A free parametric equalizer for Windows Vista, 7, and 8 that doesn't need ASIO or VST, it works inline at the OS level
Nov 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #77 of 172
Hmm ... if interested, there's now a 10-band Multichannel (mono-7.1) Parametric Equalizer GUI available you can use with Equalizer APO...

http://jiiteepee.tripod.com/home.html

jiiteepee

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #78 of 172
It's gratifying to know that some people have had good luck with this program. It managed to hose a Windows 7 Professional OS for me that I have spent the past two days getting back to some semblance of the way it used to be. I couldn't boot into safe mode, restore to last known good configuration, or anything. It was all gone...had to start from scratch. I did learn a valuable lesson about keeping current backups on hand though! I've started doing that. I learned that lesson the hard way. I'm still looking for an equalizer program however.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #79 of 172
  It's gratifying to know that some people have had good luck with this program. It managed to hose a Windows 7 Professional OS for me that I have spent the past two days getting back to some semblance of the way it used to be. I couldn't boot into safe mode, restore to last known good configuration, or anything. It was all gone...had to start from scratch. I did learn a valuable lesson about keeping current backups on hand though! I've started doing that. I learned that lesson the hard way. I'm still looking for an equalizer program however.

I truly doubt this could crash you OS like that. It's part of the audio pipe line and it doesn't even install a driver unless you tell it to. Worst case scenario if it did cause a blue screen, simply booting to safe mode, or disabling the sound card would disable the driver and allow you to boot.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #80 of 172
  Hmm ... if interested, there's now a 10-band Multichannel (mono-7.1) Parametric Equalizer GUI available you can use with Equalizer APO...

jiiteepee

IT's cool that one of the community has coded this for us but I have strong reservations about that GUI. I don't think it's the GUI's fault for this because all it's doing is modifying a text file in next to real time. But what happens is that there are very loud 0db noises when dragging the sliders up or down that make it not only impossible to use due to the loud and annoying noises it makes, but could actually destroy your amp, your headphones, or your ears.

Still usable if you turn off EQ, make the change to a slider, then turn EQ back on.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #81 of 172

I truly doubt this could crash you OS like that. It's part of the audio pipe line and it doesn't even install a driver unless you tell it to. Worst case scenario if it did cause a blue screen, simply booting to safe mode, or disabling the sound card would disable the driver and allow you to boot.

You may be right as I did download a small Microsoft update about that time. I'm just passing along my experience is all.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #82 of 172

But what happens is that there are very loud 0db noises when dragging the sliders up or down that make it not only impossible to use due to the loud and annoying noises it makes, but could actually destroy your amp, your headphones, or your ears.

Really?
blink.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #83 of 172

jiiteepee

Thanks! It looks really good.

Just one thing, the software seems to output "BW oct" to the text file instead of "BW Oct" so the filters don't work unless I manually fix the case.

When I move a slider, it does seem to get louder or distort while the slider is held. Is it attempting to edit the file real-time as the slider changes instead of just after it is released?

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #84 of 172
I'm going to update the software today (that "bug" is fixed there aswell).

These GUIs which stears EqAPO through its config file are just interim solutions. I believe someone soon writes software which has those APO functions in-build.

BTW, I'm going to release another version of that 10-band parametric EQ ... this new version allows selection of filter type and BW/Q. Still got little to do but maybe v.0.10 comes out next weekend.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #86 of 172
  Really?
blink.gif

I was listening to music at moderate level when I moved the first slider. I jumped out of my socks and I saw stars from both drivers simultaneously slapping my ear drums at the same time. When I say 0db I mean it made the loudest possible sound it could in the digital domain.

The GUI isn't making the loud noises, it's the EQ wrapper but it's not usually a problem because any clicks from adjusting the text file are over as soon as they begin. But dragging a slider it seems to be updating the .txt file in near real time, resulting in thousands of updates a second, which leads to sound so loud it can tear a driver. I'm very lucky I didn't permanently damage my DT990's.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #87 of 172
Updated both software to version 0.35.

Improved the config.txt writing process so that on EQ31GUI-2, file writing happens every 0.15 seconds and on PEQGUI-10MC, it's possible to adjust the delay between writes through config file (peqgui10mc.ini).

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #88 of 172
Updated PEQGUI-10MC software to version 0.35.

Now it's possible to load background image into Graphics chart (this helps in building the filter (as for an example) to compensate frequency response of headphones/speakers).

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #90 of 172
  Updated both software to version 0.35.

Improved the config.txt writing process so that on EQ31GUI-2, file writing happens every 0.15 seconds and on PEQGUI-10MC, it's possible to adjust the delay between writes through config file (peqgui10mc.ini).

Did this fix problem what Kodhifi was talking about? I would like to try this with my Fiio E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back