A good book about jazz?
Jul 14, 2002 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wab

500+ Head-Fier
I'm really getting into jazz lately, but sometimes I feel a bit lost. I get the feeling I'm missing a lot of what's going on.
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good book about jazz. I already checked that "Jazz for Dummies" thing but it wasn't much more than some biographies, not really what I'm looking for.

Jul 15, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 11
The best general overview of jazz that I have ever read is Ted Gioia's "The History of Jazz" by Oxford University Press.

It's available in paperback for about $15.95, is 471 pages and covers everything from the pre-jazz history which impacted jazz and led to its development to the current jazz scene in all its fractured post-modern glory.

It does a very good job of striking a balance between covering all the necessary points and not getting bogged down in un-necessary details while also zooming in for some fascinating details, musical analysis, and anecdotes.

There isn't a better concise and reader friendly introduction to jazz than Gioia's IMO.

Jul 15, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks Milestones it sounds like an interesting read. I also enjoy reading about the Bluesmen of old as well. There are some great stories out there.

Jul 15, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks Milestones, sounds like a very cool book. I'll order it ASAP!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 11
The autobiography by Miles Davis is an excellent book. Even though this is not a Jazz History book; Miles talks about Jazz so much that it is actually an education in Jazz. He knew and played with so many of the late great Jazz Musicians like Charlie Parker and John Coltrane etc... and he goes quite into detail about the Jazz scene back in the 50's and 60's.

Jul 15, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 11
If you *really* want to learn about jazz do what I did--pick up an instrument and get a teacher. :wink:

I start guitar lessons tonight for the first time in over 10 years. I want to learn to play straight-ahead jazz.

Jul 16, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm currently reading Gary Giddins' Visions of Jazz. I thoroughly recommend it.

If you watched Ken Burns' jazz documentary, you'll remember Giddins, who was one of the most heavily featured talking heads (and also the one who saved it from being a total wash, IMHO). The nice thing about Giddins (and it's certainly reflected in his book) is his appreciation for the *whole* jazz tradition--he loves Armstrong, but also has plenty of good things to say about Cecil Taylor, for instance. He's also a fine writer--a lot of jazz writing isn't all that much fun to read because it's just not that good, but Giddins has the gift.

Jul 16, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 11
I'll second the recommendation for Giddin's "Visions of Jazz" - or any of Giddin's books for that matter. IMHO he is the best jazz writer alive today.

However, "Visions of Jazz" does not make a good introduction for someone just getting into jazz IMO. It is a series of essays each of which focuses on a different jazz artist and does not provide much direction with regards to the different jazz styles and eras, etc. Because it is a series of essays about musicians which were not originally written to be strung together in book form - it doesn't "cover all the bases" that a newbie would need to now to appreciate the scope and development of jazz.

After you get your feet good and wet - by all means check out "Visions of Jazz" - as it is an incredibly well written and engrossing book full of tremendous enthusiasm for the music and Giddin's gift for lyrical prose. In fact - it might very well be the best written book on jazz that I have ever read (the sections on Pops and Bird are particuarly good IMO).

For an introduction to jazz - I would still recommend Gioia's "History of Jazz" as a logical starting point.

Jul 16, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 11
If you are looking for books that are a little more specific, and give details regarding artists' lives, you may want to look at books like "Jaco" and "Miles".

"Jaco" deals with the life of Jaco Pastorious, a famous bassist whose most famous for playing with Weather Report.

"Miles" is the autobiography of Miles Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back