A good amp for both the Senns 650 and the AKG K702.
Apr 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 15
The Heed is legendary for its synergy with the 701/702/712.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Burson Soloist (and I assume also the Conductor). Very dynamic when I tested it on the K701 and Q701, lots of grunt and control, to the point that it sounds a lot more dynamic than the HD600/650 even on the same amp; think of the dynamics of the RS1 (on a good amp), but with much better imaging (wider and more proportionate soundstage with absolute none of that "trident" shape more prominent on the Prestige series, instruments more precisely located). Just goes to show how hungry the AKGs are for current, but although it gives a properly amped Grado-like dynamic range (but with better imaging), it's also great for driving the Sennheisers.

I actually thought the Meier Cantate.2 was great with both cans, but that was until I heard the Soloist on the AKGs.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 15
Asgard 2 wins out then, I'd say.  Pretty solid amp for the price.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 15
IMO the best for those two together is the Headroom Micro Amp + Astrodyne Power Supply if possible. That thing has tons of power and could even handle the HE-6 I think. Probably sweat a little.
There's almost nothing it can't handle. Pretty sure it outputs several hundred Jiggawatts into 32ohm. It's not a weak portable amp. Has a huge brick power supply.

Back years ago I had the Asgard 1 and it was just so-so. Not a fan of it and seemed best for the D2000 and HD-600, but not so much the HD-650. I had both the K601, K702 and HD-650/600.

For some reason I did not have a good experience with the Asgard 2 at all and hated it. I know a lot of people love it. I probably would with a thin/bright headphone like the DT-990 or Grado SR-325i.

Micro is dead neutral, but not cold/analytical. It has a touch of warmth kind of. The closest match i've heard is the iFi ican, but even that is a downgrade.

OK, but too bad the Micro is discontinued. Should be easy to find used though. I paid $350 for mine and if it dies i'm going to pay up to $500 for another. I'd like to get an M-Stage just for comparison.
I bet they're close in sound, but perhaps the M-Stage is very slightly darker/warmer? Micro could probably be found for $250, but it's worth full price.

I think if you want to hear both like their supposed to sound, the Micro is it. The Asgard 2 definitely sounded more colored to me and much warmer for sure. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 15
If anything, I'd say the Asgard 2 leans to the bright side and is definitely not a warm amp.  The Asgard 1 is warm and fluid, but the Asgard 2 is a little more etched and slightly leaner.

We all hear things differently.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 15
So right now I'm thinking about either a Meier Corda JAZZ or a Schiit Asgard II. I've heard a lot about the Asgard II not sounding as good as the first one, so I think I'll go with the Corda Jazz.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 15
A lot has been said about the differences between the Asgards, and it's a matter of personal preference.  When I listen to both of mine, and then really think about it, it call comes down to the A1 being more forgiving than the A2.  For some, that's good.  For others, that's bad.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 15
How would the Matrix M Stage sound with these headphones ? (Or more like, how would these headphones sound like with the amp ! ^^)

Right now I have these in mind:

Matrix M-Stage
Schiit Asguard II
JDS Labs O2+ODAC Combo
Schiit Magni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back