A good (decent?) cd player with a small footprint?
Feb 10, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jo53mo
Forget to mention what type of cable should i get? Toslink or digitial optical with mini jacks? Thanks i kinda new to this cable stuff.
Joe

The 500 uses Toslink.....try the glass one's recommended in another thread. Low $20's on eBay... Rat Shack also has a plastic Toslink at around $15.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 61
Well, I went ahead and bit on this. Unit arrived, looks great. Hook it up, pop in a CD......

....no TOC. Double check the manual, all is set up correct. Pop in CD again, no TOC. Pop in second CD....no TOC. 3rd, 4th and 5th. Dang, I got a DOA unit! Sucks royally.

So I tak to J&R. They send me to Teac Help. No deal, it's a service center locator only. Call J&R back. Tell them they sent me to the wrong place, they gove me a different number. I ask, "And there will be people there to answer the phone?" "Yes."

No person there to answer the phone.

I call J&R AGAIN, ask for a supervisor/manager. I get someone who is helpful enough, giving me an RA# and an address to which to ship. I ask, since it's DOA, will I get re-imbursed for shipping? She than says she can send me out a UPS shipping label.

Uggh. I'll still shoot for a replacement, but I'm a little put off by the lack of Customer Service, and byt he fact that the Teac was not working out of the box (with no apparent shipping damage).

One more chance, it's returned for good if still problems.....

How is yours going, Doug?

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Well, I went ahead and bit on this. Unit arrived, looks great. Hook it up, pop in a CD......

....no TOC. Double check the manual, all is set up correct. Pop in CD again, no TOC. Pop in second CD....no TOC. 3rd, 4th and 5th. Dang, I got a DOA unit! Sucks royally. . .

How is yours going, Doug?

I hooked up my unit on my bedstand just using the regular included RCA cables, since I don't yet have a proper TOS link-to-mini optical cable for use with my DAC. It works great! I have no complaints. It came with no remote, but I have no real use for a remote with this kind of setup, anyway.

Sorry to hear about skullguise's dud. I'm sure J & R will do what's necessary to make it right. They are a big, low-overhead outfit and there likely will be some frustration here, but I've always had good dealings with them.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jo53mo
What is TOC?

TOC = table of contents. I believe this refers to the LED display that shows that there is a cd present, which track is playing, etc.

So far, I actually prefer the SQ of the TEAC run straight to my headphone amp over the previous setup I was using, a SlimX iMP-550 w/optical out connected to my Micro DAC and then to the headphone amp. The TEAC's output seems a little mellower than what I was getting previously.

Meanwhile, you can find a TOSLink to Mini optical cable on ebay. They're pretty cheap.

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #54 of 61
Skullguise, try this number for teac 1-323-726-0303. I already talked to a technician about what cable the 500 uses before i bought the unit. Just follow the menue when you call it will lead you to him.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #55 of 61
I've had my $80 TEAC PD-H500 up and running for a week or so now, and I've used it both directly hooked up to my Little More Power amp and via optical out to my Headroom Micro DAC (and then on to the amp). My verdict may be sacrilege, but I actually prefer the SQ of the TEAC hooked directly via RCA cables to the amp. The sound out of the Micro DAC seems colder and bit less focused to me. It could be that I just have a personal preference for the coloration that the "inferior" output of the TEAC itself provides--and if that's the case, so be it.

Now I have a $270 DAC all dressed up with noplace to go for the moment. I may move it to my computer, where I'm sure it would be useful in improving the output from my crappy Soundblaster sound card.

Let me add that I think the major reason the TEAC unit is being sold so cheaply is indeed that it's a kind of "orphan" from the overall mid-size rack system of which is is (or was) a part. There are a number of "play" functions that can't be accomplished without a remote, and the remote for the unit is unavailable. So one has to be happy with very basic "push the button and play the cd" functionality. Fortunately for me, this is quite satisfactory for my bedside needs.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #56 of 61
Thanks for the replies Doug. Glad you like the sound; I'll play mine standalone as well when it gets back, I can pump it through one of my other amps via analog out.

I picked up one of the eBay glass TosLink cables recommended here, looks like a nice cable. When my replacement Teac comes in, I'm looking forward to playing.

Too bad you can't get the remote anymore, though like you, I'm using it near the bed, so not a strong requirement.

Thanks again,

Todd.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 61
This is a nice player for the cheap money, but if you need coax, go elsewhere. It only has Toslink optical out (2 of them in fact).

For coax, they aren't the best transports by far, but those $30-40 small footprint DVD players (Polaroid, Cyberhome, etc.) do OK for cheap $. I used one for a while with my Lavry DAC, and it was pretty good. The Teac with optical, and a Sony NS-500V with coax out both beat this DVD player, but it was still musical for the $40 I spent on it eons ago.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #60 of 61
Here's an interesting CDP from Denon, available from Audiocubes: Denon DCD-F101. It's actually part of a mini hi-fi system, the Denon D-F101S, but I like the look of it nonetheless. Plus it's small!

However, it's only available at Audiocubes for $200+$35 ship from Japan. The mini hi-fi system itself is about $600-$700 in the USA, and no one seems to sell the CDP by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back