grado SR-60. Excellent entry point and while "fun," are more serious thn you probably expect. I've enjoyed jazz and classical on them, even.

You might also want to check out the Sony MDR-V6. I had a pair for years and still think they're pretty good. But the Grado is more fun.

I haven't heard the Sony MDR-SA1000, but the form factor is almost exactly the same as the MDR-SA5000. It is comfortable and I really like it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 21
So thanks guys. I feel like it's really between the MS-1, SR-80, and the SR-60 and possibly the Sony's. I have never ever heard an open headphone though which really makes me want to buy the Grado's over the Sonys.

So the SR-60's are serious but colored and fun. And the alessandro's sound like my er-6i's? I love my er6's but I do want a wee tad little more bass which kind of makes me want to try the SR-60's. I also don't want to just have the same earphone in headphone form unless it actually does sound different. I just wish the ER6's bass went lower. It seems so shallow.

Also I found I do like having a good sound imaging and soundscape. Does any of these have a good sound scape/image?

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 21
So I listened to the Sony V6 and were not very impressed. So I guess it's between the MS-1 and SR60. Which of these has better sound imaging? And is the MS-1 really as absent in bass as the ER-6i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back