a general question about IEM
Apr 14, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

edb

100+ Head-Fier
I got my UE super.fi 3 studio yesterdays, it's my first IEM, so I am not sure if what I experienced is normal for all IEM. The IEM comes with a few pairs of eartips of different size, I tried all of them. The small and med tips fit well.
But when I put on the earphone and there is no music, I can hear my heartbeat (tiny though) and my breath. The sound of my breath comes from within my skull. And when I walk, I can hear resonance with ear canal. Is that nomal for IEM?

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by edb
I got my UE super.fi 3 studio yesterdays, it's my first IEM, so I am not sure if what I experienced is normal for all IEM. The IEM comes with a few pairs of eartips of different size, I tried all of them. The small and med tips fit well.
But when I put on the earphone and there is no music, I can hear my heartbeat (tiny though) and my breath. The sound of my breath comes from within my skull. And when I walk, I can hear resonance with ear canal. Is that nomal for IEM?

yup, that's normal. they block out sound from the outside, but echo everything inside. generally it doesn't bother me as the trade off between noisy SF subway v. my head doesn't even come close...

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 14
just play your music, so you wont hear yourself
biggrin.gif

but yeah, i went through the same things when i first got my E2C's. just something you get used to.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
yup, that's normal. they block out sound from the outside, but echo everything inside. generally it doesn't bother me as the trade off between noisy SF subway v. my head doesn't even come close...

So, that makes IEMs bad for sports, the resonance of my steps is too loud to ruin music.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by edb
So, that makes IEMs bad for sports, the resonance of my steps is too loud to ruin music.

very bad for sports; for that i think maybe an ear clip or PMX100 would be a good idea.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 14
If you put them in your ears and then eat something, without playing any music, it can be creepy. Which begs the question, why would you do that?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, edb, that's part of the tradeoff. Don't obsess over it, and just play music to make you forget that. I hope you enjoy your earphones.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 14
Like others have already said, you get used to it. Just play your music and enjoy. Or drink a glass of water while you have them on--freaky.

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 14
I've been intrigued by IEMs for some time (haven't got a portable setup yet though), but I've noticed that many of them have comparable or higher prices to full-sized cans. Say, if I wanted to get one just for the sake of trying, which comes recommended? Also, for hygienic reasons, I trust most of everyone agree with me that it's better to buy new than used, yes?

Apr 14, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 14
On the subject NEw vs Used: What you actually stick into your ear are the tips, so you just want to be using new tips (foam, comply, flange...) the tube that feeds the sound can be cleaned from earwax with an included accesory. No real reason to worry too much about higiene with used IEMs, I think.

About the body noise amplification: its more or less the same as what you experience with earplugs. Its not THAT exagerted in my case, hearing your footsteps at time can be bothersome, but the rest kind of disapears as your brain learns to ignore it.

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 14
"which comes recommended?"

For the sake of trying, simple canal phones such as the Sennheisers and the Creatives would be a good, reasonable starting point (search these forums for "Sennheiser Creative canal phones" or something like that). Somewhat isolating and pretty good sounding ... and not so expensive as to be intimidating or bankrupting.

For the sake of trying something a little higher up the in-ear food chain, consider in-ear monitors (IEMs) such as the Etymotics ER-6i's, Westone UM1's, Shure E2's or E3's, etc. These would isolate more effectively and in most cases sound somewhat better. A little more effort learning to put them in and take them out -- and to get the right fit for best isolation and sound -- but not as complicated as some of us make it seem. These are especially useful on airplanes and other modes of transportation.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 14
If you use foamies, the microphonics are greatly reduced - often to the point that you may not notice them at all.
Also, iem beginners have a tendency to fear inserting them as deeply as they are intended to be used.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
If you put them in your ears and then eat something, without playing any music, it can be creepy. Which begs the question, why would you do that?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, edb, that's part of the tradeoff. Don't obsess over it, and just play music to make you forget that. I hope you enjoy your earphones.

Try eating potato chips.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back