A good DAC for the AD700?
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shippers

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of AD700 and want to use them with both my PC and PS3 (for gaming, music, movies.. pretty much all-round).

I've searched around and saw that the Mixamp would be my best bet, but the problem with it being that the shipping via the Astro website pretty much doubles its price (124$ shipping), so that doesn't look like a reasonable option.

The Turtlebeach DSS2 seemed like a good alternative, especially since i don't really need a mic, but from reading the spec i understood that they have no USB audio input (like the Mixamp seems to have), which is essential because i don't want to use my PC's soundcard as it already has speakers connected to it, which I'd really like to keep there.

Another alternative i found was the NuForce Icon uDAC-2.. but from my understanding, this one doesn't seem to have Dolby capabilities, which wouldn't allow me to enjoy the AD700's full capabilities.

(Please do correct me if I'm mistaken about the DSS/uDAC-2's specs :) )

My question basically is whether there are any other good alternatives to go with the setup (other than a full on desktop DAC), or is the Mixamp still my best/only option?

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Sounds like you do not need a DAC at all. You're already getting audio source from your PC & PS3. And the AD700 does not need an amplifier what so ever. So it sounds to me like your'e just looking for something that has 3rd party "surround sound" virtualization. If that's the case, the Mixamp is pretty much it for you if you want something discreet. Otherwise, if on the PC, you can get a very inexpensive Xonar DG ($30) which has dolby headphone. Input from the PS3 to it (line in), enable dolby headphone, and plug in your headphones. You get dolby headphone from both your PC and PS3 that way, using a $30 sound card.

Very best,

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
So just have 2 cards installed on my PC? haven't thought about that :)

Won't it ruin the sound from the PS3 though considering the Xonar's input is analog?

Unless you buy something like the TBS DSS or DSS2, Astro Mix-amp. a receiver or external DAC,
analog out is what's left for output from the PS3.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Unless you buy something like the TBS DSS or DSS2, Astro Mix-amp. a receiver or external DAC,
analog out is what's left for output from the PS3.

That's what I thought :/

If only that DSS2 had a usb input..
Seems like overdoing it if i get DSS2 + the Xonar just to get sound off my PC.

Guess i'll have to find a way to get a Mixamp without that ridiculous shipping free.

Thanks for the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back