A free parametric equalizer for Windows Vista, 7, and 8 that doesn't need ASIO or VST, it works inline at the OS level
May 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #47 of 172
Quote:
Does it support shelving filters? if so anyone know the syntax?  I didn't see it mentioned on sourceforge and I don't want to install java (yuck) just for REQ wizard.

I just released version 0.8, which now has support for shelving filters, among others. You can see the syntax in the documentation wiki on SourceForge (it's the syntax also used by REW).

Although Java has gotten some negative reputation these days for its security issues, I recommend installing Room EQ Wizard because it works like a GUI for designing Equalizer APO filter configurations.

May 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #48 of 172
Quote:

I just released version 0.8, which now has support for shelving filters, among others. You can see the syntax in the documentation wiki on SourceForge (it's the syntax also used by REW).

Although Java has gotten some negative reputation these days for its security issues, I recommend installing Room EQ Wizard because it works like a GUI for designing Equalizer APO filter configurations.

great! i hope you also added the part about making sure the disable all enhancemants box is unchecked in the enhancements tab with in the system mixer.   I was stuck on that one for a long time.

May 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #50 of 172
congratulations on getting it working. I almost forget I have it turned on sometimes. It just makes my audio sound great!. One piece of advice is try to do your EQ settings to always cut, not boost, and remove the -8 preamp from the main config file. You can use # in front of a line to turn it off.

This makes it easier to switch headphone profiles without having to modify other files. I have a script I wrote to make switching profiles as easy as clicking a button.

May 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #51 of 172
Quote:
Confirmed working on ODAC. Great find!.

Does it support shelving filters? if so anyone know the syntax?  I didn't see it mentioned on sourceforge and I don't want to install java (yuck) just for REQ wizard.

To do shelving you will want to decrease the Q so it covers a wider range of frequencies. I advise you to use the roomEQ graphical tool to visualize where the crossover points will be. I don't know why you would want to shelve in that way though.

May 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #52 of 172
Quote:
Would be nice if someone would write a GUI for editing and switching between presets etc...

To easily switch between presets, just have several .txt files and name each one "DT880, Q701 etc" then when you want to switch profiles just edit the config.txt file and put a # in front of the ones you don't want active, and delete the # from the profile you want.

IE

preamp -7
#DT880.txt
#Q701.txt
DT990.txt

and hit save. I have it scripted on my box to do this easily.

May 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #53 of 172
Quote:
To easily switch between presets, just have several .txt files and name each one "DT880, Q701 etc" then when you want to switch profiles just edit the config.txt file and put a # in front of the ones you don't want active, and delete the # from the profile you want.

IE

preamp -7
#DT880.txt
#Q701.txt
DT990.txt

and hit save. I have it scripted on my box to do this easily.

That's what I'm doing right now... :wink:
But seeing that you can even edit "on the fly" (so a GUI would just need to load/edit/save txt files) I wondered why there isn't one.

May 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 172
Hm. Interesting. Might need to check this out in the event the foo bar eq is unavailable

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #55 of 172
Quote:
Filter Settings file

Room EQ V5.01
Dated: 29.02.2012 20:04:50

Notes:Q701 q of 2.8 is 1/2 octave  q of 1 is 1 1/3 octave

I've tried Kodhifi's Q701 settings on a pair of skullcrushers and an iHome desktop speaker (my office at work) and with most of the music I've tried I'm hearing a slight pulsing between highs & lows.  I understand that these settings weren't meant for either of my devices but I needed a starting point and when I'm hooked up to my port replicator at work I have no control over the system audio other than volume up/down.  So with this currently I have to set preamp gain to +6 or greater, otherwise I must turn system audio to 80% or more to hear it clearly at my desk three feet from speaker.

I understand that none of the hardware I mentioned is an audiophile's dream, and that I shouldn't need to set the preamp gain this high or play with this much 'Q' for everyday listening but I'm looking for some direction as to clear up this pulsing that I hear between the lows & vocals/highs.  Is it just my ears?

With my last work laptop I could set the iHome to about 20% volume and the system volume to a very moderate level and hear everything very clearly and music was crisp.  This is obviously a difference in audio cards but now my system volume is 70-80% and the iHome is at about 50% and I feel like something is missing.  This was my initial reason for finding Equalizer APO, now I can see the potential there but not sure how to fine tune it for my personal hearing.  I'm an electronics technician and familiar with communications equipment but spectral analysis of audio waves and 'Q' is new to me.  I can see the waveform for each band in REW but don't have enough time to experiment with everything.

I guess I've not been real clear to this point as to what I'm looking for, does anyone have any recommended settings for small desktop speakers or bass-heavy headphones using Equalizer APO?  A good starting point would be great, I can fine tune it from there.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #56 of 172
Hey guys I have hyperacusis so I'm looking to get rid of all high pitched sounds from my pc.

But I'm audio stupid and the app that APO tells you to download doesn't work for me.

So I was wondering if someone could help me setting up the syntax for removing higher tones that would be awesome of you guys! :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #58 of 172
hi guys,
Amazing little tool.

Works with my fiio e17/09k combo

You can use Electric-Q togehter with foobar to create your preferred EQ curve.
Then use those numbers and write them into the textfile.
Though you have to do a conversion from BW (Bandwith) to Q (Quality factor)

Use this site to do the math for you:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

I'm working on a good setting for my HD800.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #59 of 172
Here are the settings for my HD800

Notes:HD800
Equaliser: FBQ2496
No measurement
Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 20,0 Hz Gain 7,0 dB BW Oct 2,000
Filter 2: ON PEQ Fc 5.300 Hz Gain -5,0 dB BW Oct 0,400
Filter 3: ON PEQ Fc 7.300 Hz Gain -6,0 dB BW Oct 0,200
Filter 4: ON PEQ FC 11000,0 Hz Gain -4,0 dB BW Oct 0,200

It's mainly a lower bass boost without affecting midbass much.
And evening out peaks in the upper midrange/lower treble.

This makes the HD800 more relaxed and helps reducing harshness with some recordings.

Oh, and preamp needs to be set at -7dB

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #60 of 172
Kodhifi,

Thank you so much for posting.  I installed EQ/APO and it works great (mostly).  I actually have AKG Q-701s and your curve was a great starting point for me.  Thank you for your tips on how to make changing EQ curves easy.

When I installed EQ/APO, initially it worked with the Realtek soundcard on my Toshiba P875-S7102 Windows 8, 64 bit laptop.  Then I installed my external Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 model SB1090 USB card and it works fine with that, too.  Now I notice that when I switch back to the on-board Realtek sound card, the EQ doesn't work.  I have tested it by altering the config.txt to be preamp -10db and there is no change in volume.  I did the re-run the "Configurator" app to make sure the Realtek was selected properly on all tabs and rebooted.  Still no effect using the Realtek on-board sound.  I also noticed that the in the "Enhancements" tab in the control panel for the Reatek, all the enhancements are gone except for "Loudness Equalization."  Did you notice anything similar happen in going back to your original on-board sound card?   Am I missing something that will allow the on-board card to work again with EQ/APO?

I like having the option to use the on-board Realtek with the EQ/APO because I don't always lug around my external sound card when I take my laptop on the road.

Any info you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back