A good classical music CD for a beginner?
Nov 8, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dvorak or Schubert are the 2 composers I would recommend. A symphony may be a little heavy for a beginner though. I would suggest Dvorak's Serenade for strings or Schubert's trout quintet.

Trout is a decent suggestion. I'd stay away from Schubert's symphonies though, they are weird and boring IMO.
biggrin.gif

You can't go too wrong with Beethoven or Mozart. But for a first CD I'd suggest The Four Seasons (Vivaldi). A classic performance like Loveday or Kennedy. If that doesn't get your blood pumping, maybe put it down for a few years and try again later.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #19 of 25
Check the link in my sig for recs of good classical CD's ordered by music period and by composer.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 25
Nov 10, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say a "safe" way to introduce yourself to classical music is to try a piece from different eras. You may love Mozart but not Bach, or you may love Bach but not Holst, or Holst but not Beethoven. Chances are you will love all of them. I think its hard to get an appropriate introduction to such a vast and brilliant catalog BUT if I had to recommend a single starting CD the easy choice for me is Beethoven's 5th Symphony conducted by Carlos Kleiber and the Vienna Phil. Not only is this piece the most well known work ever written, but this recording remains amongst the 10 greatest selling single recordings of classical music. It is the standard and most renowned version.

It is a heavy work yes, pieces like the Dvorak 9th or Holst's planets are certainly more tuneful, but Beethoven's 5th remains the most discussed work in classical music history alongside the composer's own 9th symphony. I hope you purchase this and tell us what you think.

It is also handsomely coupled with an equally outstanding version of Beethoven's 7th which is almost as great as the 5th.

Great advice here.Everybody knows the beginning of the 5th,but not so many know how absolutely incredible is that symphony,there are no dull moments at all.It hasn't become a cliché for nothing...

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 25
I don't think this gets said enough in these types of threads, but I would like to suggest you go for a great performace rather than a sampler disk. I know for one that is how I fell in love with classical music, a good recording of a great performace brings me much further into the peice. Pick a piece that interests you and the head-fi community can point you in the direction of a couple of the best versions. For example, my suggestion would be Tchaikovsky's Symphonies Nos. 4 - 6. conducted by Mravinski. Transparently recorded and, if not flawlessly performed, it still rocks, especially the 3rd movement of the 6th which puts Metalica to shame.

Amazon.com: Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 4, 5, 6 "Pathetique": Music: Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky,Yevgeny Mravinsky,Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #25 of 25
Don't get a sampler. If anything, hit the local Borders or Barnes & Noble and get some of the $4-$7 bargain classical discs. Most aren't half bad.

Try Beethoven's 6th, Bizet's Carmen, Holst's Planets, Handel's Water Music, and Bach's English Suites.

If you want something a little edgy, pick up Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. That's a real favorite of mine. It grows on you.

For a little 20th century classical by someone still alive, try something by Arvo Part. Te Deum is a good place to start. Different, but soothing and it'll worm its way into your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back