A good amp for Alessandro MS1i's or do they need one?
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jiiikoo

New Head-Fier
Yesterday I placed an order for a pair of Alessandro MS1i's and I was wondering if they needed an amp, and if they do, what would you recommend? I would mostly be using them with my laptop to listen to music from Spotify Premium (highest quality setting).

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 3
IMO, the MS1i doesn't really benefit much with an amp -- mostly just a volume increase.  

But coming from a laptop with possibly a decent, but not great, internal audio processing, you might want to consider an DAC (or DAC/Amp) like the iBasso D-Zero or Fiio E10 or E17.  It will take the digital sound via usb and convert to analog for the MS1i, but it will have a much better DAC converter than most laptops.  That will give the MS1i a very clean signal without any system/circuitry noise which you often get with a laptop headphone out jack.

Good choice on the MS1i, BTW!

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
IMO, the MS1i doesn't really benefit much with an amp -- mostly just a volume increase.  

But coming from a laptop with possibly a decent, but not great, internal audio processing, you might want to consider an DAC (or DAC/Amp) like the iBasso D-Zero or Fiio E10 or E17.  It will take the digital sound via usb and convert to analog for the MS1i, but it will have a much better DAC converter than most laptops.  That will give the MS1i a very clean signal without any system/circuitry noise which you often get with a laptop headphone out jack.

Good choice on the MS1i, BTW!

I've heard quite alot good things about the Fiios, so I just might consider getting one of those. And thank you for your assistance. Lets hope I get my hands on them ASAP. George e-mailed me that he will ship them by friday. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back