A good (decent?) cd player with a small footprint?
Jan 12, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 61
Ok. My understanding is that if I were to spend $299 minus the Head-Fi discount to get a Micro DAC, it would boost the signal into my Little More Power amplifier and provide me both better and "bigger" sound. Since people tell me that "for the money" the Little is really a decent "little" amp, I am thinking maybe this is a cheap solution for me without having to spend a lot of money.

Am I wrong? If anyone feels strongly that I am, please tell me now before I part with hard-earned $$$.
Doug

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 61
I have never heard the "little" so I don't don't know how much of an improvement this will yield in terms of volume. But in terms of quality it should improve quite a bit. A DAC is what changes the digital signal from your pcdp into an analogue signal. Then the amp amplifies that analogue signal. All digital players have a built in DAC. The advantage of an external DAC is that being a dedicated component, it does a much better of converting the signal - so the quality going to the amp is much better.

The best solution would be to sell the "little" and buy the Micro DAC & Micro AMP by headroom. These are meant to be paired together & from all accounts sound great. But you should hear a good improvement with the DAC added to your pcdp. But I don't know if will give you the improvement in volume that you are looking for if you are not getting it with your "little" now. You could also ask the same question at Headroom. I would think they would give you an honest opinon & they do have a 30 day return policy so if doesn't give you what you want - you can always return it or try something else.

Hope this helps a little.

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 61
Thanks for the recent replies.
Actually, yes, I have been in contact with Headroom asking some of these questions. The tech there now believes that there might be something amiss with my Little More Power amp. It should deliver a Lot More Power than it seems to be providing. He even wondered whether there might be a problem with my hearing
eek.gif
(there isn't, thank goodness).

So I'm sending the amp in for his inspection. All potential "moves" are on hold until I get the verdict.

But in a separate discussion the guys at Headroom told me that the Micro DAC would match up well with a (healthy) Little More Power amp, so I shouldn't have to buy another amp to go with a small DAC.

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #19 of 61
Good Luck -- hopefully you will get your "Little" back working well & you'll be satisfied w/that!

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 61
I'm 'bumping' this thread because I found out that there apparently is nothing wrong with my Headroom Little More Power headphone amp. And someday Headroom will return it to me
mad.gif
When they do, I will be back in the market for "improvements" in my system. I actually decided to go ahead and purchase a Micro DAC from them, which will, if nothing else, strengthen the signal from the digital output of a PCDP.

But basically what I would need next is a good/reliable cd transport of some kind, and I will, I hope, really be back in business.
My system will be: cd transport (?) ---> Headrom Micro DAC---->Headroom Little More Power amp---->headphones, including Senn HD-600, Ety ER-4S, ATH-A900LTD.

So I'm asking for suggestions for a good-quality cd transport with a reasonably small footprint. I'd hate to spend much more than $500, but I could be convinced to spend a bit more.

I actually was intrigued by the NEC Multispin cd-rom drive idea, but I don't seem to be able to find exactly what was suggested. Does it have to be a 6x model, or will any in this series do? Pardon my ignorance
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 61
Check Audiogon for a CAL Delta transport at all of $295. GREAT deal, small footprint, AES/EBU out as well as coax, and it was confirmed to me it reads CD-R's. I would buy it myself, but my "Check Engine Light" just went on in my car, and I need to hedge my spending right now
frown.gif

It may be sold, but maybe not.....

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
How about for $79.99?

The size and price are right, and all I need it for is the transport and digital output. But realistically, is there a "get what you pay for" aspect to this? What problems would be associated with using a $79 cd transport? At the level of overall components I am using (not really audiophile, sorry), would I likely notice the difference?

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Check Audiogon for a CAL Delta transport at all of $295. GREAT deal, small footprint, AES/EBU out as well as coax, and it was confirmed to me it reads CD-R's. I would buy it myself, but my "Check Engine Light" just went on in my car, and I need to hedge my spending right now
frown.gif

It may be sold, but maybe not.....

The condition is listed as "7/10," and is being sold "as is." What kinds of things go into these ratings? Is it just that it's been used and it might have a few cosmetic marks, likely? I know this is a terrific unit.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg
The size and price are right, and all I need it for is the transport and digital output. But realistically, is there a "get what you pay for" aspect to this? What problems would be associated with using a $79 cd transport? At the level of overall components I am using (not really audiophile, sorry), would I likely notice the difference?

Actually, my whirlwind research shows that this unit formerly sold for about three times this much. Not audiophile, but adequate for my modest needs? It's tempting.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 61
I gotta say that teac player is a huge bargain at that price. I have the reference series receiver and it is built solid. with the digital out to a dac I think you would have all you need and more.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #28 of 61
certainly not the most attractive cd player on earth!

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
I gotta say that teac player is a huge bargain at that price. I have the reference series receiver and it is built solid. with the digital out to a dac I think you would have all you need and more.

Yeah, I did some online research and it seems like an excellent deal, though certainly it's not on a par with the higher-end suggestions that people have made (and thanks for all suggestions). But for my relatively modest needs, I think this is just about perfect, including the compact footprint. And the truth is, I don't really care what my audio equipment looks like, as long as it performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back