A good easily driven jazz/classical headphone
Nov 9, 2002 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
what would it be?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 21
Sennheiser HD 600 with (Cardas...) replacement cable. Great for jazz and classical... not extremely easy to drive, but no problem with passably powerful jacks/amps. Shines with good sources and amps.

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanx but I already new that the hd-600 was a highly recomended headphone for jazz. I was looking for other headphones even closed models that would be great for jazz

Nov 9, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 21
What other criteria do you have. Are you looking for lower cost? HD497 or may be a good choice in that case. If you're willing to spend more, the choice will open up some to include cans like Beyer DT250-80. Give us some more details of what you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get a multitude of choices.

Nov 9, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Audio Technica W1000 sounds right up your alley. These are perfect headphones for jazz and classical recordings. They are also easily driven, and closed

Nov 9, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 21
I was thinking of the Etymotic 4s. Great sound for jazz and classical.

What will you be using to drive them with?

Nov 10, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
Audio Technica W1000 sounds right up your alley. These are perfect headphones for jazz and classical recordings. They are also easily driven, and closed

umm..dohminator, do you mean the W100, or the new W1000? if you're talking about the W1000, it would be wierd to make that statement considering they aren't even out yet..

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 21
they are coming out. I would recommend the w100 if you aren't willing to wait.

All signs point to the w1000 being better though.

So when will the w1000 be out

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 21
I have seen various reporting on when the new 1000 series AT's will be out, most of them point to a date within the next two weeks. No one knows for sure, not even the sites like Audio Cubes. The retailers don't even know how much they'll sell for as of yet, but Kohn at Audio Cubes said that he'll release the info along with the ability to take pre-orders as soon as he gets the info on pricing. I am in line to get one of these new cans, but so far I haven't decided. I don't like the W series as the wood can sound different day-to-day depending upon environmental conditions and such. The titanium would remain pretty constant in its sound without influence from outside factors other than dropping it 3 stories onto concrete!!
biggrin.gif

Lord Bless

(Post #100!!! Made it without spending the retirement!! The entire retirement that is!!)

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
The retailers don't even know how much they'll sell for as of yet, but Kohn at Audio Cubes said that he'll release the info along with the ability to take pre-orders as soon as he gets the info on pricing.

really? hmm, very tempting..

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 21
Sounds like I won't be alone in line....

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 21
I wish I could get in line, but I don't want the hassle of selling my w100's and then buying these.

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 21
AT is keeping a tight lid on specifics of these new cans so far. From what little that I can read, which means the English portions on their web site, it looks very similar to the 100 series. The 53mm driver might even BE identical to the one in the W100?? Or maybe they tweaked the driver and/or enclosure to improve upon the sound now that the W100 proved to be so popular. Hopefully they release some info soon!!!

Lord Bless

Nov 10, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
AT is keeping a tight lid on specifics of these new cans so far. From what little that I can read, which means the English portions on their web site, it looks very similar to the 100 series. The 53mm driver might even BE identical to the one in the W100?? Or maybe they tweaked the driver and/or enclosure to improve upon the sound now that the W100 proved to be so popular. Hopefully they release some info soon!!!

Lord Bless

there's an english portion to the AT Japanese site? link!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back