A good pair of over-ear HPs under $200 to last me 5-10 years?
Nov 6, 2011 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

aman1420

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
I'm currently in high school (I'm graduating this year) and looking for a great set of headphones to last me through college and beyond.
I've done some research, and the general consensus is that the ATH-M50 and DT770 are the two best pairs to be had under $200.
With that said, I ended up buying the ATH-M50 a day or two ago. They're the best headphones I've ever used, and I think they're fantastic overall. However, I would really, REALLY appreciate it if some of you could give me a few alternatives to look at before I make this purchase final. So, here's what I'm looking for:

-Closed-back
-Over-ear
-Fairly portable
-A decent level of comfort for moderately long listening sessions
-A great MIDRANGE. I"m not a basshead, and as long as the highs are good enough, I'm fine; however, I would really appreciate a solid midrange with lots of detail and warmth, as well
-On a side note, I've read that the ATH-M50 has recessed mids. Could anyone clarify this for me?
-I listen to lots of rock, orchestra music, piano music, and more rock
-Remember, these are going to be my only pair of HPs for the next 5-10 years, so please, recommend wisely!

Thanks again everyone!

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 21
I'd recommend the KRK KNS-8400s.  Closed, circumaural, portable, very comfortable (memory foam ear cushions), and long-lasting (replaceable cushions, headband and cable).  ~$120.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 21
Yes it's true, they do sound recessed at times, with rock it's particularly apparent when I switch between
my SR80i's and the M50's ~ the mids sound a little diluted and guitar work lacks attack.

All things considered though, they're a great package and I note that you want 'durability'

In that sense they're almost peerless.

If someone asked me to replace them with something equally robust yet was a superior
headphone sonically ~ I'd scrimp and save to get a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT1350's.

They're sensational ~ but they're not all that cheap and they do really sing on a small
portable amp like the Fiio E11.

They were designed for TV and radio men on the go so durability is tops.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 21
MalVeauX - I managed to find the D2000 for $250.00 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Denon-AH-D2000-Stereo-Over-Ear-Headphones-AHD-2000-/280696619461#vi-content), however the cable looks like it's going to be pretty long. Is there any way to switch the cable out/make it more manageable?
I can't seem to find the FA-003 for sale anywhere...
The Shures look pretty decent, I'm considering them.

Gwarmi - Though the DT1350s look pretty great, I'm looking for over-ear HPs, not on-ear :p

Marximus - In terms of audio quality, are they better than the ATH-M50? If they are, then they're definitely the best choice in terms of durability/longevity. Decisions, decisions...

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 21
EDIT: Alright, I'm willing to go up to $250 on these, but no more!
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 21
Denon D2000 is a great can but I do think it's a little risky to recommend them as
a 'daily basher' if you're walking around the place, this is what can happen :-

The headband assembly fails, it appears to be a fairly isolated issue
but it does happen ~ 

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Denon D2000 is a great can but I do think it's a little risky to recommend them as
a 'daily basher' if you're walking around the place, this is what can happen :-

The headband assembly fails, it appears to be a fairly isolated issue
but it does happen ~ 

The D2000's are not going to fall apart on your head unless you throw them under the buss. Isolated incidents should not be a warning. Might as well warn that there are fakes too.

Very best,

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 21
So, it looks like it's come down to the D2000 vs. what I currently have (the ATH-M50)...
I suppose I'll just write a small list of what I want to be compared (just copy, write in which HP you think is better in that particular category, and post):

Durability/quality of materials:
Comfort:
Longevity (different than durability in regard to the drivers themselves, or something like that...):
Overall audio quality:
MIDRANGE audio quality:
Portability:
Bang-for-the-buck (D2000 @ $250 vs. ATH-M50 @ $170):
Parts replaceability:
Any coloration/orientation issues:
Comments, etc.:

Still open to other suggestions!

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

The D2000's are not going to fall apart on your head unless you throw them under the buss. Isolated incidents should not be a warning. Might as well warn that there are fakes too.

Very best,

Fair enough Malveaux

There are certainly quite a few out there, my point was not terribly relevant I guess to anyone living in the US or other countries where Denon have a
HQ but every now and then we do get a Head-Fier on here from a non-friendly headphone country that wants the D2000.

Given the worst case scenario for them, they'd be left stranded, it would be no different for any Aussie out here with Grado who tries to be clever by avoiding
the official distributor.

Here's my two cents anyway

Durability:- If they don't leave the room and handled appropriately it's a draw. If you're going to go skydiving then it's the M50.
Comfort:- easy win for the Denon
Longevity:- Tough call, I'm yet to monitor a pair for more than 2 years. No answer
Midrange:- The Denon, although both are not absolutely stellar in this respect
Portability:- M50 is smaller, folds and comes with a carry bag. M50
Bang for your buck:- I'd choose the Denon for my needs and I would pamper it if I left the house
Parts & Service:- Denon are reportedly good, M50's never break in my experience so cannot comment further
Coloration & Comments :- Neither are absolutely flat and neutral, both are bass boosted but I prefer the Denon 

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 21
Did a bit more research and found out that the D2000 is bass-oriented, which isn't what I'm looking for. Also, a few users stated that the M50 is better unamped.
So, it looks like I'm still sticking with the M50 at the moment.
Still open to suggestions, though!!

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Did a bit more research and found out that the D2000 is bass-oriented, which isn't what I'm looking for. Also, a few users stated that the M50 is better unamped.
So, it looks like I'm still sticking with the M50 at the moment.
Still open to suggestions, though!!

The D2000 is not bass-oriented. It's flat from the mids down to 30hz. That's not bass oriented. That's flat neutral. The M50 on the other hand is bass-oriented. A few users who think the M50 sounds better unamped than a D2000 have likely not heard a D2000 or are just trying to justify their purchase of the M50. Or maybe they truly did like it better. But the key word is "few" people.

So get the M50. Enjoy it. Then spend a lot more later when you realize you'll want to upgrade the next day.

Very best,

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
The D2000 is not bass-oriented. It's flat from the mids down to 30hz. That's not bass oriented. That's flat neutral. The M50 on the other hand is bass-oriented. A few users who think the M50 sounds better unamped than a D2000 have likely not heard a D2000 or are just trying to justify their purchase of the M50. Or maybe they truly did like it better. But the key word is "few" people.

So get the M50. Enjoy it. Then spend a lot more later when you realize you'll want to upgrade the next day.

Very best,

From my experience, I do detect a pretty noticeable sub-bass boost, as well as a slightly recessed midrange similar to the M50. Not what I'd call flat neutral, but it comes slightly close. M50 still has more bass volume though. Musicality and detail on the other hand is a completely different area.

And please, Mal, don't go all Nazi on the M50 just because YOU don't like them. Some of us actually "like" its sound. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back