A good iem or a pair of them under $2000?
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

M2IN

New Head-Fier
Hello, first of all I’m new to this hobby but I have done a lot of research for the past few month but didn’t really bought something yet so no real life experience.
I need help on what to choose to maximize the value I can get at around $2000 USD, I want a TOTL iem or a set of them that are TOTL in there on respective categories that can let me graduate from this hobby before it gets even more expensive, I’ve been thinking about getting both ThieAudio monarch mk3 and the ThieAudio prestige ltd, is the difference big enough to justify it? Or does it sound to similar to buy both pair?
Another pair would be AuR audio Ascension (how would this compare with the mmk3 and lit online) and Sony iem z1r (second hand)(how would this compare with the mmk3 and lit online)
Any response will be appreciated especially if you have any experience with any of these iem, thank you <3

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd suggest starting lower and moving up. Research is great but it'll only take you so far.

Very good iems can be had cheap, I just picked up the Simgot EA500 LM. While it's not an endgame, it does a lot well for something under $100.

When you know what you like and don't like, recommendations will be easier.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 12
funny, I'm also relatively new and researching a lot and only have very little real-life experience, but I recently bought two iems ( Yanyin Moonlight and Moondrop variations) and still looking into the endgame territory. I have tried a few in person like the UM MEXT and Thieaudio Clairevoyance. Currently, I only have my Kinera Freya and I'm loving it (only for a few genres).

I'm considering these: UM MEST II, MEXT, Thieaudio Prestige LTD, elysian Annihilator or Diva, or even the Yanyin Moonlight Ultra.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd suggest starting lower and moving up. Research is great but it'll only take you so far.

Very good iems can be had cheap, I just picked up the Simgot EA500 LM. While it's not an endgame, it does a lot well for something under $100.

When you know what you like and don't like, recommendations will be easier.
I have had the em6l before and was looking at the ea500lm, the em6l was ok for me, I do like the detail that it has compared with my closed back headphone (dt700 pro x) but I feel like it lack the bass punch that I wanted, I listen to indie, rap, pop, soul, r&b, and don’t listen to a lot of classical, rock, country. I think I have a somewhat idea of what I want, that being having a detailed and punchy bass without sacrificing the details from the mids(vocal) and a wide soundstage, (so basically a slight u shape iem) that’s why I’m looking at the monarch mk3, AuR ascension, and the Dunu glacier right now, I heard they all are very good and can punch above their price range, and I also want another iem that sounds a bit different from the one that I’m going to chose so I can have some variety in my small collection (prestige Ltd or Z1R or other iem)

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 12
funny, I'm also relatively new and researching a lot and only have very little real-life experience, but I recently bought two iems ( Yanyin Moonlight and Moondrop variations) and still looking into the endgame territory. I have tried a few in person like the UM MEXT and Thieaudio Clairevoyance. Currently, I only have my Kinera Freya and I'm loving it (only for a few genres).

I'm considering these: UM MEST II, MEXT, Thieaudio Prestige LTD, elysian Annihilator or Diva, or even the Yanyin Moonlight Ultra.
I heard the MEST II is warmer compare to other iem and it has a unique sound to it, i found this video that compares the MEST II to some other iem if your interested
For the Elysian annihilator a person online told me (idk if this is real or not) that there is some QC problem with the new one that’s bending made, and he also told me that some people Singapore prefer the AuR ascension compared to it
Hope this helps!

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 12
The best higher priced IEMs was the Sennheiser IE600. Before spending the big dollars I would get the ridiculous low priced 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 to have a baseline to compare it to. The diminishing rate or returns gets brutal after $90.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 12
Hello, first of all I’m new to this hobby but I have done a lot of research for the past few month but didn’t really bought something yet so no real life experience.
I need help on what to choose to maximize the value I can get at around $2000 USD, I want a TOTL iem or a set of them that are TOTL in there on respective categories that can let me graduate from this hobby before it gets even more expensive, I’ve been thinking about getting both ThieAudio monarch mk3 and the ThieAudio prestige ltd, is the difference big enough to justify it? Or does it sound to similar to buy both pair?
Another pair would be AuR audio Ascension (how would this compare with the mmk3 and lit online) and Sony iem z1r (second hand)(how would this compare with the mmk3 and lit online)
Any response will be appreciated especially if you have any experience with any of these iem, thank you <3
There's a set of Campfire Audio Black Star for sale on the Classifieds right now, they're easily one of my favorite IEMs ever. Also, Custom Art Fibae 5 and Campfire Supermoon are great. If you want bass, the Bonneville are good. I'm sure there's a bunch more good ones I'm forgetting of here: https://bytes-bull.com/2023/02/01/headphone-rankings/ Just kind of start at the top and work your way down until you find something that meets your price range and audio preference.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 12
Monarch III and Z1R if you can squeeze them into $2000 would be my recommendation. Two flavours of sound, and both are excellent IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back